How much $$ have you saved by flying WN?

scuba

Advanced
Dec 2, 2004
I want to thank everybody at Southwest for making the trips I've had to make this year to finalize an adoption the following three things.

1. Pleasant
2. Quick
3. Saving me money in the adoption process.

We recently finalized an adoption whereby we had to fly three times with four children (three under 2-the adoptees) and I must say, WN has earned the money we spent, but it was a pleasure to give it to them. We saved on the last trip alone $838 with the baggage, meals on board and the fare (mostly taxes to fly to cities we didn't need to fly to). We took my mom along and paid for her to travel since we saved so much, so really we didn't save $838 because her fare was $286, but it is BECAUSE Southwest doesn't charge for bags and every little thing you need to do, we were able to afford to take her along.

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to find out how much people have saved because they flew Southwest over another carrier, complie that and then let Southwest brag about that. It isn't the Southwest Effect, but an actual dollar amount saved.

To the crews on our flights, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
To the ground staff in the two cities, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
To the MGMT of Southwest, THANK YOU FOR MAKING US FREE TO MOVE ABOUT THE COUNTRY!

Actually, Southwest is not always the lowest price carrier on a particular route on a particular day, but in any market everyday you can expect they will charge a reasonable fare. Given that my airline (AA) may have 15 or 20 different fares for the same route depending not only on the day of the week you fly, but even the time of day you fly, I'm not surprised that Southwest's pricing model appeals to the general public. I looked up a fare on Southwest the other day out of curiosity. They had 3 fares for that route--Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away (some restrictions apply :lol: ).

However, when you add in the luggage charges, and the this fee and the that fee charged by other airlines, I'm sure that like you people are finding that they save money on Southwest. And, they don't care that a meal is not served (the phrase, airline food, is one of the great all time oxymorons) or that there is no F/C. For those people to whom it does matter, there are airlines like mine.

I think Southwest is a wonderful airline with an incredible group of employees. You did well by traveling with them.

And, congratulations on the additions to your family. You are a special person to take on that responsibility.

Jimntx

I was employed by one of your competitors who happens to be based in ORD, with hubs in SFO, LAX, DIA, IAD, LHR AND NRT from 1996 to 2005. However, I could no longer afford to live on the pay offered after two rounds of court ordered bankrutpcy.

Today my goal is to be hired by an airline, either WN or AA as I hope to move to Dallas.

I MISS FIRST CLASS! I miss Business Class, I miss International, I miss Hawaii but you know what I miss the most? The ability to pull up fares, for multiple carriers and then plan my trip accordingly and answer questions for my friends.

As for fares being the same.....back in 1990 I did a research/speach in my public speaking class on airlines and the pros/cons of deregulation. I chose a market, called every single carrier that flew between the two cities, this was before I knew how much went to various taxing authorities. When you add in the 10% that was given at the time to Travel Agents, you can still get a cheaper fare today, almost 18years later. I was just grateful to find a fare that I could afford to take my family to the finalization.

By the way, just so you know, American is my companies primary choice of airlines. Cost comes secondary.

Latest posts