What to own and what not to

Nov 4, 2007
Flight Chic had some really great points in a few of her posts that I think deserve more attention.

The new US has put us in a position where we have very few tools. In the past, we've always scrambled and "made it work". I am sure that this appliles to all departments, not just inflight. She cited a flight where a first class passenger asked for what are normal available items on other carriers that she was not able to provide. The lady became unpleasant and that was too bad, but in the final analysis, I think we can all understand that when you find yourself captive of a poor business, you get cranky.

Here's what I propose. We all have people skills, we wouldn't be here if we didn't. We have a duty, it is our job to be pleasant and accomodating, however we are not genies and cannot produce amenities at will. As pleasantly as possible when something is not there for you to give, tell the customer "USairways does not provide this. What can I do for you with what I've got?" or some other verbiage, I am open to suggestions. If we all preface our responses with this, and I mean verbatim, it will finally get across to the customer that it is not the employees that are imposing this nonsense and I do believe that this is vital, because we are very badly perceived right now and I resent being held responsible for the abysmal decisions of people who don't have to face the consequences.

Don't make it work. It doesn't work. We do ourselves a disservice when we do that. We owe the customer a pleasant helpful persona, but we can only do with what we've been given. Let the consequences happen or they'll never change.

The other thing is please don't go to any crew session and bring it up. Theoretically US has managers who are supposed to do their job. Your only obligation is to use that inflight form and report the aberration. That's it. If you don't have ice on BOS, then you don't. Ask Mr. Parker about being the worst airline in the world, or when you'll get a contract, or if there will be new airplanes, but forget the other garbage that is someone else's responsibility. We can't own US' problems. We're just a cog in the machine.

I do not know enough about Shares, or the other dept's, but perhaps this is applicable to them too?

The customers deserve the truth. Then they can make their decisions. If amenities do not mean anything to them, they'll be back, if they do, they'll make their decisions accordingly. (Interesting that ice is now an amenity, though).

Galley Princess you are right on the money with your post. Passengers have become tired of empty promises and poor solutions from our leadership. Our web site paints a great picture to travelers of an outstanding service; only to find out that it is far below any expectation. By refocusing the frustration of the flying public from the cabin crew to the company leadership; we have taken the stress and embarrassment away from us and have placed it where it belongs. The majority of our employees( east and west) strive to build a successful airline that provides what it promotes. There are many good ideas among line employees on how to improve our service from check in to baggage claim, but alas it all falls on deaf ears. Front line employees are the face of the airline not the Rio Salado adult beverage tasting club. The computer system is sub standard, first class has become a larger economy class, plastic cups on long haul for east operations is now the norm. We all know that change will not becoming in the near future. We are all professionals and have worked hard and long to keep our heads above water. A smile and a simple" thats not provided by the company on this flight" will be enough to keep your sanity until you reach your overnight. If long enough enjoy a debrief and a nice meal and get ready for the next day. If it is a short overnight sleep fast and fly safe. The enemy is not our passengers or other employees.