JetBlue gets a little pro-active to get approval for merger with Spirit

Glad to see this. An appeal is in order to follow the agreement, between JB and Spirit, as they need to exercise any and all avenues prior to paying that breakup fee in the contract. I still say JB would be overpaying by a large margin though.
By appealing, maybe Spirit and JB can sell it to another Judge by explaining that Spirit would go away by liquidation if merger not approved, so either way, Spirit would go away. So why not allow the merger and save jobs and people from heartaches and personal BK's? I hope they are successful with the appeal this time around.
JB Mechanics and other non-union groups, you may want to get represented prior to any appeal getting blessed. I know you guys already have a majority of AMFA signed cards, keep those coming in as that would be the quickest way to get represented by a Mechanics Class and Craft Union instead of the flooded industrial unions with all the other NON-class and craft groups being the majority represented. Spirit Mechanics are already represented, so get pro-active and let your voices be heard by getting represented. And, of course it would go so much smoother if both sides were represented by the same union, as AMFA has language for a smooth transition when AMFA represents both carrier Mechanics groups.

IMG_9782.jpeg

The roller coaster ride continues. Make up your mind JetBlue and Spirit, mostly JB though.

An appeal isn’t one Judge. It’s a panel of three and it could go to the full panel of Judges.

Learn the process and learn paragraphs
True, but he's right in principle -- the logic behind the initial ruling will get a second review initially by three other judges, and if two of the three are convinced otherwise, it's reversed.

That might be a tall hurdle. JetBlue's comments in the last 24 hours indicate they might not push too hard on the appeal. With a new CEO and the shakeup that's bound to follow, it doesn't surprise me if they've re-thought things internally.

In retrospect, they probably had a better chance appealing the AA-B6 alliance, but put all the chips on yellow.

True, but he's right in principle -- the logic behind the initial ruling will get a second review initially by three other judges, and if two of the three are convinced otherwise, it's reversed.

That might be a tall hurdle. JetBlue's comments in the last 24 hours indicate they might not push too hard on the appeal. With a new CEO and the shakeup that's bound to follow, it doesn't surprise me if they've re-thought things internally.

In retrospect, they probably had a better chance appealing the AA-B6 alliance, but put all the chips on yellow.
Yes a second review could very well go their way, however, like you said, there does seem to be some pullback now, and yes, it may have to do with new CEO and a different outlook, and maybe saw that they were paying too much? IDK, just thinking out loud.
E., any thoughts on Frontier looking at Spirit again?? Maybe with these two hooking up they could still keep the ULCC title and make a merger happen??? Never know now days.

Kev, when you say Early Outs, I assume you mean retirement buy outs? Spirit or JB is offering the Early Outs??
An early out isn’t necessarily a retirement buyout. If you aren’t old enough you can’t collect retirement benefits.

A simple Google search would have answered your questions. Instead of asking someone who works for Delta and not JetBlue.

An early out isn’t necessarily a retirement buyout. If you aren’t old enough you can’t collect retirement benefits.

Depends -- you're thinking of legacy benefits. You can't draw a 401K or pension until 59.5 and 55 respectively, but there's nothing that says you can't offer retiree travel at any age. And I don't think anyone offers retiree healthcare at this point, certainly not newer airlines like JetBlue or Spirit.

Maybe industry and interline discounts wouldn't apply until 55 or 60, but there's plenty of precedent to offer online travel.

I know AA had a flight attendant early out for FA's with 20 years of service and no age requirement. I believe retiree travel at Continental and United was awarded when years of service plus age equaled 65, so someone with at age 43 with 22 years of service could qualify.

Last edited:
…but there's nothing that says you can't offer retiree travel at any age.

Exactly. B6 has what they call a “rule of 55” (age + years of svc. must be equal to/greater than 55, with a minimum of 10 years) for lifetime NRSA travel, but everyone else can keep their travel benefits for a fixed amount of time.

Depends -- you're thinking of legacy benefits. You can't draw a 401K or pension until 59.5 and 55 respectively, but there's nothing that says you can't offer retiree travel at any age. And I don't think anyone offers retiree healthcare at this point, certainly not newer airlines like JetBlue or Spirit.

Maybe industry and interline discounts wouldn't apply until 55 or 60, but there's plenty of precedent to offer online travel.

I know AA had a flight attendant early out for FA's with 20 years of service and no age requirement. I believe retiree travel at Continental and United was awarded when years of service plus age equaled 65, so someone with at age 43 with 22 years of service could qualify.
Yes, E. We have the same packages you refer to. Anyone can retire whenever they want, however, in our case there are some other regs to follow in order to get the retiree healthcare, either from as early as 55 or 58 (going by memory here) and up to 60 years old. By following the regs, surrounding early retirement, work hours and allotted sick time saved, can sell back sick time to carry the retiree healthcare up to age 65 when eligible for Medicare. Not sure if all airlines offer or have this too, but i would think so. Also have no clue if JB or Spirit has it either.
Nice way to go a little earlier than waiting for medical coverage. And of course anyone can leave even earlier and pay for their own healthcare, private or bamma care.

Exactly. B6 has what they call a “rule of 55” (age + years of svc. must be equal to/greater than 55, with a minimum of 10 years) for lifetime NRSA travel, but everyone else can keep their travel benefits for a fixed amount of time.
Very good. I think all airlines should have some sort of an incentive for early retirements to help with the cost of the older employees. I hope some JB employees are able to do it.
Also hoping my airline would entertain one more buyout here soon, as many would take it again like last time.
Thanks for the info Kev. Not hardly any JB mechs like posting about their airline, and maybe they are restricted to do so, not sure.