Jfk Operations During Power Outage

upsilon

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Wow!. Just read on another board that JetBlue managed to get out 246 JFK flights during the power outage and cancelled only 22 flights.

How did B6 do it?

The day OF the power outage... there were only 2 flights cancelled. The following day a few more were cancelled in the aftermath of it all..........

BlueFlyer21

Operations Return to Normal

By Sunday mid-day, all American and Eagle operations had returned to normal. Over the weekend, you may have heard media reports mentioning that, according to JetBlue sources, that airline cancelled "only 22 of a scheduled 268 flights" while AA cancelled more than 500 flights.

That's true. However, JetBlue's "22 of a scheduled 268 flights" works out to 8.2 percent of their schedule, while American's approximately 520 cancellations of more than 6,600 flights works out to less than 7.8 percent of flights scheduled.

Yes, but comparing AA's system-wide cancellations to JetBlue's JFK operations alone is not exactly fair, either. As far as I know, American's major hubs (DFW, ORD, MIA, STL, LAX, SJU) had power the whole time, so this is like comparing apples and oranges. For an accurate comparison, you'd have to look at what percentage of AA's JFK flights were canceled.

But I really don't think JetBlue was trying to put down AA or anyone else. Let's just say that both airlines did a good job under difficult circumstances.

AAG200 Wrote:

"Yes, but comparing AA's system-wide cancellations to JetBlue's JFK operations alone is not exactly fair, either. As far as I know, American's major hubs (DFW, ORD, MIA, STL, LAX, SJU) had power the whole time, so this is like comparing apples and oranges. For an accurate comparison, you'd have to look at what percentage of AA's JFK flights were canceled."

Actually AAG200 you do have to look at the whole sytems operation. Where do you think some of the flights departing from say ORD or MIA where heading to? Not to mention the ripple effect on the system (aircraft stuck in the power outage cites cannot be utilized down the line). Also Jetblue's major hub is JFK. AA flies out of JFK, LGA and EWR just in the NYC metro area alone. But I do agree with you that both airlines did a great jub considering the situation. :D

Of course there is a ripple effect, but that's not the point. If you read carefully, JetBlue provided its numbers (22 out of 268) for JFK only, so it's only fair that AA do the same. Or, at the very least, its numbers for the NYC airports combined. As you correctly pointed out, the vast majority of JetBlue's operations are to or from JFK--which was directly affected by the blackout. So, if you were to compare JetBlue's system-wide cancellations to AA's, then the disparity may very well be even more striking, since JetBlue's system had proportionally more exposure to the blackout.

IF JB has 268 flts a day out of JFK, how many flights a day do they have system wide?

Latest posts

Back