how do you want to board

FCFS - only if every non-rev in the out station checked in online earlier than any hub based non-rev.

That's what i'm saying!
Employees in the out station have the opportunity to check-in up to several HOURS before a hub employee.
It seems like it would only be fair if every employee was given the chance to check-in at the same time for every flight.

And only for flights outbound from the hub.

Isn't that about half of our flights?

The advantage on "through" flts makes sense.....but not connections.
IMHO

That's what i'm saying!
Employees in the out station have the opportunity to check-in up to several HOURS before a hub employee.
It seems like it would only be fair if every employee was given the chance to check-in at the same time for every flight.
Isn't that about half of our flights?

The advantage on "through" flts makes sense.....but not connections.
IMHO
Yes, the current system is a slight disadvantage to those that do not have connections. However, without the current system, those making connections would have an even larger disadvantage, since most connection times are around an hour or two. The employees not making connections would still have a 12 hour window to check in for the flight.

However, without the current system, those making connections would have an even larger disadvantage, since most connection times are around an hour or two.

Huh? You can check-in 12 hours before your flight.
The only way it's fair is to check-in for each flight seperately with-in the 12-hour window.

Am I missing something here?

I could be considered something of a "poster child" for a seniority (really longevity) based system, given my 27 years.

I've literally listed walking to the gate on many occassions, content in the knowledge that I would get on if there were any empty seats.

My youngest daughter, when she still had non-rev priveledges, showed up for a LGW-CLT flight and got on, leaving people behind who had been trying to get home for 2, 3, and 4 days.

So I can't deny that a longevity-based system is great - when you have the longevity. No real planning required other than possibly checking to see if seats are available.

On the other hand, the "check-in window" when combined with the "checked in for 1st flight, checked in for the itinarary" has it's inequities also.

So I come down on the side of the method I consider most fair to the most non-revs. Given what I think I understand about the HP system, that's the side I come down on. Since I'm not the one making the decision, it's just my opinion.

Jim

I have heard that Shares can only sort the list by YEAR of hire, not by exact date. That leaves it up to the gate agents to sort by exact date. That seems like unnecessary work for the gate agents. Yes, Shares could probably be modified to sort by date--but why spend the time & money to do that?

Some people have advocated using seniority until 1 hour before departure, and then FCFS after that. It seems to me that the majority of non-revs don't show up much (if at all) before 1 hour anyway---especially a very senior person. So, that would make the entire process FCFS anyway!
==========================================================

Someone should send this in to the merger question people. The answer might prove enlightening....

Latest posts

Back