JetBlue concedes on flight slots

----------------
On 8/31/2002 10:47:36 PM

From everything I have seen, heard and read. LGB is doing much better then expected. This is evident by the fact that the loads are high and the frequency to LAX has not changed. No need to question the economics of the 757-200.
----------------

I've heard anecdotal evidence both ways. From you and a few others at AA, mostly on these message boards, it's going gangbusters. From people working at LGB, I hear you guys often leave with 30-50 pax on board. However, I'll take your word for it that LGB is doing well. I'm happy for you (really).

Even if you're full, are you making money, or are you content to lose money in exchange for market share and to be a thorn in JBLU's side?

----------------
On 8/31/2002 7:24:13 PM

Now of course the 64K question? Is AA making money in LGB, seeing that they are matching JBLU fares? Are they drawing their own pax away from higher yeild LAX?

----------------

AA just needs to break even on these routes. Clearly LGB is going to be JB's domain and LAX will be AA's. But AA does need to have a presence in LGB. It simply cannot surrender all the LGB passengers over to a competitor.