Is the Bush Administration stomping on our rights?

What exactly won't we learn? To selectively apply the USC? To circumvent it when it is inconvenient? To violate it when we ever we feel justified in doing so? To expect people/nations to do as we say but not as we do?

Given the fact that the US government determined that Adballah Salih al-Ajmi was not a danger (how I do not know since there was no trial) and released him, do you think that his incarceration for a few years could have been a factor in his decision to become a suicide bomber? Given that the US government could not even determine that this one man was danger, how are we supposed to rely on them for anything else?

The last time I checked, the US does not represent a nation that would 'humanely release them at sea' as a punishment. That is something done by a dictatorship. That is something done by a nation or leader that the US would or at least used to stand against.

While I rarely agree with any thing AMT writes, I do agree with him when he said you seem to be advocating becoming the enemy that we are fighting against. I am not interested in sacrificing the principles this nation was founded on to satisfy a need for revenge. Should we proceed down that path, we have already lost.

They aren't covered under USC.

No they are not covered due to a mere technicality. They are not covered due to the fact that we have kept them off of US soil. We rendition them to other nations to do our dirty work because we have laws against what we are hiring others to do on our behalf. We hire others to do what we will not because the US government knows that we as a people will not stand for treating our enemy as they would treat us. Our government knows that regardless of what happens on US soil, we are a country of laws. Most of us still believe that and would never vote to suspend them. Unfortunately we allow Congress to do as they will with out holding them accountable. We listen to the likes of Bush and Cheney when they use fear and threats to 'coerce' the people into believing that becoming more and more like our enemy will save us. We put them in Gitmo so that we can avoid those pesky US laws that are so bothersome. That is not what the US is supposed to be about. That is not what we proclaim to the world that the US is all about.

The fact that we place the detainees in Gitmo is no more legitimate than the slight of hand that David Copperfield or other magicians use. The elephant never really disappears.

Its an international law thing....wouldn't matter if they were in Bugtussle....they aren't afforded the same as you and I.
Debate rights and wrongs all day Cos...
With all due respect...they are lucky they weren't my problem.

My understanding was that it is a location thing. Since they are not on US soil, they do not need to be treated according to US law.

Latest posts