Interesting Tidbit...

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
This is from someone on another website, no clue who they are or if they know what they are talking about, but interesting all the same....

-----------------------------------------------------------
The new company will be adopting a style very much like what the old PSA was. They know they are competing against WN as a LCC, and they are
upping the ante with it by becoming a "Low Cost Boutique Type Carrier". Although not a boutique carrier in size, the new US Airways will represent much of what you used to see at the old PSA, that Californians came to think of as a "great airline". They will be attmepting to pattern the new US Airways after the customer service & customer perception of this.
Chic, Stylish, & with a southern flair reminciscent of the old Piedmont is where they are attempting to go. For the last 6 weeks, HP quality & research staff have been travelling on jetBlue, Airtran, Alaska, Midwest, & Southwest
as reconnaissance agents filling out pages and pages of critique on good bad ugly etc etc on these flights in an effort to learn & develop a "better product" in the marketplace, than what is currently offered. This too has been happening with several international airlines that have received high commendations from customers. US/HP is attempting to change their "MO" to be what people want in an airline.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other internet rumours (hey, this is the place for then right?) say that the PSA Smile and the "our Smiles Aren't Just Painted On" slogan will be used (sounds far-fetched to me), and something about the 50 state flags being used on the aircraft. Also someone's roomate's hairdresser's brothers ex's best friend works for someone who is printing new ticket jackets that utilize both navy and teal.

Thats terrific.. I thought they had this all planned out a year ago... If they are still thinking stratgey now they are screwed. Tisk tisk... This far into the game, you'd think they were already planning the next merger.

Let's start by immediatley offering some type of IFE on ALL flights over 1hr. Isn't is rediculous that US FAs are disciplined for showing movies on routes like PHL-DEN ? I know procedures, procedures, but come on! For those of us who don't sleep on redeyes it is one hell of a long flight from California to PHL without entertainment.

Second, rationalize F fares and restore FC meal service on all flights 90mins plus and glassware on all flights. Provide a little value for the money...look at how well reasonable "A" fares do on markets like LAS/Florida/California...goes to show people will pay if they percieve there is value in the product.

Third... new, stylish yet practical uniforms. We should partner with companies like L'Oreal or MAC or something to offer free makeup and free makeup application courses to our female employees. Instead of having Bank of America raid the crew rooms/break rooms why not have some makeup or personal care product companies do the same thing? Men should recieve a membership to the hair club for men (hahaha just kidding)...We've all been through so much that something like thiswould be a real picker-upper for morale. Managers should ensure that our employees look sharp and professional at all times. It's amazing, but passengers really do notice how good/bad we look.

Fourth...gate information screens systemwide similar to those used by DL in major airports. What a truly impressive system they have!

I would also like to see EMB170 like interiors fleetwide (with inseat IFE if possible). Perhaps onboard internet and power ports at every seat?

Not that anyone has asked but here's my ideas as to what the product should be...

Seats....

New First Class Seats (maybe call it Envoy as well?), consistent on the narrowbodies and widebodies, using the turquoise (or is it teal?) they use for Envoy Class. Obviously the widebody ones would have more gadgetry and footrests, but it would be a more consistent feel. For God's sake bring back glassware. I used to drink wine out of plastic when I was a teenager. It wasn't classy then and it isn't now.

Economy... The E170 style leather seats with movable headrests, except I'd make just the headrest cloth, with the wings or whatever they call them, and the flag logo in the middle.

Express... The PSA CRJ interior. Put that on the Dash 8's along with soundproofing, use jetways, and you won't hear complaints about "props" but get the economics.

IFE
A330/A320- P@ssport sytem at every seat. The range of movies, albums, and shows on the A330 is terriric and beats LiveTV any day. You can listen to the new Coldplay album, have a Sex and the City marathon, and pause it when you need to powder your nose. That beats the hell out of watching plain old television. I can watch Montel and sing along to the Empire Carpet commercial at home.

EMB- Audio IFE only matching what's avaiable on the Airbus. Music, discussions, maybe even books on tape. First two rows would have laptop power ports and airfones, even though it's all one cabin, these would be somewhat premium seats and FF's throughout the cabin would get free drinks. That's pretty much the only thing making it not first class anyway. And take that misleading Express sign off... it only breeds contempt with employees and confusion with customers.

On the overhead monitors (which would need to be added to the A330), show maps and progress reports, cruising altitude, speed etc... people do take an interest in that sort of thing. Obviously it would be also used for safety videos and marketing as well. A detailed arrival video for each hub/focus city would be great too. On red eyes they could display sheep and stars. :)

Headsets would be available for $5 for you to keep, and could be bought at stands in the hubs or on the plane.

Express- A second inflight magazine. Why not a new collection of short stories and excerpts each month from current authors, complemented by work from interesting artists and photographers? Maybe it'a little highbrow, but it beats the SkyMall which you can't order from on Express anyway. And people need to read more. Change the name to something snappier... Express sounds cheap and second best. Maybe call it US Airways Metro?

The image of the airline should be stylish, classic but modern and clean. It's a grown-up airline, not a young "trendy" one, but an experienced airline that's adapted to the times. Low fares speak for themselves, you don't have to be trashy to get your point across. The same quality of service should be expected from a short Express flight to a long transatlantic one. If the ticket says US Airways, the same high standards (they need to be significantly higher in my opinion) of service and image should be adhered to.

Policies and services need to be evaluated and stuck to. US has a huge problem with consistency and I hope they can fix that with the new US Airways.

Uniforms should be a sharp business look. People will take pride if you give them something nice... airlines used to be sophisticated, bring a little bit of that back. Crewmembers should look like crewmembers as that's the role they are playing- not camp counselors, security agents or gas station attendants. Another thing that's important is being easily identifiable as an employee of the airline and what work group you work for. USE the airline's colors and logo in the uniform and make it something they are proud to be seen in.

I could go on and on.

Light Years said:
Ew, who on earth would you want to see in them? Unless you have a fetish for cottage cheese and spider veins.
[post="288572"][/post]​

LOL, girl you know that is right!!!! They also need to partner up with some gyms in major hub cities so people can have no excuse to be fatty Pattys and the uniforms need to be business like and conservative not tacky khakis - LOOK and ACT like trailer trash will not be a good image for the company!!!

yes, Light Years, sweetheart, might I gently and respectively suggest to you that the 90's are over.

Not that I'd ever question your sense of style, but.... it's just an airline. People are suspicious of traditional, institutional stodginess. Look at the polls. Look at Congress. Look at corporate america. Look at the Catholic church.

Maybe a little more relaxed is better. It doesn't mean you toss jelly beans from the cockpit upon landing in FRA.

Fine then. Just let folks wear wife beaters and jeans like at the PHL Terminal, and the planes can just be a mixed bag. Maybe some won't even have seats.

All of those other carriers are just silly with thier defined product. US Airways is crappy and inconsistent so I guess we'll just keep it that way.

Sorry for being so 90's. I'm going to go put on my Hypercolor shirt and listen to my Wilson Phillips album now. :rolleyes:

I think Light Years is right. U is sloppy and inconsistant and they need to be better and improved. People are tired of our tired blue stiff uniforms..they need to be sharp and classy. It seems that maybe RowUnderDCA does not like change and just wants U to stay looking crappy. Well, Row, maybe you should go work or fly for or on SouthWest if you like the casual, dirty sneaker and trashier look. Sorry, but some of us love this airline and want it to progress.

Latest posts