Us Airways Brings Gofares To Its Hometown

US AIRWAYS BRINGS GOFARES TO ITS HOMETOWN

Washington, D.C. Fares Start as Low as $79* Each Way

ARLINGTON, Va., June 18, 2004 -- US Airways® today rolled out its next wave of its GoFares®, offering Washington, D.C.-area travelers low, simplified fares for travel on twenty-two initial routes from Ronald Reagan Washington National and Washington Dulles International airports. Employees will be performing “unbelievable†acts of kindness as part of a nine-day campaign to tell Washingtonians about their new local GoFares.

Washington GoFares start as low as $79* each way, with last-minute Coach Class fares as low as $84* one-way and never higher than $499*. The new last-minute GoFares do not have a Saturday-night stay requirement and represent savings of up to 70 percent or more compared to previous last-minute fares.

“Bringing these low, simple fares to our customers is a key component of our broader transformation plan. Washington travelers will benefit from both the new low advance-purchase fares as well as the capped last-minute fares, which bring low-fare travel to both Washington airports, including the most convenient airport to the downtown business district,†said B. Ben Baldanza, US Airways senior vice president of marketing and planning. “As the hometown carrier of our nation’s capital, we’re pleased to complement our extensive business and leisure schedule in Washington with low fares that are here to stay.â€

In addition to low fares, customers flying US Airways enjoy many benefits not always offered by low fare alternatives, including:

The convenience of Washington National Airport’s proximity and quick curb-to-gate time
Pre-boarding for Preferred Dividend Miles members
A First Class cabin with the ability to upgrade from Coach Class
In-flight Café on select flights
Ability to earn frequent flier miles for travel to and from more than 750 destinations
through US Airways’ participation in the Star Alliance
Advance seat assignments

Employees will be on the streets of neighborhoods throughout the metropolitan Washington area with thousands of giveaways and can be seen washing cars, giving our Father’s Day treats, and offering free gasoline, among many other activities planned over the course of the next week. These events will “pop up†throughout the greater Washington area without advance notice as acts of appreciation for loyal US Airways customers and to call attention to the new GoFares.

SAMPLE EACH-WAY GOFARES TO/FROM WASHINGTON, D.C.

Destination Advance Purchase GoFares From* Last Minute
GoFares From*
Fort Lauderdale, Fla. $ 79 $ 84
Las Vegas $ 99 $102
Myrtle Beach, S.C. $ 79 $121
Orlando, Fla. $ 79 $242
Phoenix $ 99 $102
Raleigh/Durham, N.C. $ 79 $129
Savannah, Ga. $ 99 $149

Washington GoFares are available to and from these cities as well as Atlanta, Chattanooga, Tenn., Columbia, S.C., Kansas City, Mo., New Orleans, La., Norfolk, Va., Portland, Maine, White Plains, N.Y., and Fort Myers, Jacksonville, Pensacola, Sarasota, Tallahassee, Tampa and West Palm Beach, Fla.

*US Airways’ GoFares are simple, however, in addition to the fare, the federal government requires that the company collect a tax of $3.10 every time a customer takes off on one of
US Airways’ planes, plus $2.50 per segment, up to $10 per trip (the September 11th Security Fee). Some of the airports that customers might visit also charge up to $4.50 for passing through, but the total is capped at $18 per trip. The lowest fares must be purchased 14 days in advance, are based on required roundtrip service, a one-night minimum stay, and are nonrefundable. Last minute fares are available one-way. Last-minute fares savings of up to 74 percent are off of Y fares that were available on June 17, 2004 and prior.

US Airways introduced the first phase of its GoFares in Philadelphia on April 29, 2004, making them available on 13 routes. US Airways now offers GoFares between Philadelphia and Boston (introduced May 13), Chicago (O’Hare), Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix, Providence, R.I., San Diego (introduced June 10), and Tampa, Fla. US Airways also announced GoFares between Philadelphia and Houston, Los Angeles, Manchester, N.H., New Orleans, Raleigh-Durham, N.C., and West Palm Beach, Fla., for travel beginning July 6, 2004.

US Airways is offering an introductory special of triple Dividend Miles® for Washington GoFares travel booked at usairways.com, when members register before purchase at usairways.com/dm/9998. Customers can earn double Dividend Miles when booking Washington GoFares through their travel professional. Members must register for double miles before departure at usairways.com/dm/4597 or by calling 1-800-872-4738 and entering bonus request 4597.

This offer may not be combined with other flight bonus offers, and retroactive mileage credit will not be given prior to registration. All Dividend Miles terms and conditions apply.

US Airways has many other airline partners, and a part of a GoFare or any other trip might be on one of the partner’s airplanes. These GoFares are available for travel on the US Airways Express® carriers Allegheny, Air Midwest, Chautauqua, Colgan, Mesa, MidAtlantic Airways, Piedmont, PSA, Shuttle America or Trans States. A flight also might be operated by our Star Alliance partner United Airlines®. For all of the details about GoFares, including a few other restrictions, please go to usairways.com.

US Airways is Washington’s hometown carrier and the largest flight operator at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, with nearly 180 daily departures to 44 nonstop destinations. The airline is also Arlington County’s second largest employer with 1,977 employees. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle® and the US Airways Express partner carriers operate over 3,300 flights per day to nearly 200 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. For more information on US Airways flight schedules and fares, contact US Airways online at usairways.com, or call US Airways Reservations at 1-800-428-4322. ©2004 US Airways,
US Airways Express, Dividend Miles and GoFares are registered trademarks of US Airways, Inc.

Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Communications at (703) 872-5100.

22 markets to begin with, huh? The 22 markets most likely to have LCC competition, or the 22 markets that already do? Why make a complicated fare structure even more complicated for your customer? Why not stop the incursions by other airlines by changing all markets from DCA to GoFares? Better yet, why not change the entire network to a LCC fare structure? Make it harder for B6 to enter regional markets with their upcoming E190's by blanketing the entire East Coast, from BGR to EYW, with a simplified fare structure?

GoFares From*
Fort Lauderdale, Fla. TED, WN
Las Vegas $ 99 $102 TED, WN, HP
Myrtle Beach, S.C. $ 79 $121 Hooters Air
Orlando, Fla. $ 79 $242 TED, WN
Phoenix $ 99 $102 WN, HP
Raleigh/Durham, N.C. $ 79 $129 WN, DH
Savannah, Ga. $ 99 $149 DH

Washington GoFares are available to and from these cities as well as Atlanta (DH/FL), Chattanooga, Tenn., Columbia, S.C. (DH), Kansas City, Mo. (WN), New Orleans, La. (WN), Norfolk, Va. (WN/DH), Portland, Maine (DH), White Plains, N.Y. (DH), and Fort Myers, Jacksonville (WN, DH), Pensacola, Sarasota, Tallahassee, Tampa (WN/TED) and West Palm Beach, Fla (WN).
----

Wow, talk about a huge move, introducing lower fares to Chattanooga! and Fort Meyers! oh and don't forget about Pensacola, Sarasota and Tallahassee.
That is exciting!!!!

whlinder said:

---

Wow, talk about a huge move, introducing lower fares to Chattanooga! and Fort Meyers! oh and don't forget about Pensacola, Sarasota and Tallahassee.
That is exciting!!!!
Keep in mind that Pensacola, Tallahassee and Fort Myers do have low-fare service from Airtran (via ATL or nonstop from DCA in the case of RSW). Airtran flies from IAD,DCA and BWI. The fares that US is offering in these markets are good, but nothing revolutionary. I've flown DCA-PNS for as low as $79 each in the past during a fare war between DL and Airtran.

The lower fares for Sarasota and Chattanooga are a surprise as these cities have no real LCC presence.

But you notice in the DCA annoucement BWI was left out. Seems that is a Washington area airport. Airtran, Southwest, America West, and Frontier are there. JetBlue wanted to come about a year or so ago but state could only give them 1 gate.

This news will permit US Airways to maintain its customer base and may even stimulate more traffic. The downside? DCA employees will have to work harder and US Airways will lose more money with some of its revenue premium gone...again.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

As a DC area resident, I'm delighted. While all three airports are equidistant in driving time for me, DCA is the least hassle and lower fares (no need to match BWI or IAD exactly, just come close) will make me a regular instead of occasional customer.

At the moment, UAIR doesn't offer non-stops to my usual destinations, but maybe the new p2p flights will.

USA320Pilot said:
This news will permit US Airways to maintain its customer base and may even stimulate more traffic. The downside? DCA employees will have to work harder and US Airways will lose more money with some of its revenue premium gone...again.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
I didn't think US had that much of a premium as of late at DCA since Sprit, and AirTran got slots there and when the Shuttle went to a capped fare.

whlinder said:

GoFares From*
Fort Lauderdale, Fla. TED, WN
Las Vegas $ 99 $102 TED, WN, HP
Myrtle Beach, S.C. $ 79 $121 Hooters Air
Orlando, Fla. $ 79 $242 TED, WN
Phoenix $ 99 $102 WN, HP
Raleigh/Durham, N.C. $ 79 $129 WN, DH
Savannah, Ga. $ 99 $149 DH

Washington GoFares are available to and from these cities as well as Atlanta (DH/FL), Chattanooga, Tenn., Columbia, S.C. (DH), Kansas City, Mo. (WN), New Orleans, La. (WN), Norfolk, Va. (WN/DH), Portland, Maine (DH), White Plains, N.Y. (DH), and Fort Myers, Jacksonville (WN, DH), Pensacola, Sarasota, Tallahassee, Tampa (WN/TED) and West Palm Beach, Fla (WN).
----

That is exciting!!!!
your only mistake is Ft Meyers, this is a HUGE, potential market!!!!! Growing like mad, new airport(doubling in size), explosive growth. just thought I would point that out

Pylit said:
I thought PIT was UAir's Hometown...
Actually, US Airways probably is the hometown carrier in Washington because the headquarters is there and no other carrier has as many flights out of DCA. US Airways is the hometown carrier in Philly too, nobody has more flights to more places. Same for CLT too! And the same can be said for PIT as well. No airline has as many flights out of PIT as US Airways and even if they drop a few flights, they will still be the biggest in PIT.

I guess it depends upon your point of view. Is the hometown driven by where the carrier has the most employees and flights or by what an individual customer considers their hometown carrier from a travel perspective?

If driven by the customer, there would be multiple hometowns, if driven by the airline, I suppose you can have only one hometown.

A rather silly debate I guess, but I had never thought about it until I saw this post. I would say US Airways should try to be everyone on the East Coast's "Hometown Airline".

Its unclear where the airlines home is. Most airlines have a mecca- Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta etc that the airline is centered around.

US has facilities scattered in PIT and CLT, and even INT, but the headquarters is Crystal City. Most employees dont really think of DC as the airlines home because they do recruiting and training in PIT or CLT. Most employees have never been to Crystal City, many couldnt even identify the building in a picture. Its weird to think that US Airways is actually a Virginia company.

I think thats a part of the culture problem. The airline operation is run in one place, while the suits are in the palace a few states away, far away from the heart and soul of the airline, its people or its customers. I guess they like it that way, as little contact with reality as possible.