Industry changing wages!!!!

AirwAr

Senior
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Wasn't that the union battle cry for the last few years? Well, guess what, now we're all going to get them.

I guess when you pay for (now worthless) shares for 5 1/2 years, and inflation is at generational lows for the entire period, and the company makes record profits for the entire period, one might expect that one might receive an inflation adjustment to 1993 wages and bring them up to the same level in 2000 dollars. THAT is what passed for an "industry leading contract." The fact is that the same company that told its employees "you will NOT have to pay for this company twice," decided that when their free ride to bonuses was over in 2000, they wanted to renege and stop the employees whosacrificed from getting ANY of the rewards of the largest economic boom in the history of the United States. The employees thought this was a tad unfair, but, within two years were asked to do the same thing again, and agreed. AGAIN!

Now, tell me again about those industry changing wages... If the mgmts that pay themselves millions in salary, then millions in bonuses and millions in stock options, can not figure out a way to make a profit (IF THEY EVER INTEND TO DO SO IN THE FIRST PLACE!) for the shareholders, is it the employees who get none of those "perks" but whose contracts are ALWAYS held up as the straw that broke the camel's back that are to blame?

I would suggest that "industry changing wages" are a red herring in the discussion of UAL's fate and fortune. However, the know nothing analysts that peddle their wares for anyone who will listen, follow the party line from the people who give them their information....the mgmt of the company!!

Round and round and round we go, where we stop, nobody knows!

mancityfan

I guess when you pay for (now worthless) shares for 5 1/2 years, and inflation is at generational lows for the entire period, and the company makes record profits for the entire period, one might expect that one might receive an inflation adjustment to 1993 wages and bring them up to the same level in 2000 dollars. THAT is what passed for an "industry leading contract." The fact is that the same company that told its employees "you will NOT have to pay for this company twice," decided that when their free ride to bonuses was over in 2000, they wanted to renege and stop the employees whosacrificed from getting ANY of the rewards of the largest economic boom in the history of the United States. The employees thought this was a tad unfair, but, within two years were asked to do the same thing again, and agreed. AGAIN!

Now, tell me again about those industry changing wages... If the mgmts that pay themselves millions in salary, then millions in bonuses and millions in stock options, can not figure out a way to make a profit (IF THEY EVER INTEND TO DO SO IN THE FIRST PLACE!) for the shareholders, is it the employees who get none of those "perks" but whose contracts are ALWAYS held up as the straw that broke the camel's back that are to blame?

I would suggest that "industry changing wages" are a red herring in the discussion of UAL's fate and fortune. However, the know nothing analysts that peddle their wares for anyone who will listen, follow the party line from the people who give them their information....the mgmt of the company!!

mancityfan

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/5/2002 1:24:08 AM mancityfan wrote:

mancityfan
----------------
[/blockquote]

So what are you saying?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/5/2002 1:24:08 AM mancityfan wrote:

mancityfan
----------------
[/blockquote]

So what are you saying?

I never wanted to be 'rich' anyhow, that's why I signed up here! No one owes me anything. I like my job! Weird huh?

I never wanted to be 'rich' anyhow, that's why I signed up here! No one owes me anything. I like my job! Weird huh?