is it airline or airlines?

JS

Veteran
Aug 24, 2002
DFW
Visit site
Why does each airline use the word "Airlines" in the name? (e.g., United Airlines)

They should change it to "Airline". The following uses singular and plural, which is wrong:

I hate working for this airline. I work for United Airlines.

And, while we're at it, is it "Airlines" or "Air Lines?"

United Airlines
Delta Air Lines

Why does each airline use the word "Airlines" in the name? (e.g., United Airlines)

They should change it to "Airline". The following uses singular and plural, which is wrong:

I hate working for this airline. I work for United Airlines.

United Airlines
Delta Air Lines

Do not forget "Airways." :D I always figured that in the early days the term "airline" or "airlines" came from the routes shown on a map from one destination to another. They were lines in the air. "We are United and fly air-lines in the sky." I love that Delta is the last, that I am aware of, that uses the term "Air Lines." United was once United Air Lines. "Air Lines" just seems classier, as does "Airways." I am not as fond of a carrier being named "Air ___________."

United Airlines
Delta Air Lines

UAL is officially United AIRLINES
DL is officially Delta AIR LINES

Simple, huh.

Perhaps the name Airlines or Air Lines came about when they were first formed when looking at their route maps.........they flew AIR LINES, just as the railroads were RAIL LINES or shipping lines were, as an example Cunard Lines or White Star Lines.

UAL is officially United AIRLINES
DL is officially Delta AIR LINES

Simple, huh.

Perhaps the name Airlines or Air Lines came about when they were first formed when looking at their route maps.........they flew AIR LINES, just as the railroads were RAIL LINES or shipping lines were, as an example Cunard Lines or White Star Lines.

the neon lights on the side of the United Airlnes maintenence center at San Francisco is the actual true Spelling..
United Air Lines.
Each "route" is an "Air Line". In referring to the "Airline" itself "airlines" is the term used as in "What airline do you fly for"??
"United Airlines" That's the way it was explained to me. I lost $20 in a bet as well.. My chisleing brother has an English degree.

That's true. Even if an airline flew to only two cities, they could say they have two routes by including the direction (DFW-DAL and DAL-DFW) and still be able to call the airline "Dallas Airlines".