Is time running out on DCA, LGA or BOS

Upstate NY? Virtually gone. Florida? Gone. Lot of the nonstops to the midlevel markets in the southeast? Gone.

Not all of that was after 9/11. Some was before. Somewhere I have a late 1990s timetable--when I can dig it up I will report back on BOS then versus BOS now.
Boston flies non stop several times each week day to ROC, SYR, BUF and ALB. Flights to GSO have discontinued several years ago but not as a result of B6 as you claim. CMH has also discontinued but I'm not sure of the time frame. As mentioned in my previous post, besides Florida, very little market share has been lost since the late 90s.

Primarily two reasons, although there's plenty of minor items hiding here and there.....

1 - fuel cost. See chart in this post.

2 - shrinkage. Lower expenses were achieved but ended up spread over much fewer ASM's, so CASM didn't go down as much as the decline in expenses would suggest.

So CASM wouldn't have gone down as much, in percentage terms, as expenses because of ASM reductions, and increasing fuel costs offset what CASM reduction there actually would have been.

Jim
Thank You.

W'ell I am going to remain opptomistic about the whole picture. If HP was profitable all these years, some not, in PHX and LAS, I am sure we will remain a big Hub operation, with as many flights possible. Remember, there aren't any other carriers competing in the PHX market besides US and WN. Some people do not want just WN as a choice. No other carrier has significant flights. Plus we have a good Mexico, Canada, Hawaii market running with no competiion. Also was hinted in a townhall, or fa meeting at the training center this wk, Scott Kirby talked about an International expansion out of PHX.
As far as PHL, they will always make money. The other shuttle markets are pretty dominated by US. CLT is a connection cash cow. All I know is we can't be a Global Airline and pull out of the West again, big mistake! This merger wouldn't of made sense, if they were just going to shut the west down. :)

Upstate NY? Virtually gone. Florida? Gone. Lot of the nonstops to the midlevel markets in the southeast? Gone.

Not all of that was after 9/11. Some was before. Somewhere I have a late 1990s timetable--when I can dig it up I will report back on BOS then versus BOS now.

Off the top of my head, as recently as the mid-90's there were non-stops from BOS to FLL; TPA; PBI; MCO; and RSW (always full for Red Sox spring training).

IOW, places where people from New England want to go, which is being recognized by the marketing departments at JetBlue and AirTran, who add new Florida flights from BOS every winter.

US also flew full-size jets to other destinations non-stop out of BOS, like BUF, DAY, CMH, etc.

A lot of this can be solved if the f/a's would just break away from their schedules being built around the pilot lines. The pilot lines from PHL move to CLT and the flights still stay in PHL. Well if the f/a lines were built separately, the postions would stay in PHL.

And my two cents on the next bast closings. LGA will be next. They are already starting to scale it down. They pulled all of the 321 extra lines out of there for the month of Dec. That is how it begins....

A lot of this can be solved if the f/a's would just break away from their schedules being built around the pilot lines. The pilot lines from PHL move to CLT and the flights still stay in PHL. Well if the f/a lines were built separately, the postions would stay in PHL.

And my two cents on the next bast closings. LGA will be next. They are already starting to scale it down. They pulled all of the 321 extra lines out of there for the month of Dec. That is how it begins....

that is so true.

W'ell I am going to remain opptomistic about the whole picture. If HP was profitable all these years, some not, in PHX and LAS, I am sure we will remain a big Hub operation, with as many flights possible. Remember, there aren't any other carriers competing in the PHX market besides US and WN. Some people do not want just WN as a choice. No other carrier has significant flights. Plus we have a good Mexico, Canada, Hawaii market running with no competiion. Also was hinted in a townhall, or fa meeting at the training center this wk, Scott Kirby talked about an International expansion out of PHX.
As far as PHL, they will always make money. The other shuttle markets are pretty dominated by US. CLT is a connection cash cow. All I know is we can't be a Global Airline and pull out of the West again, big mistake! This merger wouldn't of made sense, if they were just going to shut the west down. :)

HP held it's own against Wn with CASM of 7-8 cents; I think we're in big trouble at 16 which is where we are now!

I didn't say NY doesn't make money. According to Parker, NY is not a huge money maker as far as expanding mainline flying from there. Check out the recent CLT crew meeting on the hub where Parker addresses this issue.
They've cut sooooooo much mainline flying from LGA. Anybody remember how much mainline flying we used to have out of there? and it wasn't even a base! A base for Shuttle Inc. but not for USAir. Off the top of my head some of the cities that have lost nonstop mainine flights from LGA:
BUF
ROC
SDF
ORF
RDU
GSO
IND
FLL
PBI ( what a nightmare)
MSY
BDA (that may still exist seasonally)

Those are off the top of my head and there is probably more. We used to fly these with 737-300/400, DC-9's (unitl they were retired) and some 319's right up until 9/11 happened. All of this was accomplished without having a base there. In my opinion (with the exception of the original Shuttle F/A's) not many want want to be in LGA (by choice) and many are there because of displacements or because they were recalled there and can't get out. As far as the Shuttle goes, DCA and BOS overnight in LGA for some 2 day Shuttle trips and that is costing the company hotel $$$. Pass through that airport and look around, we operate all or at least 98% of the mainline flights out of the Shuttle terminal and the other side is ALL express. With the exception of CLT there really is not any mainline flying to the other hubs.

PBI Pax: I need a bloody mary mix, a water, and a coffee two creams six sugahs...

EMBFA: Oh, how nice of you to order for the whole row! Coming right up.