I Don't Know About You........

gilbertguy

Senior
Aug 29, 2002
DCA-SFO.....DCA-LAS....400 new ERJ''s......new cities.....leaner, meaner US....Dave is good.....unions bad.....give alittle more.....get alot less....US/UA codeshares....it must be just me.....but are there others getting tired of being ''pumped up'' only to have the bottom drop.....lower each time.....

Gilbertguy said: DCA-SFO.....DCA-LAS....400 new ERJ's......new cities.....leaner, meaner US....Dave is good.....unions bad.....give alittle more.....get alot less....US/UA codeshares....it must be just me.....but are there others getting tired of being 'pumped up' only to have the bottom drop.....lower each time..... [BR][BR]Chip answers: Gilbert, all of these points are for medium to long term revenues. Yesterday CO chief financial officer Jeff Misner told analysts it took four years to get the total financial benefit of the NW-CO alliance. The US three-point long-term business plan is excellent, but it's the short-term that is the problem. [BR][BR]As I said before, Siegel or Bronner are not responsible for the continued terrorist attacks, the double dip recession, oil rising to over $30 per barrel, air fares at 20 year lows, rising security costs, and the pending war with Iraq.[BR][BR]Chip asks: I know you are frustrated, everybody is, but there are very few short-term options for this industry in crisis. Pay cuts provide a 100 percent change to the bottom line and revenue increases do not, long or short-term. Therefore, I ask you again, do you think these issues have anything to do with the incredible airline loses reported this week? What are your options or business plan for US to continue to operate versus transition from Chapter 11 reorganization to Chapter 7 liquidation in short order?[BR][BR]Chip [BR][BR]

Chip answers: Gilbert, all of these points are for medium to long term revenues. Yesterday CO chief financial officer Jeff Misner told analysts it took four years to get the total financial benefit of the NW-CO alliance. The US three-point long-term business plan is excellent, but it's the shrot-term that is the problem.

Chip asks:[b/]I know you are frustrated, everybody is, but there are very few options for this industry in crisis. Therefore, I ask you again, do you think these issues have anything to do with the incredible airline loses reported this week? What are your options or business plan for US to continue to operate versus transition from Chapter 11 reorganization to Chapter 7 liquidation in short order?

Chip

Bethune also said the other carriers will 'high five'when US is gone....medium or long term means nothing if you're not around for the short term....I'm not frustrated.....I'm furloughed....this mess did not start on 9/11.....it started years before and was obvious to anyone who had any commom sense in business matters.....these remarks are not directed at you or anyone who wishs the best for US....but it all seems too little, too late......time is not running out.....it has run out.

[P][BR]gilbertguy -[BR][BR]I understand your frustration. However, Chip is right (OMG I agree with Chip) the industry is in turmoil. Heck, we can't turn on the evening news without a big bad airline story. I am one of those folks who truly believe what goes around comes around. If the traveler doesn't want to pay the real value of what an airline ticket is worth then don't expect airlines to be around in their current form. Point blank, the airline industry created a monster with the el cheapo fare, they are no reaping what they sow. I could go on and on about the Walmart generation; however, it's a moot point. People aren't going to change their ways until they are severely inconvienced. Point blank, a US Airways demise won't severely inconvenience travelers (exceptions are Pennsylvania and DCA) hey everyone will just pick off the slack - and that's what Gordo was getting at. A US Airways/United demise WOULD severely impact the traveler. So, here in lies the paradox of the US Airways employee active/furloughed - ask not what my airline can do for me - but what can I do for my airline. Sorry to be cliche', but let's be honest, it's going to take more money, more work, more damn everything from the employees to even have a shot a long-term career at US Airways. YOU GUYS are doing it better according to DOT stats, but not cheap enough. It's make or break time guys....get the Vaseline and Pepto (Super-sized) out if you want to retire at this airline. [/P]
[P][BR][BR][BR][BR][BR][BR][BR][BR][BR][BR] [/P]

Bethune like Mullin and Carty and the rest were licking their respective chops after 9/11 hoping to capitilize on the demize of US. Now they are upset to see that we are not going away! Gordon Bethune's comment is an act of frustration and no more! He's upset because our toys are looking better and better by the day than his toys!

Personalities aside, Mr.Bethune must be extremely concerned with the current financial situation of CO, since they no longer have the option of another BK. Three strikes, and you're out for Continental. Secondly, I think he is simply repeating Leo Mullin's previous statements saying that Delta would push USAirways completely out of business. And we see today where Delta stands, announcing more furloughs, cutbacks, and parking of airplanes.

This is truly a disastrous time for the airline industry, and I believe that it will get much worse before it gets better. Low cost airlines began the nosedives for the big five with their no frills cost structure and low wages infringing on the territories once held by the majors And since Sept.11 the financial basis of the world has been crippled by investor mistrust of the world economy and corporate greed. It will be a long slow process to recover, not months, more than likely years.

[P]San Francisco is a huge United place AND they fly the regionals to Reno!!! I'll be more than happy to book that from here!!![/P]
[P]Why not make a pit stop in Reno anyway???[/P]