New product and synergy ideas

jcw

Veteran
Aug 12, 2004
With spiraling into mgmt sucks I thought it would be fun to talk about new products and airport synergies.

For example - with the number of flights between th following routes should the shuttle become a national product:

Dfw-LAX
DFW-ORD
oRD-DCA
ORD-LGA
ORD-BOS
DFW-MIA
MIA-LGA
Etc

How many routes can go from rj's to mainline due to overlap - both airlines are flying between these cities but with rj's

PIT-STL
CLT-JFK
RDU-LGA

How many airports can AA exit their leases since US has enough gates

PIT
MSY
RIC
MCO
JAX
BOS
GSO

How many airports will AA be able to exit leases of airport counters

PDX
RIC
DCA

How many international flights can be added due to more wide bodies

PHX-NRT
PHL-HKG

Lastly, Philly international should run smoother with all of those AA gates

Reactions: 1 person
With spiraling into mgmt sucks I thought it would be fun to talk about new products and airport synergies.
Do you mean "Without spiraling into mgmt sucks?"

For example - with the number of flights between th following routes should the shuttle become a national product:
I don't understand what you're asking here.

How many airports can AA exit their leases since US has enough gates
Do you mean to say that US already leases sufficient gates to run the couple dozen daily AA MCO flights in addtion to all the US flights? Same with BOS? And MSY? If US has that much extra gate capacity, then no wonder US has the highest mainline CASM (excluding wage expense). US has a higher mainline CASM (ex wages) than AA even before AA's bankruptcy savings. Perhaps US should take another trip thru Ch 11 to rid itself of those surplus obligations. :)

PHX-NRT
PHL-HKG
This one made me laugh out loud. Are you alleging that PHX-NRT would be a moneymaker and that the only reason US is not flying to NRT from Phoenix is the lack of suitable aircraft? That's a good one. :D

PHX-NRT doesn't exist because it wouldn't be profitable due to lack of sufficient O&D. On top of that, there's the heat problem at PHX. For too much of the year, it would have to depart PHX at 2:00 am in order to beat the heat (and to arrive when NRT is open). Either that or it would have to depart PHX at 7:00 am, dooming the flight because no outbound connections would be possible. PHL-HKG? If that made any sense, don't you think the Hong Kong airline (Cathay Pacific) would already be flying it? Again, lack of O&D.

PHL is a Cluster**** because US doesn't have enough gates? And AA has a surplus of gates? Once again, it's a hub that lacks sufficient O&D.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you mean "Without spiraling into mgmt sucks?"

I don't understand what you're asking here.

Do you mean to say that US already leases sufficient gates to run the couple dozen daily MCO flights in addtion to US flights? Same with BOS? And MSY? If US has that much extra gate capacity, then no wonder US has the highest mainline CASM (excluding wage expense). Perhaps US should take another trip thru Ch 11 to rid itself of those surplus obligations.

This one made me laugh out loud. Are you alleging that PHX-NRT would be a moneymaker and that the only reason US is not flying to NRT from Phoenix is the lack of suitable aircraft? That's a good one. :D

PHX-NRT doesn't exist because it wouldn't be profitable due to lack of sufficient O&D. On top of that, there's the heat problem at PHX. For too much of the year, it would have to depart PHX at 2:00 am in order to beat the heat (and to arrive when NRT is open). Either that or it would have to depart PHX at 7:00 am, dooming the flight because no outbound connections would be possible. PHL-HKG? If that made any sense, don't you think the Hong Kong airline (Cathay Pacific) would already be flying it? Again, lack of O&D.

PHL is a Cluster**** because US doesn't have enough gates? And AA has a surplus of gates? Once again, it's a hub that lacks sufficient O&D.
Play Nice...LOL

PHX-NRT
PHL-HKG

Do you actually think PHX-NRT would be a viable route? There's no way. LAX-NRT barely works!

And PHL-HKG is just silly. Neither AA or US has a strong Asian network. So it's going to be all O/D traffic? Yeah right, I am going to fly US Airways HKG-PHL when I could fly HKG-JFK on CX.

FWAA,

You don't read the company news letter do you? From last weeks About US.

Q. With more A330-200s coming on line in 2013-14 and the
B767s staying until 2017, what possible new international
destinations can we look forward to from PHL, CLT and
PHX?
A During State of the Airline, President Scott Kirby explained
that we’re not sure yet because it depends on what’s happening
with fuel prices and the economy He said, “We hope there are
some growth opportunities from PHL, particularly longer haul
destinations like Istanbul, but that depends on fuel, the economy
and what’s happening in the Middle East From CLT we’re
working on Sao Paulo and from PHX we’d like to serve London
Heathrow and possibly Frankfurt or Narita From PHL we’d like
to do Narita and Beijing These are all things that may happen,
but they depend on what happens at a macroeconomic level. Our
aircraft order gives us flexibility, and we can use these aircraft
either as replacement aircraft or to grow into those markets

FWAA,

You don't read the company news letter do you?
No, I don't, because I don't work for US. Kirby's wish list is impressive, but nothing in the newsletter contradicts what I posted. Don't get me wrong - I may not be correct, but the employee newsletter doesn't contradict my post.

Q. With more A330-200s coming on line in 2013-14 and the B767s staying until 2017, what possible new international destinations can we look forward to from PHL, CLT and PHX?
A During State of the Airline, President Scott Kirby explained that we’re not sure yet because it depends on what’s happening with fuel prices and the economy. He said, “We hope there are some growth opportunities from PHL, particularly longer haul destinations like Istanbul, but that depends on fuel, the economy and what’s happening in the Middle East. From CLT we’re working on Sao Paulo and from PHX we’d like to serve London Heathrow and possibly Frankfurt or Narita. From PHL we’d like to do Narita and Beijing. These are all things that may happen, but they depend on what happens at a macroeconomic level. Our aircraft order gives us flexibility, and we can use these aircraft either as replacement aircraft or to grow into those markets.
That's a whole lot of words that don't add up to much commitment. Most airlines order widebody planes with destinations in mind. Sometimes the destinations change over time, but it sounds like US ordered these planes without much of a plan. "Let's order some widebody planes for delivery several years from now and we'll find routes for them by time they get here."

Kirby mentioned IST, NRT and PEK as possible PHL destinations. When US applied for PHL-PEK (and won the award), US said that it would obtain used A340s or other capable aircraft since the A330s don't have the useful range (presumably without significant weight restrictions). The A330s still don't have that much useful range, so those destinations would have to wait on the A350s. IST? That's within range of the A330. Yes, US currently lacks suitable aircraft for these routes, but the ultimate arrival of planes does not mean the routes are economically viable (or potentially profitable or make any sense at all).

From CLT, he mentioned GRU. That makes sense, and is within range of the A330s. Not a whole lot of O&D between CLT and Brasil, but US doesn't have any hubs where the significant O&D occurs, so you have to play the hand you're dealt. Perhaps NYC and WAS traffic to/from Brasil doesn't mind connecting at CLT.

From PHX, he mentioned LHR, FRA and NRT. Assuming all can be flown by A330s (NRT may be a stretch due to the typically hot weather at PHX as I mentioned before), they don't look like home runs. If PHX-NRT was viable and enjoyed sufficient O&D, have to wonder why ANA and JAL have ignored it for so long.

LHR? BA has flown PHX-LHR for quite some time, and if there was demand for another nonstop flight, I'm guessing that BA would have added one.

FRA? If US and AA combine, flights to Star Alliance hubs would probably be in danger and it's doubtful that any new ones would be added. Besides, if it made sense, don't you think that LH would already be flying it? Since US isn't in the joint venture, LH and UA wouldn't have to share any of the profits with US (same as all other TATL flights where US is on the outside looking in) but could count on US to fill it up from that huge PHX hub, right? I can only assume that the failure of UA and LH to fly to FRA from PHX has something to do with its profitability.

From the sound of it, a combination of AA and US would result in an airline with a surplus of widebody planes (at least temporarily) as Tempe figures out where to fly them. The OP made it sound like AA already possessed extra widebody planes that could be used to begin routes that really don't make sense. Yes, US has some widebody planes on the way. Unless their delivery dates are again deferred. But PHL-HKG and PHX-NRT aren't flights that the combined US-AA should begin by pulling AA widebodies off existing flights. PHL-HKG and PHX-NRT are unlikely to ever exist.

FWAA,

Q. With more A330-200s coming on line in 2013-14 and the
B767s staying until 2017, what possible new international
destinations can we look forward to from PHL, CLT and
PHX?
A During State of the Airline, President Scott Kirby explained
that we’re not sure yet because it depends on what’s happening
with fuel prices and the economy He said, “We hope there are
some growth opportunities from PHL, particularly longer haul
destinations like Istanbul, but that depends on fuel, the economy
and what’s happening in the Middle East From CLT we’re
working on Sao Paulo and from PHX we’d like to serve London
Heathrow and possibly Frankfurt or Narita From PHL we’d like
to do Narita and Beijing These are all things that may happen,
but they depend on what happens at a macroeconomic level. Our
aircraft order gives us flexibility, and we can use these aircraft
either as replacement aircraft or to grow into those markets

Here's more from other sources:

http://www.philly.co...ernational.html

Further if AA and US merge, JFK is heavily restricted during reasonable arrival/departure slot times. Even with AAs current allocation, it'd be surprising to see a reduction in the highly lucrative/profitable JFK-LHR routes in favor of adding flights to Asia - which require domestic connections for year round viability. IMO, PHL will continue to be a major AA international gateway, with a domestic emphasis on international connections. CLT on the other hand is the big ?. If I had to guess, I'd see CLT being reduced significantly in favor of MIA - which has a new terminal and lot's of room for growth. CLT could become another RDU, feeding smaller NE/Southern communities to the (new) AA network and a single LHR flight. I would really be surprised if CLT retained any South American routes. The 330-200 aircraft scheduled for delivery in the next 2 years, could do PHL-IST with no problem (closer than TLV); at MTOW/MZFW, PHL-NRT/PEK would likely need some restrictions. PHX is lilkely not doable without unacceptable day time takeoff weight restrictions. The A350-900 would easily do any of those routes. A fairly big difference between the A332 and the A350-900 is the flexibility in profitability tradeoffs.The A332 has about 15% less (weight) capacity than the A350 (a very Gross performance comparison) and 20% less passenger revenue potential; consequently it can take far less of a restriction hit before route profitability becomes unacceptable.
FWAA,

It always amazes me when reading this board how little some understand the airline industry and the goals of their own company - assuming they are employees.

My bad I meant without

Although the good news is it only took one post to make fun of another poster

Latest posts