Interesting Rumors

We also get proffit sharing which varies of course but it has averaged about 5-6k every year. Hopefully this will start getting into the 7-10k range with future growth.

I hope so too but I see some challenges for SWA in the future. If we fail to get our wages up to your wages your company will be at a disadvantage, they no longer have the fuel hedge advantage, they have deviated from the very successful and efficient "one fleet type" concept with the aquisition of AirTran and they are starting to go head to head in some of the more competative markets like LGA.

Growth, in this industry, often comes at the expense of profits, and wages.

Lineguy, you get $7.20 per license? In other words $14.40 for your A&P? Thats nearly the base starting wage that AA was offering in the TA that was rejected ($15.18). Do you think AA management is out of touch?

Yep that is the licence premium. I remember when I hired into NWA the licence premium was .70 cents per ticket. But the cargo guys UPS and FX always had a high licence premium compared to us. I know a few friends who work here that I worked with on the line at NW and they are in facilities maint and they love it and choose not to work a/c maint. I dont know with a licence premium this high even if I loved the job I would have to go back to a/c maint.

I hope so too but I see some challenges for SWA in the future. If we fail to get our wages up to your wages your company will be at a disadvantage, they no longer have the fuel hedge advantage, they have deviated from the very successful and efficient "one fleet type" concept with the aquisition of AirTran and they are starting to go head to head in some of the more competative markets like LGA.

Growth, in this industry, often comes at the expense of profits, and wages.

Yes, it has been a very ugly decade for the airlines. However I think the next 10 years will be pretty good. As far as SWA growing, they have done pretty darn good in the past. SWA will spend millions upon millions just to see if they will make a proffit in a new city. And now with cities actually paying SWA to come in and guaranting a proffit and off setting taxes and landing fees, we now have cities in compatition bidding wars to get SWA to come in. I will also say that SWA is preparing now for growth in 2014. The AirTran purchase was a shocker, however, it would have taken us 10 to 15 years to gain the same growth we will attain in a mere purchase. We are now optioning out the rest of our 700's for the larger 800's. The 800's will be used for not only Hawaii, but once the Wright Amendment goes away we will be using them for long hauls from Love Field. Dallas will be treated as a brand new city and we will be adding numerous one way non-stop travel to everywhere. Not to mention Mexico and Canada. There is some other stuff in the works, but not sure if they will turn out or not, but, here's a hint. AirTran will more than likely NOT be the only purchase SWA makes. I believe this is only the beginning of huge growth by SWA. And once again we are still hearing of some hiring new mechanics off the street next year some time in the 1st or 2nd quarters...

Yes, it has been a very ugly decade for the airlines. However I think the next 10 years will be pretty good. As far as SWA growing, they have done pretty darn good in the past. SWA will spend millions upon millions just to see if they will make a proffit in a new city. And now with cities actually paying SWA to come in and guaranting a proffit and off setting taxes and landing fees, we now have cities in compatition bidding wars to get SWA to come in. I will also say that SWA is preparing now for growth in 2014. The AirTran purchase was a shocker, however, it would have taken us 10 to 15 years to gain the same growth we will attain in a mere purchase. We are now optioning out the rest of our 700's for the larger 800's. The 800's will be used for not only Hawaii, but once the Wright Amendment goes away we will be using them for long hauls from Love Field. Dallas will be treated as a brand new city and we will be adding numerous one way non-stop travel to everywhere. Not to mention Mexico and Canada. There is some other stuff in the works, but not sure if they will turn out or not, but, here's a hint. AirTran will more than likely NOT be the only purchase SWA makes. I believe this is only the beginning of huge growth by SWA. And once again we are still hearing of some hiring new mechanics off the street next year some time in the 1st or 2nd quarters...

Hopefully they won't stray too far from those core principles that make it a great place to work. Even DL was known as a family airline that never laid off then after the PanAm deal they were losing money and came up with the leadership 7.5 deal then heads started rolling. So never say never but hopefully for you at SWA they will continue to make good decisions and treat their employees right like they have been doing.

I ran your original "rumour" psot by a friend of mine that's in management in WN/DAL, here's his response:

"What’s missing from the equation is the fact that we are inheriting nearly 400 Air Tran mech’s and inspectors plus facilities in ATL and MCO that are already staffed. I work with the People Department directly to schedule New Hire training. We have two mech’s the Janaury New Hire class to fill slots in LAS and MDW. I’ll let you know if I get intel from the Dept."

I read all of the posts exchanged by you(swamt)and "lineguy"...and I can attest to the hassling that probies get at WN from 2-3 people I've had conversations with that used to wk there. Now, it may be true, that if the guy is weak on the 737, the "hazing" is tougher(which would be my case, cause I haven't touched a 73 since 1992), but I still maintain it's BS to put a guy through that-provided the man is trying and is wanting to learn the aircraft(again in my case). HOU was reported to be one of the tougher stations to make probation. Which is kind of funny, cause I wkd with some of those guys at CAL/HOU-IAH back when I got started in this business. For them to screw with anybody-is laughable. But WN is very, very tough to get in from what I'm hearing from everybody I know. They are passing on a lot of good mechs and maybe need to reconsider what they're putting people through in the interview/selection process.
Also, I'm 53 now...I'm having serious concerns about my ability to keep up the pace with the younger bucks-esp at WN. I, like lineguy, feel like I've paid my dues in this industry after 22 yrs. And I/we don't need some jerk(s)giving me a hard time/giving me ##it while I'm trying to learn the 73 again and keep a fast pace- watching some WN mechs snicker at my in competence. Who needs that man??....
Like previously mentioned...it must be nice to focus on one aircraft type....can't imagine! You can't help but get sharp on the plane...

Bob, it's true about FX lic prem being as advertised. They were talking about this when I was still there. The payscales at WN, FX, UP put all to shame. Back when I was at NWA(92-98)the only difference between plant maint and a/p was the paltry lic prem-what? 1.50 for BOTH! Now I ask you...that sound like a union that's looking out for it's a/ps? The very notion of a comml aviation mech starting at ANTHING under 24-26 bucks/hr is absolutely ridiculous. The carriers want experience, make there asses PAY for it!
I've got an interview with Boeing San Antonio coming up. I'm probably not going to take the job(as desperate as I am to get back down south-closer to home/wife)because they're telling me the starting pay range is 21-24.50/hr for QA Insp position. Why should I have go BACKWARD in pay? Now we're talking about Boeing Defense here(every work location in Boeing is like a different company). Not some direct hire for SAT Aerosp. Boeing Def probably makes more money than Boe Comml Airplanes combined-and all of the top 3 paying carriers combined. They could pay the San Antonio guys 50/hr and never miss it. But they're not, cause it's non-union(voted IAM out-caught pulling shadey BS-you know the deal...typical IAM...), but there's too many good ol boys willing to take the wk for the pay.

I'm counting on you AA guys to not forget the newhires. :p

Lineguy, you get $7.20 per license? In other words $14.40 for your A&P? Thats nearly the base starting wage that AA was offering in the TA that was rejected ($15.18). Do you think AA management is out of touch?

Sent you a PM Bob.

There is some other stuff in the works, but not sure if they will turn out or not, but, here's a hint. AirTran will more than likely NOT be the only purchase SWA makes. I believe this is only the beginning of huge growth by SWA. And once again we are still hearing of some hiring new mechanics off the street next year some time in the 1st or 2nd quarters...
Hopefully AA will be your next purchase, and you know what, I'll take being stapled!

Hopefully AA will be your next purchase, and you know what, I'll take being stapled!

Honestly don't think that would happen but never say never. Here are some carriers that are a buzz. Alaska, Horizon, Republic, West Jet, Jet Blue and even heard USAir at one time. I also think this will be done by the end of 2015 as long as nothing else comes along to put the airline industry back where it was in early 2000's.
Funny you say that above. That's what alot of the mechs at AT are saying. Personally, I don't think they will get stapled. Although the Morris Air boys did, but they were non union-therefore no negotiations. SWA is setting up now for something, I think, by 2014 when the W/A goes away. They are even changing some maint. around in Dallas to accomadate all the aircraft that will be overnighters. We are hearing numbers like 30-40 overnighters, from 15-20 overnighters presently.

Merry Cristmas to all!!

Here are some more updates. DFW guys; Company cannot create 10 positions here at Love Field to help you guys out. Problem is we have to be one company in order to add you guys to our senority list, and this will not occur untill after DFW is shut down. What this means is, unfortuantly, the DFW boys will have to bump to where ever their senority will take them into AirTrans system first. However, the company did say they are trying to do whatever they can to ease the disruption.

As far as the company says "C" check will be added in Dallas. Hiring will have to happen for this, up to 30-40 mechanics
Also hearing that we will still have to add the 4th line of heavy structures.
Hearing ATL will be doing 717 "C" checks
Some mechs on the floor are saying we may have to hire hundreds of mechs after the merger is complete to comply with contract as far as A/C to mech ratios are concerned.
another rumer that snuck in there was Orlando might be picked to do some of the 737 "C" checks as well

I know these are all rumers, but would be nice to see come true. Haven't seen any hiring around here in 10 years. Would be nice to see some growth amoung the mech ranks for a change, instead of the co. just feeding off of the apprentice program.

Are any of you AirTran mechs hearing anything about the "C" checks in Atlanta or Orlando?? Anything at all on your end??

Honestly don't think that would happen but never say never. Here are some carriers that are a buzz. Alaska, Horizon, Republic, West Jet, Jet Blue and even heard USAir at one time. I also think this will be done by the end of 2015 as long as nothing else comes along to put the airline industry back where it was in early 2000's.
Funny you say that above. That's what alot of the mechs at AT are saying. Personally, I don't think they will get stapled. Although the Morris Air boys did, but they were non union-therefore no negotiations. SWA is setting up now for something, I think, by 2014 when the W/A goes away. They are even changing some maint. around in Dallas to accomadate all the aircraft that will be overnighters. We are hearing numbers like 30-40 overnighters, from 15-20 overnighters presently.

Merry Cristmas to all!!
Morris people were back dated to 01-01-94 Seniority tied in for both for Maintenance. Even though the Merger date wasn't until October 1994.

Worked out for Maintenance if you were Morris say you got hired in April 1994 your seniority and company time was back dated to 01JAN94 for Southwest/Teamsters seniority....... not bad for Non-union. If you were on the ramp it was not as good..... your Ramp (ROPA back then) seniority date was your 1st day of work at the merged company but your company seniority date was 01-01-94.

Latest posts