Is The Airline Terminal Club Still Viable?

whlinder

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
IAD
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...0-2005Apr4.html

Bob Johnson, a Mystic Island, N.J., sales trainer, said he recently renewed his $300 membership with US Airways so he could use the club when he travels to Los Angeles on his business. But US Airways closed that club on Saturday, along with its clubs in San Francisco and West Palm Beach, Fla.

"What's my incentive to fly them now? I might as well fly one of the low-cost airlines," Johnson said.

Has anyone answered Bob or Art's questions to their satisfaction? (Why should we stay?)

"What's my incentive to fly them now? I might as well fly one of the low-cost airlines," Johnson said.

Based on what PineyBob has written in this forum, that is an empty threat.

One of doesn't mean Southwest necessarily. I know Bob is exploring alternatives, and I will also for some of my travel as I expect to do more east west travel this year.

Regarding the club closings you will note from that article that US didn't close just one or two clubs like the others, they closed almost a third of their network...which is a much larger percentage...and don't expect a 25% to 30% reduction in dues--THAT's our main problem...

To answer WH, the answer would be almost but not quite...

Bob and Greg are looking for something specific--I am just looking for the operation to run reliably and for everyone who shows up to do their job--and that is EVERYONE....

The company has to make money on something. RENT is not cheap. They are not making it on the fares.

Art at ISP said:
Bob and Greg are looking for something specific--I am just looking for the operation to run reliably and for everyone who shows up to do their job--and that is EVERYONE....
[post="260647"][/post]​

I know an airline that fits that description to a tee, but you won't fly them.

KC drop it already--you have your preferences, I have mine. I respect your choice, you obviously don't respect mine

I am sorry but cattle class is not for me.

Please get over it.

Art at ISP said:
KC drop it already--you have your preferences, I have mine. I respect your choice, you obviously don't respect mine

I am sorry but cattle class is not for me.

Please get over it.
[post="260658"][/post]​

All I am saying Art is that you want an airline with a reliable operation, has employees that show up to work, and who provide a very decent level of customer service and offer the "fares-stupid" that you find attractive to boot.

Cattle class is not for me either - nor for several thousand business types in Texas and California - yet we fly Southwest quite often. And we have yet to either moo or be branded while taking a flight. Perhaps you should try them with an open mind and not lose sleep the night before because you don't have a seat assignment. You might be pleasantly surprised.

PineyBob said:
What part of "When they give me an assigned seat" has you confused? when they do, I will do as JS suggested. Fly them and write a trip report.

I've flown EVERY decent sized LCC there is except SWA! NO ASSIGNED SEAT NO MONEY FROM ME! Get it? Got it? GOOD!
[post="260663"][/post]​

Don't recall speaking to you Bob...I was talking to Art, who lives in a place where Southwest is the largest carrier there. They offer everything he says he's looking for...INCLUDING the fares.

With you anyways, I am of the opinion that even if they offered assigned seats, you'd find another excuse (no first class, no airport clubs, the planes are ugly, whatever). Your ego was stroked by getting quoted in a newspaper article. Your name wasn't mentioned by me in this thread. Sorry to disappoint you.

Since WN doesnt have clubs, I see no reason to continue discussing seating preferences and WN in this thread, unless someone knows that WN is opening a club. Thanks.

It's as viable as First Class is in general, which is to say not very. If noone buys first class fares, then the infrastructure necessary to support it isn't worth the investment. I think the whole frequent flyer thing is ridiculous in the internet-distribution era. Customers who have more than one card really don't have enough loyalty to reward them with expensive perks. Give people cash-back for the miles they fly when they book through the airlines web site would be the best way to reward loyalty. Or give them the lowest of either the web-fare available on their day of travel or the day they book the flight (a float-down if you will).

Reward loyalty with value rather than adding an unnecessary expense to the airline.

Folks,

We PAY for the clubs--it's not a free perk. My point is that the fewer clubs there are, the less they should charge for membership.

One thing they could do would be to take back the operation of the bars in the clubs, rather than subcontracting them. Then they could keep the revenue to themselves--and bars are VERY profitable.

PineyBob said:
It's all about value and right now SWA and US are not winning the value proposition.
[post="260734"][/post]​
Bob, you forgot to finish the sentence. WN and US are not winning the value proposition for your business. Other customers still find that they win the value proposition, though US can't seem to win at profitable fares.

PineyBob said:
A little testy I see! JS made an excellent suggestion, one I fully intend to take him up on. Just as soon as there are assigned seats.

To build on what Art said, we DO pay for the clubs personally, and when you take away a club in a place like LAX or SFO where I live and die on red eye flights I have to question the value proposition.

While the big seat is nice, you also have to look at the expense to your company of an extra hotel night, rental car day and meal allowance. Those three items alone are often more than the entire airfare out there. This means that WITH a club I can afford to pay $250 more in airfare and still break even on my costs as opposed to staying another day.

So the net effect of US Airways decision is to force me to be a total price shopper now. Which means that they are often going to be found wanting. I can use America West just for my transcons and hit there first tier elite on just the transcons AND save money for my company. Plus America West has a F cabin. American west also has a club in LAS where most east coast red-eyes connect through. It's all about value and right now SWA and US are not winning the value proposition.
[post="260734"][/post]​

Did you notice the part that said when companies stop paying for the employees club memberships then the employees stop seeing the value in it? Also, would you mind citing an airline that is either A) not it bankruptcy or B.) not close to bankruptcy that has clubs and other "value" to the passenger?

Back