How much attention is paid to carry on pets?

Jun 29, 2020
Hi everyone!

Here’s my story behind the question..
My husband and I are getting a bloodhound puppy. Our plan was to drive to get the pup on our way to our new station (he’s army) but due to covid the move has been postponed and we’re going to be stuck in Alaska for a while longer. Obviously the puppy is large breed and will be about 15 lbs and around 10-12 inches tall at 8 weeks old. My question is, how much attention do the airline workers pay to the stand and turn around rule? I’m not worried about her laying in the carrier and she will likely sleep the entire trip anyways. I am worried that she will not “look” comfortable in the carrier and will be denied boarding. Before anyone gets upset, I’ve tried to think of every possible option of getting around having to fly her under the seat. Driving is impossible seeing as Canada won’t let me in right now because I’m not an essential worker, the ferry will mean the puppy is in the cargo hold for 5 days and only allowed out for 15 minutes at a time and the airline isn’t allowing checked pets at the moment (I do not want her in the cargo hold anyways!.) I’m completely stuck and I need to get her home. So for anyone who has experience with this please help! We’re flying American and Alaska Air.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi everyone!

Here’s my story behind the question..
My husband and I are getting a bloodhound puppy. Our plan was to drive to get the pup on our way to our new station (he’s army) but due to covid the move has been postponed and we’re going to be stuck in Alaska for a while longer. Obviously the puppy is large breed and will be about 15 lbs and around 10-12 inches tall at 8 weeks old. My question is, how much attention do the airline workers pay to the stand and turn around rule? I’m not worried about her laying in the carrier and she will likely sleep the entire trip anyways. I am worried that she will not “look” comfortable in the carrier and will be denied boarding. Before anyone gets upset, I’ve tried to think of every possible option of getting around having to fly her under the seat. Driving is impossible seeing as Canada won’t let me in right now because I’m not an essential worker, the ferry will mean the puppy is in the cargo hold for 5 days and only allowed out for 15 minutes at a time and the airline isn’t allowing checked pets at the moment (I do not want her in the cargo hold anyways!.) I’m completely stuck and I need to get her home. So for anyone who has experience with this please help! We’re flying American and Alaska Air.

Thanks in advance!!
I would hold off on getting the puppy!

If she's already sedated when you get to check-in, you've got a chance of maybe getting it past the check-in counter because nobody will see her standing. You'd better have a Plan B, though. Sedation doesn't always hold up.

Driving *thru* Canada is possible -- the article below specifically mentions pets.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...48-can-still-drive-home-heres-what-to-expect/
Thank you for that! I haven’t seen anything regarding it and it’s very possible that I’ll have to.

As far as checking dogs to fly them in the cargo hold....... just dont. I work for an airline. So I know , just dont do it.

It's horribly stressful on them. I wouldn't subject my dogs to it either.

You are asking an impossible question. The amount of attention paid is dependent on the Fleet Service Clerk loading your pet. I have to assume most people are not psycho and would treat your pet with respect and care.