A+P mechanics need your help please

Rayreed

Mar 25, 2006
Any Southwest A+P mechanics clue me in on what the pre hire A+P testing session is about?

I worked 10 years in heavy maintenance B,C checks. I've been self employed, away from the industry for over a decade now. Aircraft has always been in my blood. I want to re-enter and work for Southwest knowing what a great company LUV is.

Any guidance on the focus of the pre hire A+P testing session is greatly appreciated. I would like to study and prepare for it as much as possible.

Thanks for all your help,
Ray

Any Southwest A+P mechanics clue me in on what the pre hire A+P testing session is about?

I worked 10 years in heavy maintenance B,C checks. I've been self employed, away from the industry for over a decade now. Aircraft has always been in my blood. I want to re-enter and work for Southwest knowing what a great company LUV is.

Any guidance on the focus of the pre hire A+P testing session is greatly appreciated. I would like to study and prepare for it as much as possible.

Thanks for all your help,
Ray

Its just basic aircraft mx questions with some troubleshooting thrown in from what I understand. The guys who administer the test wont tell anyone whats on it. So your best bet is to find someone who took it and ask them. And I think its more than one set of questions. So be careful.

Seems we were getting a lot of guys who claimed to be real guru's when it came to mx but turned out to be well.. "clowns" for the lack of a better expression.. lol

Hey wait a min! Maybe thats how I got my nickname!

Thanks SC,

My experience in line maintenance is 1yr 727 C check, no avionics since avionics was a separate classification, and over 8 years inspection on B/C checks, 747, DC-10, A-300, MD-80, 727, 737, so now you know my troubleshooting will be weak lol, depending...
Multiple guess? Study the FEFI/TAFI lol.
Seriously,
I am interested in starting at your PHX/DAL heavy maintenance base so perhaps T/S won't be a factor. Basic aircraft mx questions will be fun.
Is avionics a separate classification at SWA?
Any new hire A+P's over the age of 45?
What are inspector requirements at heavy mx base?
I like the uniform/shoe attire too....

Thanks for any replies.
RR

Thanks SC,

My experience in line maintenance is 1yr 727 C check, no avionics since avionics was a separate classification, and over 8 years inspection on B/C checks, 747, DC-10, A-300, MD-80, 727, 737, so now you know my troubleshooting will be weak lol, depending...
Multiple guess? Study the FEFI/TAFI lol.
Seriously,
I am interested in starting at your PHX/DAL heavy maintenance base so perhaps T/S won't be a factor. Basic aircraft mx questions will be fun.
Is avionics a separate classification at SWA?
Any new hire A+P's over the age of 45?
What are inspector requirements at heavy mx base?
I like the uniform/shoe attire too....

Thanks for any replies.
RR

I was told by a little birdy that, as the clown also said, it's general type questions. This bird also told me that they may show a pic of a a/c bay and ask where the ACM is, or where the pack valve is.

Also they are trying to see where you may fit in best. In other words you may not do well in line/avionics questions but do well in sheetmetal type questions and they may offer you a job in the hangar.

Hope this helps.

I was told by a little birdy that, as the clown also said, it's general type questions. This bird also told me that they may show a pic of a a/c bay and ask where the ACM is, or where the pack valve is.

Also they are trying to see where you may fit in best. In other words you may not do well in line/avionics questions but do well in sheetmetal type questions and they may offer you a job in the hangar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks WNjetdoc,

If one can't identify the air cycle machine in the a/c bay and the enlarged flanges to attach pack valve in duct with switch/wiring screaming here I am, then he/she is a sheet metal/painter/interior person posing. This is getting the juices flowing and generating excitement to say the least.
SWA not hiring in hangar now but accepting resumes for listed stations so will get mine in soon.

Any more insights/tips from you or anyone is greatly appreciated.
I am highly productive dedicated to keeping em safe and keeping em up cause when they're down, they aren't generating revenue.

Thank you for all input...

No problem. Are you sure we are not hiring in the hangar in MDW? On the bid board there are tons of openings in the hangar up there, if you want to get on perhaps you may want to inquire about Chicago, its a great city.

No problem. Are you sure we are not hiring in the hangar in MDW? On the bid board there are tons of openings in the hangar up there, if you want to get on perhaps you may want to inquire about Chicago, its a great city.

Interesting WNjetdoc,

It is a great city and didn't know you had a hangar at MDW. Will consider MDW.
First step in the hiring process asks to choose 3 work locations so please bear with me.
I understand heavy mx bases are PHX,DAL,IAH.

What maintenance is performed at MDW hangar and do all hangar stations perform same mx as MDW?
Any hangar mx at LAS,LAX or west of the rockies?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate the insights and recs WNJetdoc.

Interesting WNjetdoc,

It is a great city and didn't know you had a hangar at MDW. Will consider MDW.
First step in the hiring process asks to choose 3 work locations so please bear with me.
I understand heavy mx bases are PHX,DAL,IAH.

What maintenance is performed at MDW hangar and do all hangar stations perform same mx as MDW?
Any hangar mx at LAS,LAX or west of the rockies?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate the insights and recs WNJetdoc.

MDW is the city with the most opportunity for getting on in mx right now. They have been gearing up for another check line. Currently they do "B" and "C" checks in the hangar up there.

Yes the other heavy bases in addition to MDW are, PHX, DAL and HOU, (not IAH), I think you meant Hobby not IAH.

There are no hangars for us other than those above and also the full "D" check outsourced checks. LAX and LAS are line and they do hit it hard. LAS has the most flights of any station in our system. We also have line mx in SMF, a small crew of guys.

Lets see, I think the following are all of our stations with AMT's. BWI, PHL, MCO, TPA, BNA, MCI, STL, MDW, OAK, LAS, LAX, SLC.

MDW is the city with the most opportunity for getting on in mx right now. They have been gearing up for another check line. Currently they do "B" and "C" checks in the hangar up there.

Yes the other heavy bases in addition to MDW are, PHX, DAL and HOU, (not IAH), I think you meant Hobby not IAH.

There are no hangars for us other than those above and also the full "D" check outsourced checks. LAX and LAS are line and they do hit it hard. LAS has the most flights of any station in our system. We also have line mx in SMF, a small crew of guys.

Lets see, I think the following are all of our stations with AMT's. BWI, PHL, MCO, TPA, BNA, MCI, STL, MDW, OAK, LAS, LAX, SLC.

Much Thanks for you time and help WNjetdoc.
Can't think of anything else for now and good to know someone here to help if more to ask. If I get hired, I'll tell em WNjetdoc sent me hehe.

Best to you and yours....

Much Thanks for you time and help WNjetdoc.
Can't think of anything else for now and good to know someone here to help if more to ask. If I get hired, I'll tell em WNjetdoc sent me hehe.

Best to you and yours....

Goodluck to you man. We, at BWI, just hired 2 new guys about a month ago and 4 new guys starting next month.