It's Make Or Break Week For Us Airways

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Airline, labor leaders to tackle cost-saving strategies
TED REED
Staff Writer

The next six days could determine whether US Airways flies or dies.

A week of crucial meetings with labor leaders will culminate with the service debut of low-fare leader Southwest Airlines at US Airways' Philadelphia hub on Sunday.

For US Airways, "this week is like the triple witching hour," said Dan Kasper, managing director of Cambridge, Mass., consulting firm LECG.

The rollout of the airline's survival plan begins today, when airline executives meet with newly named negotiators for the powerful pilots' union at the carrier's Arlington, Va., headquarters.

On Wednesday, executives hold a regularly scheduled monthly meeting with leaders from all the unions. On Thursday, they meet with flight attendant leaders. On Friday, they meet with leaders of the gate and ticket agents.

Today also marks the third and last day of an arbitration hearing on whether the carrier's contract with mechanics allows US Airways to contract out heavy maintenance on its new Airbus jets.

The carrier, which has its largest hub in Charlotte, faces increasing low-fare competition from Southwest and others.

To survive, it must wrest more cuts from labor. It has to slash costs by about $1.5 billion, much of that from workers, who have already made $1 million in cuts in two previous rounds of concessions.

Consider: Today, US Airways' highest one-way fare between Philadelphia and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is $740. Starting Sunday, when US Airways will be forced to match Southwest's fare, the highest coach fare will be $379. Somebody has to make up the lost revenue.

Analysts say US Airways workers, most of whom are middle-aged, are likely to accept concessions because their job prospects elsewhere are limited. US Airways has 28,278 employees, including 5,736 in Charlotte.

"After two rounds of concessions, I'm not sure anybody has a lot to give," said analyst Helane Becker of Benchmark Capital. "But if it doesn't happen, the airline will surely fail. So I don't think there's much of a choice."

US Airways' labor chiefs, except for pilot leaders, have so far been nearly unanimous in indicating their reluctance to discuss more cuts.

Bill Pollock, chairman of the US Airways chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, said pilots are committed to saving the carrier, but not by themselves. "Everybody will have to be in this together," he said. "Nobody should be expected to carry anybody else's share."

Pilots typically account for about 40 percent of an airline's labor costs. At US Airways, an average captain earns about $150,000 annually.

The International Association of Machinists says it has no intention of reopening its contracts, which cover both mechanics and fleet service workers, whose work includes baggage handling.

Talks with the mechanics could be the biggest barrier to an airline-wide settlement, observers say. "Mechanics are highly trained, they have a big responsibility, and they have a transferable skill," Becker said. "It will be tough."

Other unions have agreed to talk, but leaders have said they don't see any room for more cuts.

Steve Hearn, president of the Charlotte local of the Association of Flight Attendants, said he expects that at Thursday's meeting, the company "will lay it on the table and say we have to have this and we're going to get it one way or the other, with your cooperation or without it."

Hearn said it's too soon to say how the flight attendants will respond. Top pay for average flight attendants is about $39,000 annually.

Time is short because the terms of US Airways' $726 million in federal loan guarantees require that the carrier reduce its losses this year and make a profit in 2005.

On a conference call with analysts last week, newly installed chief executive Bruce Lakefield wouldn't divulge the carrier's internal cost-cutting timeline. But he noted that given the covenants, "If you put two and two together, we have to do it sooner rather than later."

US Airways' struggles reflect a transition that is under way throughout the airline industry. In 2001, established hub carriers hit the skids because of a slowing economy, the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and an increased demand for low-fare travel.

The combination pushed US Airways into bankruptcy court. It emerged in March 2003, after cutting annual costs by $1.9 billion. Kasper said the cuts were steep, but US Airways started with the industry's highest costs.

"The other guys have been cutting, too," he said. "So despite all the pain, they haven't gained much."

Bill Pollock

Pollock, chairman of the US Airways chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, said pilots are committed to saving the carrier, but not by themselves. "Everybody will have to be in this together," he said. "Nobody should be expected to carry anybody else's share."

700UW said:
To survive, it must wrest more cuts from labor. It has to slash costs by about $1.5 billion, much of that from workers, who have already made $1 million in cuts in two previous rounds of concessions.
I believe this is a typo, since employees have given $1.2 billion a year.

700UW said:
I believe this is a typo, since employees have given $1.2 billion a year.
Ted Reed doesnt get it right often but you cant get more plain and simple than this. Regardless of who is rt or wrong, theres no doubting we have to ante up once again. !

One thought comes to mind......BOHICA :ph34r:

Either way we get beat. If the CEO doesn't get concessions voluntarily then another trip to bankruptcy is likely. See you in court.

It was good while it lasted....For those about to die......Salute you!!

I have been following these boards for a while but I have finally decided to speak up. The way things are going, our dear company, is going to be out of business in the very near future. I can certainly act like an ostrich (burry my head in to the sand) and block what is now becoming very obvious but I refuse to do that. There is a very slim chance of saving this company but that involves some very tough choices for all of us.

One more time people...

From the article:

Holly Hegeman - Plane Business Banter
“Reprinted with Permission of PlaneBusinessâ€￾ www.planebusiness.com
November 19, 2003

"Through the bankruptcy process, US Airways restructured their labor agreements to a point where they now enjoy a labor cost advantage to Southwest Airlines.

The increased productivity from renegotiated labor contracts with their mechanics now provides US Airways a maintenance cost advantage to Southwest Airlines as well."

THEY'RE UTTERLY CRAZY -- NO MORE FROM ME!!!

This article is a great example of how every one reads it differently. We are all affected by our surroundings and our own interests. The magic is not to cut and paste a "portion" of the article that supports our stance but rather to look at it in it's entirety. The bottom line is that we CAN NOT survive with the current revenue and cost.

I, and the people whom I work with, believe that if management simply ran the company, CASMs would be at least 25% lower, and that we would be making money.

That forces us to conclude that since the upper management has decided it is more important to reduce our wages, rather than to run a gainful company, that the continued push for more concessions must simply be class warfare. We, the union employees, have no intention of agreeing to a wage that is practically the same as unemployment benefits. (Or in some cases less).

If upper management feels that breaking the living wage of its employees is more important than running a business, and paying back the nice people who loaned us money to keep it running, then they have the power to make that decision.

We only have the power to resist our economic rape, not our economic murder. (Yes, I know it's our economic duty to the fiduciary god to lie down and co-operate). Some believe that being raped is better than being killed. We, being given a choice, have chosen to die, and resurrect our economic lives from where we are at, here.

E-TRONS
Posted on May 4 2004, 08:17 AM

It was good while it lasted....For those about to die......Salute you!!
Salute management? Good God man. Let's try this:

We who are about to die.... moon you!

Part of our problem is that we fly to too many cities that cost too much to do business. How much is the terminal rent and landing fees in places like BOS, LGA, DCA. We fly to just about every little airport in the northeast where the cost are high and not to enough less costly places to do business. RJs are not the answer, they help but hurt more than they help. Look at MKE fo an example. We go from full 737-300/400 to weight restricted RJs. Every day in the winter they are all full. Last month MKE set record boardings this is from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal newspaper. I hate to quote Mr. Wolf but you can't shrink into profitabilty. We have all these RJs coming on line and replacing flying out of PIT, where are the a/c going? Does anyone have a clue. We need to add cities west of the Mississippi. We already have things jamed up east of the Mississippi lets jam things up west of the Mississippi.

repeet said:
That forces us to conclude that since the upper management has decided it is more important to reduce our wages, rather than to run a gainful company, that the continued push for more concessions must simply be class warfare. We, the union employees, have no intention of agreeing to a wage that is practically the same as unemployment benefits. (Or in some cases less).

If upper management feels that breaking the living wage of its employees is more important than running a business
I worked for a company, that refused to negoiate a living wage with its pilots. One of the copilots took it upon himself to apply for welfare benifits for himself, wife and two kids. The kicker here was that he showed up in his uniform at the welfare office with a television crew in tow. It was all over the news and it didn't take long for the company to realize that management has to put out to get the company on stable ground.

MR AIRPORT said:
Part of our problem is that we fly to too many cities that cost too much to do business.

We already have things jamed up east of the Mississippi lets jam things up west of the Mississippi.
These sentences off set each other don't they? Do you want to go down faster? Bottom line is you need to get your house in order. When US came out of BK they had a plan, but the industry changed (for the worse) a lot faster than anyone dreamed of. Your management has to think out of the box and not just try and take it out of the hides os the employees. The employees are the ones who deal with the customers, and the customers are the ones who pay the bills. If the employees are pizzed off, it reflects on the customers and they in turn look for other travel options. It's a viscous cicrle, but it can be overcome, just look at CO. They were in this same boat and now they are one of they best airline around.

You are right it is the employees who deal directly with the customers. I just did a trip that went in and out of MCO 7 times, between either PHL, CLT or PIT. Absolutely full 757's every leg. Most segments had at least 30 children on board. Everyone was great. Could not believe how good all the kids were and how content everyone seemed to be. We got lots of Kudos on all deplaning. It was fun and pleasant and we were 4 reserves who have been really punched in the stomach by the Company, but we still gave our all. Not one incident and NOT one unhappy passenger. It was great. The only down fall was the front end crew who didn't give a #### about informing us on turbulance and consequently knocked us 4 to the ground. I had 3 passengers who were ready to jump out of their seats just to help me. All in all U flies pretty wonderful people. I just wished the Management realized that it's passengers and it's employees go hand in hand. :(

repeet,

Well said, sir!

Exactly so.

If management succeeds in the next giveback (and makes it stick for the next decade), it will make economic sense for most of IAM, AFA and CWA to find jobs elsewhere.

aerosmith said:
Blah blah blah, I'm middle aged and I'd rather take the street than give this company one more dime!!!
Thats a very brave and wise choice. My hats off to you. Good luck in your future!

Latest posts

Back