How could this turn out?

C

chipmunn

I do not like the current state of US Airways or the position our employees find them self in, but in my opinion management will do whatever is necessary to survive this financial crisis.
As the clock ticks down towards US Airways filing its Plan of Reorganization now scheduled for December 9, listed below is an option on how pending management-union negotiations could pan out:
1. ALPA will reach an accord to place 70 and 78-seat RJs on the mainline as a separate division (that will not be included in the new 279 aircraft mainline fleet count), with the pay, work rules, and benefit’s the average of Atlantic Coast, Comair, and Continental Express. The pilots union will also agree to pension changes to prevent the PBGC from taking control of the fund. On December 2, the MEC will meet to discuss productivity and benefit change options, which will lead to a deal.
2. The AFA has already witnessed its productivity job loss due to the company going to minimum staffing. In addition, the flight attendants could have unilateral contract changes implemented due to its “me tooâ€￾ clause. If the AFA refuses to negotiate pension changes, the union could have its retirement fund terminated by the PBGC.
3. The IAM-M and CWA have witnessed some of their productivity cuts due to the TPA facility closings.
4. The three TWU units will reach accords.
5. The IAM-FSA and CWA have less to give and their situation is far less certain.
For the non-flight crew unions, if an individual union does not agree to productivity and benefit changes, the union could see the PBGC cancel their pension plan and if necessary, the court could impose contract changes, regardless of the S.1113 letter, if this is necessary for the company to emerge from bankruptcy. Has Judge Mitchell ever turned down a company motion?
The final board option would be fragmentation and then liquidation; however, if necessary, with cost savings from pension terminations, court imposed contract changes, and more layoffs; management has the hammers in place to obtain the required labor cuts necessary to qualify for the final credit facility payment, the loan guarantee, equity investment, and emerge from bankruptcy.
Chip

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/1/2002 10:56:07 PM chipmunn wrote:
[P]I do not like the current state of US Airways or the position our employees find them self in, but in my opinion management will do whatever is necessary to survive this financial crisis.[BR][BR]As the clock ticks down towards US Airways filing its Plan of Reorganization now scheduled for December 9, listed below is an option on how pending management-union negotiations could pan out:[BR][BR]1. ALPA will reach an accord to place 70 and 78-seat RJs on the mainline as a separate division (that will not be included in the new 279 aircraft mainline fleet count), with the pay, work rules, and benefit’s the average of Atlantic Coast, Comair, and Continental Express. The pilots union will also agree to pension changes to prevent the PBGC from taking control of the fund. On December 2, the MEC will meet to discuss productivity and benefit change options, which will lead to a deal.[BR][BR]2. The AFA has already witnessed its productivity job loss due to the company going to minimum staffing. In addition, the flight attendants could have unilateral contract changes implemented due to its “me tooâ€￾ clause. If the AFA refuses to negotiate pension changes, the union could have its retirement fund terminated by the PBGC. [BR][BR]3. The IAM-M and CWA have witnessed some of their productivity cuts due to the TPA facility closings.[BR][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]That smacks of management vengance doesn't it?You didnt play by our rules,now well spank you good?[/FONT][/STRONG][BR][BR]4. The three TWU units will reach accords.[STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Exactly how many employees? 100? 150 tops? Right, big bucks haversted there.[/FONT][/STRONG][BR][BR]5. The IAM-FSA and CWA have less to give and their situation is far less certain.[BR][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]They've been bled dry,cast them aside is that what youre saying?[/FONT][/STRONG][BR][BR]For the non-flight crew unions, if an individual union does not agree to productivity and benefit changes, the union could see the PBGC cancel their pension plan and if necessary, the court could impose contract changes, regardless of the S.1113 letter, if this is necessary for the company to emerge from bankruptcy. Has Judge Mitchell ever turned down a company motion?[BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Blackmail man,nothing more than Lorenzo style blackmail.So those 1113 letters you were squawkin about could be used as toilet paper...because according to you they arent worth the paper they are written on.[/FONT][/STRONG][BR][BR][BR][BR]The final board option would be fragmentation and then liquidation; however, if necessary, with cost savings from pension terminations, court imposed contract changes, and more layoffs; management has the "hammers" in place to obtain the required labor cuts necessary to qualify for the final credit facility payment, the loan guarantee, equity investment, and emerge from bankruptcy. [BR][BR]Chip[/P]----------------[BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Hammers that mr.friendly seems more than willing to use to bash his employees into bloody submission with.It is no different than getting mugged and then pistol whipped because the mugger is angry you arent carrying enough cash.[BR][BR]You are a piece of work chip, you are so management oriented its almost funny.Dave can do no wrong, other groups lack your vision and as such need to be educated by you on these boards.What do you think will happen to the morale around here if mr friendly gets his extortion list granted? its already in the crapper,take away even more and watch the fun begin.[BR][BR]You post articles about the end of the airline industry as weve known it but on the other hand you urge us to dig deeper and give more or else mr friendly will go to court and bugger us even harder than he already has.[BR]suppose we give again and things dont improve? isnt that what youve been saying?We give again, things dont change and the doors still close before the summer.[BR][BR]I wish this board had an ignore feature, your prespective and constant support of managemnt cuts,furloughs and givebacks has really realllllly gotten tired.[BR][/FONT][/STRONG][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P] [/P]

How can U emerge from bankruptcy with no customers,high costs, not enough employees to serve the few remaining passengers as the lines go out the door and the wait times to speak to a human exceed 20 minutes, not to mention the non accesibility of agents overnight. As a customer experiencing such poor service, or even just by word of mouth(isn't that what we were taught in PPF?), I would choose another passenger friendly airline if given the choice as I do with other businesses who do not satisfactorily and expeditiously service me as a customer.
I am sorry but I join the thousands of others who see no future for this dead mismanaged maimed horse called US.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/2/2002 12:36:32 AM PineyBob wrote:
[OL]
[LI]OK Fork Time, you are extremely talented at critisizing anyone who doesn't agree with you. So enlighten us please as to EXACTLY you would have done if you were Dave Siegel! Enquiring minds want to know! At least this one does. Share with us your obvious genius. Explain to us how YOU would revive US Air. [BR][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Treat the employees as the valuable assets they are instead of liabilities.Negotitate in good faith,dont issue wish lists that end with "If you dont play along we'll toss it all in court".[BR][/FONT][/STRONG][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Adjust the fare structure,examine what america west did and see how we can map it to our route structure.Then advertise the hell out of it.[/FONT][/STRONG][BR][BR][BR]Guys like you give unions a bad name, playing right into the bombastic stereotype that MOST americans have of union members. That of overpaid, fat, lazy whiners who have no idea what the real (Read non-union) world is like.[BR][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Guys like me Bob? Guys like me are screwing the wives of guys like you while you are out happily flying US Airways while wearing your roach pin.[BR][BR]Guys like me service your Jag and your Beamer and charge you 100.00 an hour labor rates because guys like you like to play with the toys, not fix them.[BR]Guys like me come to your house at 4 am when the hot water heater rusts out and floods you basement.[BR]Guys like me come and service your central air in july because you are all hot and sweaty.[BR][BR]I'm not fat Bob, I am in excellent shape,ran in the NYC marathon in fact.[BR][BR][BR][/FONT][/STRONG]Shareholders come first.[BR][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]Not in bankruptcy they dont,in bankruptcy creditors come first.[/FONT][/STRONG][BR] [BR][BR][BR][BR]Tell us what to do now that you are Dave Siegel! We are waiting![BR][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]To be honest, I'd pull the D Ring and deploy that parachute of gold.[BR][BR][BR]Now Bob, YOU'RE Dave Seigel, tell us what YOU'D do! Tell us,the employees would love to know HOW YOU are going to reinvent this place.[BR][BR]Come on Bob, tell all of us "Fat Lazy Bombastic" union types how a visionary like yourself would do it.[BR][BR]We're waiting[BR][/FONT][/STRONG]----------------[/LI][/OL][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]