Iraq - what do we do now?

Leto2

Advanced
Oct 6, 2006
Arizona
Obviously some members of this forum disagree about why we went to Iraq and whether we should have gone at all. I've seen tons of criticism of Iraq in the media, but not many suggestions on what to do.

Nevertheless, we are there. What do we do now?

Here are a few options I've heard, by no means are they comprehensive:

* Stay there until Iraqi security forces can handle the conflict themselves. This will probably be a while.

* Set a deadline, December 2007 for example, and have our troops out no matter what.

* Leaflet the whole Sunni Triangle telling the people they have 3 days to leave and then bomb it to smitherines. (I'm not condoning this, just an idea from Michael Savage.)

I'm not sure what to do myself. It seems like we're in a pickle. What do you think?

Obviously some members of this forum disagree about why we went to Iraq and whether we should have gone at all. I've seen tons of criticism of Iraq in the media, but not many suggestions on what to do.

Nevertheless, we are there. What do we do now?

Here are a few options I've heard, by no means are they comprehensive:

* Stay there until Iraqi security forces can handle the conflict themselves. This will probably be a while.

* Set a deadline, December 2007 for example, and have our troops out no matter what.

* Leaflet the whole Sunni Triangle telling the people they have 3 days to leave and then bomb it to smitherines. (I'm not condoning this, just an idea from Michael Savage.)

I'm not sure what to do myself. It seems like we're in a pickle. What do you think?
The problem is, we can't just pull out and come home. So the best option, IMHO, is to stay until Iraqi security forces can handle it. And it will be a while. I also think that because it will be a while, the draft is going to have to be reinstituted in order to keep our staffing levels high enough thru the coming years.

The problem is, we can't just pull out and come home. So the best option, IMHO, is to stay until Iraqi security forces can handle it. And it will be a while. I also think that because it will be a while, the draft is going to have to be reinstituted in order to keep our staffing levels high enough thru the coming years.

In my opinion, there are times when there is not an answer. This is one of those times. The security forces in Iraq in my opinion will never be ready or able to maintain order in the country. Unless there is martial law as there was under Sadam, what we have now will always exist unless there is a civil war and one faction eliminates the other. Democracy will die when the last US troops leave Iraqi soil. At some point US troops will have to leave. We do not have the economy to pump 50, 60 or more billions of dollars into Iraq each year. The US economy is going in the toilet and the people will not put up with this for much longer. The only decision face the US at this point is if we want to let Iraq go to hell in a hand basket now or later. To think democracy can be brought to the Middle East is in my opinion foolish.

That's the way I see it as well.
But if we cannot add more boots on the ground to support the transition, then we should go ahead and cut/run then let the 'next' generation worry about it. :blink:

B)

In my opinion, there are times when there is not an answer. This is one of those times. The security forces in Iraq in my opinion will never be ready or able to maintain order in the country. Unless there is martial law as there was under Sadam, what we have now will always exist unless there is a civil war and one faction eliminates the other. Democracy will die when the last US troops leave Iraqi soil. At some point US troops will have to leave. We do not have the economy to pump 50, 60 or more billions of dollars into Iraq each year. The US economy is going in the toilet and the people will not put up with this for much longer. The only decision face the US at this point is if we want to let Iraq go to hell in a hand basket now or later. To think democracy can be brought to the Middle East is in my opinion foolish.
I agree and would just like to add that a pandoras box has been opened, we did'nt intiate the war but we must find a way to exterminate that Ideaology that wishes to do away with western civilization and any way of life that runs counter to Islam or Life for our grandchildren will be unspeakable.

I agree and would just like to add that a pandoras box has been opened, we did'nt intiate the war but we must find a way to exterminate that Ideaology that wishes to do away with western civilization and any way of life that runs counter to Islam or Life for our grandchildren will be unspeakable.
Local 12..short of killing all Muslims...how do you tell Ahab the local fish salesmen from Mohammed the terrorist, they dress alike, talk alike, worship in the same places - what's your solution?

Local 12..short of killing all Muslims...how do you tell Ahab the local fish salesmen from Mohammed the terrorist, they dress alike, talk alike, worship in the same places - what's your solution?
Kill them all then let God sort them out?

Can't tell a real terrorist with out a program......

Never know do you KC...could have one living next door and you'd never know then would you? :lol:

Never know do you KC...could have one living next door and you'd never know then would you? :lol:
Should I kill him then? Would I get off with a self defense plea?

Can't tell if there's an American murderer living next door, can you? Better kill all American's too and let God sort them out. How ignorant.

You Can't tell them apart, and thats the crux of our dillema. What we are left with is spreading the true word of God and showing these people how they have been mislead by some insane demented self proclaimed prophet.

here is a good site if you would like to get a better understanding of what our world is up against, try and read it with an open mind.
http://www.prophetofdoom.net/

You Can't tell them apart, and thats the crux of our dillema. What we are left with is spreading the true word of God and showing these people how they have been mislead by some insane demented self proclaimed prophet.

here is a good site if you would like to get a better understanding of what our world is up against, try and read it with an open mind.
http://www.prophetofdoom.net/
Hasn't that already been tried with the Crusades?

The crusades were carried out to reclaim the Holy Land stolen by the Muslims.

The muslims were native to the region. What happened is that another religion grew and developed...not that a horde of people who just so happened to already live there took over their own land.

Get a grip on history and reality.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I started this post. You think that we shouldn't have gone to war. OK. Now what? It sounds like you're suggesting we just leave because there's nothing we can really do. I think that that's pretty selfish and irresponsible. We HAVE to fix what we broke (if indeed we broke it -- to say that it was OK when Saddam was there is to surrender to dictatorship and brutality and to oppose everything the USA stands for).

I also disagree that we don't have the economy to support the war. Our economy is doing fine. Unemployment is low, inflation is under control, the DOW is at an all time high, etc. etc. The New York Times and the rest of the media just like to make us believe the economy isn't fine.

Doesn't the terrorist often have traces of bomb making materials on his hands? or he shoots at our troops? or he gives money to Bin Laden? or he has an unusual amount of explosives and weapons in his house? or he vocally supports the anti-US terrorist supporting clerics? or he has blueprints of a public school on his computer? etc.

True that not all have these characteristics, but a lot of them do.
If Ahab the local fisherman would denouce the terrorists it would be very easy to know that he's not one of them.

Latest posts

Back