WN Lowers Fares in Key UA Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
USAToday/Today In The Sky
Ding! SWA offers another low fare in a key United market
I told you on Thursday about a Ding! fare that caught my attention -- $69 round-trip between Washington Dulles and Chicago Midway. While I noted Southwest often tries to create a buzz on its new routes by offering such fares, I also wondered about the possibility that the carrier might be trying to get D.C. travelers to think about flying Southwest –- and not United -– for flights between Dulles and Chicago. United's East Coast hub is located at Washington Dulles, and many industry observers predict that Southwest's entrance to that airport will have a negative effect on United's pricing power there. And, of course, O’Hare is United’s largest hub –- making a $69 round-trip fare quite a bargain for flight between the two United hub cities.

Now, on the heels of last week's $69 fare on United's key Chicago-Washington route, Southwest has rolled out another low Ding! fare between United hub cities. This fare -- $116 round-trip -- is good for flights between Dulles and Denver, another big United base.
Posted at 06:09 PM/ET, Oct 09

USAToday/Today In The Sky
Ding! SWA offers another low fare in a key United market
I told you on Thursday about a Ding! fare that caught my attention -- $69 round-trip between Washington Dulles and Chicago Midway. While I noted Southwest often tries to create a buzz on its new routes by offering such fares, I also wondered about the possibility that the carrier might be trying to get D.C. travelers to think about flying Southwest –- and not United -– for flights between Dulles and Chicago. United's East Coast hub is located at Washington Dulles, and many industry observers predict that Southwest's entrance to that airport will have a negative effect on United's pricing power there. And, of course, O’Hare is United’s largest hub –- making a $69 round-trip fare quite a bargain for flight between the two United hub cities.

Now, on the heels of last week's $69 fare on United's key Chicago-Washington route, Southwest has rolled out another low Ding! fare between United hub cities. This fare -- $116 round-trip -- is good for flights between Dulles and Denver, another big United base.
Posted at 06:09 PM/ET, Oct 09
Ding!
Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!

Some WN posters attitude regarding other carriers are pathetic.

Btw "anyways" is as ungrammatical in written English as "anyhows."
pathetic or truly justified? why can't people handle the truth..truth hurts.. and thanks for the grammar lesson!

We are more than happy to EAT a $69 dollar fare from IAD to ORD, but wait you aren't flying to ORD you are flying to MDW. ORD is a major hub for UAL, so is IAD. Most of the traffic is connection traffic which generally garner higher fares. Therefore a very few of those people are just going back and forth to Chitown. In fact the real business people are riding our Hourly service from DCA to ORD. So throw those $69 dollar fares out there. There is a pretty large selection of lower income and unwashed folks in the NOVA area that would be more than happy to ride on Street Walker Airlines and enjoy the obviously "intoxicating" experience of riding SWA. At least that is what it appears on your tv show.

Oh and by the way do you charge extra if they have to walk in from the runway to the terminal after one of your patented approach and landings?

Just read a hilarious dig at SWA on our pilot board in ORD. It was a letter from SWPA to SWA about the SWPA support of the repeal of age 60. It said something to the effect that SWA pilots skills don't end at age 60, to wit someone had written on the memo, "yeah, they don't stop at the end of the runway either!". Great stuff guys. Keep it coming.

Folks, let's stay on the subject of fares. If the sniping continues, this thread will be closed and a couple of you will spend some time off line.

Thank you.

Southwest has given America the freedom to fly. What was once a privilage, can now be experienced by all. Why should United even care what fares we offer? sounds like moderate income people aren't good enough for them anyway. the market is large enough and if a bankrupt airline can compete, then so be it. Any clue the rankings of inflight magazines and the demographis they target? look it up. you will be surprised. Maybe with 69 dollar fares with easy and quick connections through MDW people will make the switch to save money. i foresee rapid growth much like PHL. Bookings are high and solid - the response from the american people have been beyond expectations. Why did TED pull out of MDW? Just priced a r/t from IAD to LAX on NOV 1 return Nov 8th:
United with connections: 429.00 connection in MCO
Southwest with connections: 250.70 one change of plane in MDW no change of plane coming back. difference of 178.30!!!! you could buy another ticket practically! southwest should just offer a 2 for one sale...and raise the price to match united...Southwest would still make money! why would i pay 178.00 more!?!??!?!?!?!?!

also forgot: you want to CX a non-refundable ticket SWA will hold your $ for a future purchase no fees.
United: Penalty: NONREF/CHANGE100PLUSFAREDIF/ / CXL BY FLT DATE OR NOVALUE

no -brainer....

Why did TED pull out of MDW?

Why did ted pull out of mdw? Because the revenue those airplanes could generate in the Carib. and various other detinations was better. The yields at MDW are low due to that being the pit of LCC flyers.

Just priced a r/t from IAD to LAX on NOV 1 return Nov 8th:
United with connections: 429.00 connection in MCO
Southwest with connections: 250.70 one change of plane in MDW no change of plane coming back.

Well detective you might try www.sidestep.com in the future. How about the UAL nonstop fare from BWI to LAX on the same dates as 284.00 or the nonstop out of IAD to LAX on an airplane with a sleeper seat, video and meal service for $400. Again that is NONSTOP. No MDW or MCO connection. Also, those flights have already sold out the cheap seats. Must be the SWA effect at IAD?

I found a IAD to LHR fare for $182. What are you guys charging for your London flights?

no -brainer....
On that I agree. The SWA crowd is definitely a NO BRAINER

I found a IAD to LHR fare for $182. What are you guys charging for your London flights?
With fares like that, you'll be asked for another pay cut soon, or you might be lucky enough for a second trip to bankruptcy court.

Remember a while back how you said Southwest was "lowering the bar" for every other airline? When a bankrupt carrier emerges and starts offering $182 transatlantic flights - the it looks like THAT airline takes the prize for "lowering the bar" for everyone else.

"The SWA crowd is definitely a NO BRAINER"

Largest domestic carrier? guess your calling america mindless..

your side-step rate r/t or one way? supply info on the fare from IAD-LAX Nov 1-8th lets compare apples to apples market to market date to date...according to Side-Step United is the highest price for those exact city pairs and dates! great detective work! sleeper beds in coach?
BWi-LAX non-stop is 228.60 almost any day inclusive of tax..109.00 each way. so still cheaper than united in that market too

Largest domestic carrier? guess your calling america mindless..

I saw you program and yes I think SWA is brainless. Also, with the number of people that are not outraged at this administration then again I say yes, Americans are brainless

With fares like that, you'll be asked for another pay cut soon, or you might be lucky enough for a second trip to bankruptcy court.

Remember a while back how you said Southwest was "lowering the bar" for every other airline? When a bankrupt carrier emerges and starts offering $182 transatlantic flights - the it looks like THAT airline takes the prize for "lowering the bar" for everyone else.

Well we are supporting those low intl fares by overcharging on the domestic market (tic) KC you well know that sale fares are everywhere, just like the SWA $69 dollar fares to MDW from IAD. Not all seats are that price.

The issue here is that UAL and SWA and pretty much any airline that fly's outside the borders of the US are different birds of different feathers. You won't see SWA in EZE, BRU, KWI, NRT or anywhere else that business people fly.

As for your concern about my paycut, I do appreciate your attention. However, I have a gig lined up to be a performance calculator consultant for SWA. It is very simple and even my simple math skills will be able to highlight that if an airplane you have x amount of runway available, that anything greater than x in required length will end in an "issue".

KC did you design the Hyatt in downtown KC by chance?

that comment about the Hyatt is BEYOND tasteless. It is down right nasty and unacceptable. For those reading that don't understand...i believe that magsau is referring to the collapse of the structure causing the untimly deaths of over 115 people in 1981. NOTHING at all to do with FARES. RICHARD please review. went to far i think. That comment was not provoked, nor solicited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back