In memoriam, US1493/OO5569 collision

Aug 20, 2002
Yet another example of the dizzying passage of time: Today marks 20 years since the US Air/SkyWest collision at LAX. For several reasons, this accident touched me closely. The skidmarks left by the 737-300 remained visible for years at LAX. Hard to believe that it has been two decades since that terrible day.

RIP to all those who perished.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19910201-0

It is HARD to Believe that 20years have passed since this horrible accident at LAX. Procedural Changes did take place AFTER this event........Primary/Secondary exit responsibilities and if memory serves Me, Exit Row Briefings became the norm (in some manner). I will never forget when the Networks interrupted regular programming with a SPECIAL REPORT and the horrible News of what was happening in Los Angeles.........and finding out later what happened. Disturbing to say the least.

It is HARD to Believe that 20years have passed since this horrible accident at LAX. Procedural Changes did take place AFTER this event........Primary/Secondary exit responsibilities and if memory serves Me, Exit Row Briefings became the norm (in some manner). I will never forget when the Networks interrupted regular programming with a SPECIAL REPORT and the horrible News of what was happening in Los Angeles.........and finding out later what happened. Disturbing to say the least.

Very sad day indeed. I was at work that evening (at LAX) and I remember looking out of the breakroom window west toward the runways. The sun had just set probably 20 mins earlier. And I noticed a lot of white smoke in the air and the grass between the runway and the parallel taxiway was on fire. I then heard someone say a plane had just crash-landed. A few of us rushed to the scene quickly but there was nothing we could do to help. LAX Fire was already there shooting water and foam and doing their best to rescue as many survivors as possible. One thing that never leaves me is the overall smell from that terrible accident.

Yet another example of the dizzying passage of time: Today marks 20 years since the US Air/SkyWest collision at LAX. For several reasons, this accident touched me closely. The skidmarks left by the 737-300 remained visible for years at LAX. Hard to believe that it has been two decades since that terrible day.

RIP to all those who perished.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19910201-0
It was a very sad day. In DCA we were also most affected by the deaths of our colleagues. We still have fellow crew-members on the line here who will never ever forget that day was well.

Back