Its official - US joins other carriers in the twilight zone

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/18/2003 9:59:17 AM PITbull wrote:

Uh, sorry, you'll have to pay for it.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Did I miss something here? Do all the other carriers in this type of market have free meals?

They are looking for the Customers responses. It’s apparent that if the industry is going this way most on this board would complain if we didn’t do it. We are giving them a choice here that they don’t have right now. What are your suggestions ?

From March 19-31, 2003, US Airways customers traveling in Coach Class on nonstop flights between Pittsburgh and Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Kansas City, Mo., Nashville, Tenn., and New Orleans, will have the opportunity to purchase restaurant-quality deli meals onboard flights where meal service currently is not offered……..

"We see the industry moving in the direction of programs like In-flight Cafe, giving customers more choice on flights where meals are not served," said B. Ben Baldanza, US Airways senior vice president of marketing and planning. "We look forward to customers' response to this initiative."

"We're delighted to participate in this evaluation of the In-flight Cafe program with a forward-thinking partner like US Airways," said Stephan Egli, global senior vice president of marketing for LSG Sky Chefs. "Our research indicates that nearly three-fourths of travelers want an option if other meals are not available, and we're confident that US Airways passengers will be pleased with the high quality and convenience of these In-flight Cafe meals."

Uh, sorry, you'll have to pay for it.

Hey, its a fine idea.

Since the industry is "reinventing itself", and eminities are no longer "all inclusive"...

there's this lost concept of "tipping".

All i'm saying is...instead of "making change" can we "keep the change"?

----------------
On 3/18/2003 12:56:46 PM Light Years wrote:

I wonder what the company sees as successful with the surveys. Of course there will be a positive reaction on these "test" flights that havent traditionally had meals. They will want to start using them on traditional "meal" flights like transcons, which I think will have a very negative reaction from customers, especially if there is competition still serving complimentary food in those markets.
----------------

Not if we start making "buckeroonies" by selling this stuff. Especially, if the food is good. All airlines will be running to do the same; as you see, they are all running to get into BK protection, as well. Same plan, same time, same station. These are new realities and those who want this type of treat will have to shell out a few extra dollars. Keep in mind, if fuel prices really soar (hopefully we hedged) all airlines will have to reinvent ways to stay in business. I know that's difficult for pax who have always had the meal whether they wanted it or not; but same with employees, that use to have a better wage and paid benefits, had to reinvent ways to stay in business. As our CEO has told us repeatedly...these are the "new realities".

I wonder what the company sees as successful with the surveys. Of course there will be a positive reaction on these "test" flights that havent traditionally had meals. They will want to start using them on traditional "meal" flights like transcons, which I think will have a very negative reaction from customers, especially if there is competition still serving complimentary food in those markets.

----------------
On 3/18/2003 1:33:30 PM justanadd wrote:

I will tell you that at NWA it was very successful as it is the catering company that is selling the food not NWA. We are not permitted to use this food as service recovery. They did put comps on for the crew to help market it by us being able to taste the meals. I think this will become the norm. Sure there will be complaints but those will fade as the industry goes this route.
----------------

We, too, are in a collaboration with a catering company, but its for profit; not for a catering company to just provide it and make the money. We are in this new initiative to profit and stay in business.[img

I will tell you that at NWA it was very successful as it is the catering company that is selling the food not NWA. We are not permitted to use this food as service recovery. They did put comps on for the crew to help market it by us being able to taste the meals. I think this will become the norm. Sure there will be complaints but those will fade as the industry goes this route.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/18/2003 1:40:22 PM PITbull wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]
We, too, are in a collaboration with a catering company, but its for profit; not for a catering company to just provide it and make the money. We are in this new initiative to profit and stay in business.
----------------
[/blockquote]

My point was that the test was at no cost to NWA. Although I am sure NWA plans to profit if it expands. NWA is well known for exiting unprofitable markets so I am sure they will only continue if it is profitable. They have been a leader in cost cutting. We no longer sell transatlantic duty free as it is more profitable to eliminate it rather than keep the extra fa needed to sell it. Dc-10's now operate with 6 fas rather than the old 8/9.