How US Airways/America West merger got off the ground

nostradamus

Veteran
Dec 7, 2004
Aritcle about history of financing the merger click below.

It was up to Luth, the US Airways adviser

article of CLT mec

Liquidation

We want to address the shrill rhetoric coming from the West about liquidation.

Let’s put a stake in the heart of this monster.

Had you attended the Nicolau hearings you would have noticed that the “one note song†sung by the West was thaUSAirways would have liquidated without the merger. The East pilots argue that America West was also in financial straits and would have filed bankruptcy in short order without the merger.

The East merger committee put lots of evidence into the record about a multitude of issues and we did not bang the “America West was going bankrupt†drum. Financial differences between merging companies is not part of the ALPA merger policy.

Frankly, we are all sick of hearing this “liquidation†song. For us to be arguing who was in greater danger is stupid and silly. Neither USAirways nor America West had the resources to consummate any merger. Without the investment of outside resources there would be no merger. USAirways and America West were in bad shape following 9/11 and the prospects for both (independently) were dismal.

So, let’s look at an objective perspective that was agreed upon by both merger committees.

Since the West merger committee insisted on singing the “liquidation song†throughout the arbitration, the East committee felt obliged to counter that assertion during the rebuttal phase of the hearings. We attended this part of the hearing and this is what was presented to the arbitrator.

The East merger committee hired Simat Helliesen & Eichner, Inc. (SH&E) (http://www.sh-e.com/index.htm) to analyze the financial condition of both America West and USAirways at the time of the merger.[1] Timothy Phelan testified on behalf of SH&E. (Mr. Phelan’s resume is at the end of this document)

SH&E created over 100 pages of testimony which was entered into the record. The West merger counsel challenged and accepted the qualifications of Mr. Phelan to testify. Sixteen pages of charts were excerpted from the written testimony of SH&E.

The upshot of Mr. Phelan’s testimony was that, at the time of the merger, USAirways had 90 days of cash on hand. The 90 days are important because they relate to covenants that USAirways had from its investors (like the ATSB) to maintain that amount of cash to remain in business.

Mr. Phelan also testified that America West had 30 (THIRTY) days of cash on hand at merger time.

Mr. Phelan also testified that any carrier with less than 90 (ninety) days of cash on hand is a sure candidate for LIQUIDATION. Mr. Phelan testified that he had never seen a carrier with less than 90 (ninety) days of cash which was not bankrupt.

When asked about his characterization of the merger between USAirways and America West, Mr. Phelan said that USAirways was a “white knight†who rode into town to save the dying America West.

The response from the West merger counsel was to ask for a three hour recess.

In general, the counsel from the West merger committee did not challenge our committee’s data or submission to the arbitrator other than to sing the “liquidation song.†They have sung it long enough that some people believe it to be true. Look at the facts. The facts speak louder than any song.

In the end, who cares? If this union is going to mete out the jobs in an arbitration based on the financial performance of the partners, perhaps we need to question the value of unionism. Neither the West nor the East chose their respective management and therefore should not be held to account for management behavior.

Suffice it to say that neither the West nor the East was any financial powerhouse at merger time and that without this merger each would be in trouble. For the pot to be calling the kettle black at this stage is counterproductive. We have important work to do.

Talks between airlines began in 2003, but didn't get serious until this year
Sunday, May 22, 2005

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The on-and-off, 18-month courtship between US Airways and America West Airlines finally clicked into place May 12 in Washington, D.C., high above the floor of the MCI Center, where executives from both airlines had gathered in US Airways' skybox to watch a Washington Wizards playoff game.

Just minutes before tip-off, with the din of exploding fireworks filling the arena, US Airways adviser John Luth received an e-mail on his BlackBerry from Air Canada Chief Executive Officer Robert Milton. It confirmed that Air Canada's board had approved an investment in the combined airline -- the final piece of a $1.5 billion financing package needed to make the deal work.

Luth waved his BlackBerry, smiled and gave everyone the news. He congratulated Doug Parker and Bruce Lakefield, the chief executive officers of America West and US Airways, and broad smiles broke out throughout the box.

The merger was on.

Announced a week later at the Tempe, Ariz., headquarters of America West, the agreement between the nation's seventh-and eight-largest airlines paired a twice-bankrupt, East Coast legacy carrier with a younger, smaller, low-cost airline that does much of its flying on the West Coast.

If they can win a slew of antitrust, shareholder and bankruptcy court approvals, US Airways and America West together would surpass discount king Southwest Airlines in size, becoming the No. 6 carrier in the nation. Together, they also could usher in an era of consolidation in the troubled airline industry, which has lost more than $30 billion since 2001.

But there were several twists along the way, according to people familiar with the events. America West was not the only carrier to express interest in US Airways, nor was America West the only partner US Airways pursued.

The search for a deal began in the fall of 2003, when David Siegel was still US Airways' chief executive officer. Siegel had led US Airways through its first bankruptcy and wrested more than $1 billion in concessions from the company's labor unions. But even as the carrier completed a painful round of cost cuts and emerged from bankruptcy, Siegel knew US Airways was still too small and too inefficient to compete against discounters such as Southwest, which had already announced plans to start service in Philadelphia, a US Airways' hub.

Siegel was convinced that for US Airways to avoid the fate of failed carriers such as Eastern Airlines and Pan Am, both of which liquidated in the 1980s, he would have to bring US Airways' costs down further and position the airline for consolidation with another carrier. He explored several options.

Acquire United Airlines, the nation's No. 2 carrier. That option was code-named "Project Minnow," with US Airways as the small fish gobbling the bigger one.

Combine with British entrepreneur Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic, which was interested in US Airways' Washington-Boston-New York shuttle, along with slots and gates in the Northeast.

Split the airline in two and merge the Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C., hub-and-spoke network with one carrier and its slots and gates in Washington, Boston and New York with another.

But US Airways ultimately rejected those options. United did not have any interest in a deal and was too distracted by its own struggles in bankruptcy. Virgin Atlantic wanted lots of US Airways assets -- gates, planes, airport equipment -- to help launch a new U.S. airline, but all it would offer in retrun was the Virgin brand name. US Airways also turned down several inquiries from other carriers -- including Southwest, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Airways -- about acquiring the company's assets but not its employees.

In the end, only America West wanted both.

Siegel made the initial connection. He knew Parker and Executive Vice President Scott Kirby at America West. Their first face-to-face meeting was in October 2003, over dinner in a Washington, D.C., restaurant. They were joined by then-US Airways Chief Financial Officer Neal Cohen.

But the talks ended several months later. At the request of US Airways' board, Siegel departed from the company in April 2004. According to Parker, the first round of discussions failed because US Airways' costs were still too high. Siegel had started a campaign to lower union costs further, but labor leaders refused to deal with him, contributing to his ouster.

Retired Lehman Bros. executive Bruce Lakefield, a friend of US Airways chairman David Bronner, replaced Siegel and sought to save US Airways. He asked unions to help with another round of concessions. When that failed, Lakefield took the company into bankruptcy again and squeezed another $1 billion in concessions from the unions, using the power of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to hammer home new contracts modeled after America West's labor agreements.

In January, with fuel prices at a record high and doubts aired about US Airways' survival after its Christmas baggage meltdown in Philadelphia, Lakefield picked up the phone and called Parker, suggesting that "maybe we should begin those talks again," according to Parker.

But America West did not have enough cash to lift US Airways out of bankruptcy. It was up to Luth, the US Airways adviser, to find enough investment money to piece the deal together and give the combined company a fighting chance to thrive in the battered airline industry.

Luth and US Airways had serious discussions with more than a dozen investors. They all requested shared participation in a merged airline -- no one wanted to take on all the risk. The Retirement Systems of Alabama, which rescued US Airways from its first bankruptcy in 2003 with a $240 million investment, stands to lose it all if US Airways emerges from bankruptcy and issues new stock.

Luth went after the companies that had something to gain from an investment in US Airways and America West. Aircraft maker Airbus agreed to provide $250 million in exchange for US Airways' pledge to buy dozens of A320 jets in the future. Regional commuter carrier Air Wisconsin Airlines made a $125 million investment in exchange for a jet services partnership. The Appleton, Wis.-based airline will fly for the merged carrier on a contract basis.

Credit card companies may provide $300 million in order to reach new customers. And once-bankrupt Air Canada offered $75 million, good for a 7 percent stake in the new company, in exchange for the rights to bid on the maintenance contract for the new carrier's fleet of 361 jets.

Air Canada was the last in line.

Once its approval came last Thursday, employees at both airlines scrambled to obtain approval from their boards of directors. US Airways' directors signed off Wednesday, over the telephone. America West's board approved it Thursday, in Tempe.

Labor leaders were briefed, and a press release was sent out. Parker and Lakefield spent much of Thursday night explaining the deal to reporters before Lakefield took a red-eye flight back to Washington. Parker, who has been tapped to lead the merged airline, met with employees and went home. Before going to bed, he explained the deal in one final live shot with local TV, from his house.
---------------------------------------------------------
(Dan Fitzpatrick can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1752.
----------------------------------------------------------- Correction/Clarification: (Published 5/23/05) Air Canada, as part of an investment in the proposed US Airways-America West Airlines merger, has the right to bid only on the maintenance work that can be outsourced under existing labor contracts. It does not have the right to do the maintenance work on all 361 jets belonging to the combined airline, as described incorrectly in a story Sunday. )

I love how this comes up here on this forum again and again.

I swear Tempe must have plants around to try and make this an issue. If the employees are angry at each other, then they won't be paying attention what the management is doing. If I were you folks I'd be more worried about where you will be in a year, than where you were 3 years ago.

I love how this comes up here on this forum again and again.

I swear Tempe must have plants around to try and make this an issue. If the employees are angry at each other, then they won't be paying attention what the management is doing. If I were you folks I'd be more worried about where you will be in a year, than where you were 3 years ago.

Per one of his posts, nostradamus admitted to being an east F/O.

So he's one of your pilots.

In fact here is his admission:

QUOTE(nostradamus @ Jul 5 2007, 03:24 AM)

I am a East f/o. I had to work hard to arrive at my humble station in life. I am a lot like you. I have watched my significant other soothe sick children and comfort elderly relatives that were dying. Your mistake is you look at me as less than human.

Treat me like you expect to be treated, anything else is disrespect towards me that will only rejuvenate my energy to destroy your selfish cause.

Per one of his posts, nostradamus admitted to being an east F/O.

So he's one of your pilots.

In fact here is his admission:

QUOTE(nostradamus @ Jul 5 2007, 03:24 AM)

I am a East f/o. I had to work hard to arrive at my humble station in life. I am a lot like you. I have watched my significant other soothe sick children and comfort elderly relatives that were dying. Your mistake is you look at me as less than human.

Treat me like you expect to be treated, anything else is disrespect towards me that will only rejuvenate my energy to destroy your selfish cause.

junbug quote 7/04/07

"Looks like he's a lurker who like to stir things up a bit. I don't think he's even an east pilot."

Am I a lurker or a worker?

You REALLY think so?

I think they're trying to pull there head out of their arse and figure out how to run a real airline of the size and scope of US Airways and it ain't working for them right now.

I mean who would buy, merge with all of the outstanding issues??
United

After the merger lop off the bottom 1500 and the furloghed, mostly Usairway pilots,(like AMR TWA combination) to make it more palatable for the United employees.

Divest assets to Virgin America and other Airlines with cash.

Throw in Gordon Bethune to lead.

Parker, the new Stephen Wolf of the industry and other cronies walk off with some serious cash.

Parker always wanted to merge with someone else and pocket the money by now. He never expected to run the airline so he was not cocerned then, as he is not now, about problems these mergers cause.

The Delta merger failed but his ambition has not.

Talks between airlines began in 2003, but didn't get serious until this year
Sunday, May 22, 2005

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The on-and-off, 18-month courtship between US Airways and America West Airlines finally clicked into place May 12 in Washington, D.C., high above the floor of the MCI Center, where executives from both airlines had gathered in US Airways' skybox to watch a Washington Wizards playoff game.

Just minutes before tip-off, with the din of exploding fireworks filling the arena, US Airways adviser John Luth received an e-mail on his BlackBerry from Air Canada Chief Executive Officer Robert Milton. It confirmed that Air Canada's board had approved an investment in the combined airline -- the final piece of a $1.5 billion financing package needed to make the deal work.

Luth waved his BlackBerry, smiled and gave everyone the news. He congratulated Doug Parker and Bruce Lakefield, the chief executive officers of America West and US Airways, and broad smiles broke out throughout the box.

The merger was on.

Announced a week later at the Tempe, Ariz., headquarters of America West, the agreement between the nation's seventh-and eight-largest airlines paired a twice-bankrupt, East Coast legacy carrier with a younger, smaller, low-cost airline that does much of its flying on the West Coast.

If they can win a slew of antitrust, shareholder and bankruptcy court approvals, US Airways and America West together would surpass discount king Southwest Airlines in size, becoming the No. 6 carrier in the nation. Together, they also could usher in an era of consolidation in the troubled airline industry, which has lost more than $30 billion since 2001.

But there were several twists along the way, according to people familiar with the events. America West was not the only carrier to express interest in US Airways, nor was America West the only partner US Airways pursued.

The search for a deal began in the fall of 2003, when David Siegel was still US Airways' chief executive officer. Siegel had led US Airways through its first bankruptcy and wrested more than $1 billion in concessions from the company's labor unions. But even as the carrier completed a painful round of cost cuts and emerged from bankruptcy, Siegel knew US Airways was still too small and too inefficient to compete against discounters such as Southwest, which had already announced plans to start service in Philadelphia, a US Airways' hub.

Siegel was convinced that for US Airways to avoid the fate of failed carriers such as Eastern Airlines and Pan Am, both of which liquidated in the 1980s, he would have to bring US Airways' costs down further and position the airline for consolidation with another carrier. He explored several options.

Acquire United Airlines, the nation's No. 2 carrier. That option was code-named "Project Minnow," with US Airways as the small fish gobbling the bigger one.

Combine with British entrepreneur Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic, which was interested in US Airways' Washington-Boston-New York shuttle, along with slots and gates in the Northeast.

Split the airline in two and merge the Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C., hub-and-spoke network with one carrier and its slots and gates in Washington, Boston and New York with another.

But US Airways ultimately rejected those options. United did not have any interest in a deal and was too distracted by its own struggles in bankruptcy. Virgin Atlantic wanted lots of US Airways assets -- gates, planes, airport equipment -- to help launch a new U.S. airline, but all it would offer in retrun was the Virgin brand name. US Airways also turned down several inquiries from other carriers -- including Southwest, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Airways -- about acquiring the company's assets but not its employees.

In the end, only America West wanted both.

Siegel made the initial connection. He knew Parker and Executive Vice President Scott Kirby at America West. Their first face-to-face meeting was in October 2003, over dinner in a Washington, D.C., restaurant. They were joined by then-US Airways Chief Financial Officer Neal Cohen.

But the talks ended several months later. At the request of US Airways' board, Siegel departed from the company in April 2004. According to Parker, the first round of discussions failed because US Airways' costs were still too high. Siegel had started a campaign to lower union costs further, but labor leaders refused to deal with him, contributing to his ouster.

Retired Lehman Bros. executive Bruce Lakefield, a friend of US Airways chairman David Bronner, replaced Siegel and sought to save US Airways. He asked unions to help with another round of concessions. When that failed, Lakefield took the company into bankruptcy again and squeezed another $1 billion in concessions from the unions, using the power of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to hammer home new contracts modeled after America West's labor agreements.

In January, with fuel prices at a record high and doubts aired about US Airways' survival after its Christmas baggage meltdown in Philadelphia, Lakefield picked up the phone and called Parker, suggesting that "maybe we should begin those talks again," according to Parker.

But America West did not have enough cash to lift US Airways out of bankruptcy. It was up to Luth, the US Airways adviser, to find enough investment money to piece the deal together and give the combined company a fighting chance to thrive in the battered airline industry.

Luth and US Airways had serious discussions with more than a dozen investors. They all requested shared participation in a merged airline -- no one wanted to take on all the risk. The Retirement Systems of Alabama, which rescued US Airways from its first bankruptcy in 2003 with a $240 million investment, stands to lose it all if US Airways emerges from bankruptcy and issues new stock.

Luth went after the companies that had something to gain from an investment in US Airways and America West. Aircraft maker Airbus agreed to provide $250 million in exchange for US Airways' pledge to buy dozens of A320 jets in the future. Regional commuter carrier Air Wisconsin Airlines made a $125 million investment in exchange for a jet services partnership. The Appleton, Wis.-based airline will fly for the merged carrier on a contract basis.

Credit card companies may provide $300 million in order to reach new customers. And once-bankrupt Air Canada offered $75 million, good for a 7 percent stake in the new company, in exchange for the rights to bid on the maintenance contract for the new carrier's fleet of 361 jets.

Air Canada was the last in line.

Once its approval came last Thursday, employees at both airlines scrambled to obtain approval from their boards of directors. US Airways' directors signed off Wednesday, over the telephone. America West's board approved it Thursday, in Tempe.

Labor leaders were briefed, and a press release was sent out. Parker and Lakefield spent much of Thursday night explaining the deal to reporters before Lakefield took a red-eye flight back to Washington. Parker, who has been tapped to lead the merged airline, met with employees and went home. Before going to bed, he explained the deal in one final live shot with local TV, from his house.
---------------------------------------------------------
(Dan Fitzpatrick can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1752.
----------------------------------------------------------- Correction/Clarification: (Published 5/23/05) Air Canada, as part of an investment in the proposed US Airways-America West Airlines merger, has the right to bid only on the maintenance work that can be outsourced under existing labor contracts. It does not have the right to do the maintenance work on all 361 jets belonging to the combined airline, as described incorrectly in a story Sunday. )

I glad you posted this article back on the board. I think a lot of employees need to read it again. Realize, there was a lot of time and investment made in making this airline survive. I just don't see a bright future unless they start putting the employees first, and actually start lisenting to there FF's. We are the best resource to change this company for the better. If I don't have the tools or the respect, why should I give a crap! :unsure:

Latest posts