March 08, 2012

By Email and USPS Certified Mail

Linda Puchala, Chairman
Elizabeth Dougherty, Member
Harry Hoglander, Member
National Mediation Board
1301 K Street, N.W., Suite 205E
Washington, D. C. 20005-7011

Re: American Airlines and Transport Workers Union of America AFL-CIO Seven Contract Groups

Dear Chairman Puchala and Members Dougherty and Hoglander:

I write on behalf of the Transport Workers Union of America (“TWU”), the certified representative for more than 24,000(soon to be 11000) bargaining unit employees employed at American Airlines. The TWU appreciates the active participation by the National Mediation Board (“NMB”) in the ongoing seven negotiations between TWU and American pursuant to Section 6, of the Railway Labor Act (“RLA”), 45 U.S.C. § 156.

In that context, I write to request that the NMB now proffer final and binding arbitration to the parties under Section 7 of the Railway Labor Act (“RLA”), 45 U.S.C. § 157, First to resolve all the issues currently subject to the Section 6 process.(The twu could not negotiate its way out of a wet paper bag) To be perfectly clear, TWU requests that the NMB take this action not as its “final required action”( This is a lie folks) under Section 5, 45 U.S.C. § 155, First, but as an appropriate part of its efforts to reach quick resolution of these seven collective bargaining disputes during American’s re-organization in bankruptcy. If the NMB proffers such arbitration now, TWU will accept it subject to compliance with our internal governance procedures.

The twu is rolling over like a small dog begging the NMB to scratch its belly in a sooting manner and absolve themselves of any responsability for the agreement that is going to get shoved down our throats. I wonder. With the company backing off the dumping of the pensions is this their deal . Get Jimmy and his merry band of reprobates to beg the NMb for binding arbitration?

As you know the Transport Workers Union (TWU) and AMR have been involved in collective bargaining(sellout), spanning seven (AA) contract groups since June of 2006 to present – including those sessions convened after the bankruptcy filing on November 29, 2011. All efforts to reach voluntary agreements through direct negotiations were exhausted, including facilitated and self imposed “super session” techniques.

TWU filings for Mediation Services straddled the period from April 2008 through January 2009. Once invoked, the parties continued under the direction of your staff, observing “recess sessions” and additional “power or extreme” term sittings, in an effort to produce amicably acceptable terms.

Since 2003, the TWU has promoted and engaged in an open cooperative working (groveling) relationship with AMR, willingly (selling out the membership)participating in financial briefings and strategic initiatives all with the mutual goal of producing stronger results and outcomes(maintaing Jim Littles 1/4 million dollar a year salary). At the time of the Airline filing for bankruptcy, we had two tentative agreements out for membership ratification (Fleet Service and Flight Dispatch) which were rescinded by the carrier

Although TWU has and will continue to exert(lick) every reasonable(boot in an ) effort to reach consensual agreements with AA, we believe that the Section 7 process would offer the advantages of a final and expeditious resolution of the current dispute to enable the quick and successful re-organization of the carrier in bankruptcy. A panel of experienced labor arbitrators is best positioned to weigh the merits of the parties’ negotiating positions and proposals, and to craft a binding settlement. As stated above, TWU stands willing to agree to such Section 7 final and binding arbitration, subject to compliance with our internal governance procedures, and requests a prompt proffer by the NMB.

Respectfully submitted,

James C. Little
International President

Here it is folks the game is up. What you really need to understand is that without the twu headcount from AA little will loose political influence within the twu and the people from southwest airlines and local 100 will finally have their oppurtunity to take over the international. Not only is jim little actively trying to sell out the membership by offering up a 40% osm rate at Tulsa, which by the way will be coming from laid off mechanics at the topeed out rate of osm not mechanics. Hope you like the 33% pay cut .Jim little is fighting for his political futureand control of the twu.

Is binding arbitration still an option under Bankruptcy?

Binding arbitration is giving up. So there goes the "Fight like Hell motto".
Maybe saving the pensions was Jim Littles Hell Fighting item. The rest is business as usual.

The unions are asking for binding arbitration because it can only IMPROVE our situation. Currently the 1113 ask sheet the company put out is what you WILL get, they have shown they are not willing to back off it. The binding arbitration MIGHT be an improvement, but definitely CAN'T be any worse. ;)

Yep, agreed. I go back and forth on whether the company will agree to it for that very reason. Their opinion has to be that they have nothing to gain by agreeing to it. Unless of course they place a value on POSSIBLY creating goodwill among the employees that will still have jobs since the terms will be imposed by a third party.
Of course the best question would have to be "What do the consultants reccommend?" And that depends on which decisions make them the most money.
My money is on the company refusing to agree to BA.

The unions are asking for binding arbitration because it can only IMPROVE our situation. Currently the 1113 ask sheet the company put out is what you WILL get, they have shown they are not willing to back off it. The binding arbitration MIGHT be an improvement, but definitely CAN'T be any worse. ;)

I bet you are wrong and a consensual agreement that is much BETTER than the term sheet is obtained and voted in by the membership.

everything in italics is mine and mine alone

Letter from Jim C. Little to the National Mediation Board

March 08, 2012

By Email and USPS Certified Mail

Linda Puchala, Chairman
Elizabeth Dougherty, Member
Harry Hoglander, Member
National Mediation Board
1301 K Street, N.W., Suite 205E
Washington, D. C. 20005-7011

Re: American Airlines and Transport Workers Union of America AFL-CIO Seven Contract Groups

Dear Chairman Puchala and Members Dougherty and Hoglander:

I write on behalf of the Transport Workers Union of America (“TWU”), the certified representative for more than 24,000(soon to be 11000) bargaining unit employees employed at American Airlines. The TWU appreciates the active participation by the National Mediation Board (“NMB”) in the ongoing seven negotiations between TWU and American pursuant to Section 6, of the Railway Labor Act (“RLA”), 45 U.S.C. § 156.

In that context, I write to request that the NMB now proffer final and binding arbitration to the parties under Section 7 of the Railway Labor Act (“RLA”), 45 U.S.C. § 157, First to resolve all the issues currently subject to the Section 6 process.(The twu could not negotiate its way out of a wet paper bag) To be perfectly clear, TWU requests that the NMB take this action not as its “final required action”( This is a lie folks) under Section 5, 45 U.S.C. § 155, First, but as an appropriate part of its efforts to reach quick resolution of these seven collective bargaining disputes during American’s re-organization in bankruptcy. If the NMB proffers such arbitration now, TWU will accept it subject to compliance with our internal governance procedures.

The twu is rolling over like a small dog begging the NMB to scratch its belly in a sooting manner and absolve themselves of any responsability for the agreement that is going to get shoved down our throats. I wonder. With the company backing off the dumping of the pensions is this their deal . Get Jimmy and his merry band of reprobates to beg the NMb for binding arbitration?

As you know the Transport Workers Union (TWU) and AMR have been involved in collective bargaining(sellout), spanning seven (AA) contract groups since June of 2006 to present – including those sessions convened after the bankruptcy filing on November 29, 2011. All efforts to reach voluntary agreements through direct negotiations were exhausted, including facilitated and self imposed “super session” techniques.

TWU filings for Mediation Services straddled the period from April 2008 through January 2009. Once invoked, the parties continued under the direction of your staff, observing “recess sessions” and additional “power or extreme” term sittings, in an effort to produce amicably acceptable terms.

Since 2003, the TWU has promoted and engaged in an open cooperative working (groveling) relationship with AMR, willingly (selling out the membership)participating in financial briefings and strategic initiatives all with the mutual goal of producing stronger results and outcomes(maintaing Jim Littles 1/4 million dollar a year salary). At the time of the Airline filing for bankruptcy, we had two tentative agreements out for membership ratification (Fleet Service and Flight Dispatch) which were rescinded by the carrier

Although TWU has and will continue to exert(lick) every reasonable(boot in an ) effort to reach consensual agreements with AA, we believe that the Section 7 process would offer the advantages of a final and expeditious resolution of the current dispute to enable the quick and successful re-organization of the carrier in bankruptcy. A panel of experienced labor arbitrators is best positioned to weigh the merits of the parties’ negotiating positions and proposals, and to craft a binding settlement. As stated above, TWU stands willing to agree to such Section 7 final and binding arbitration, subject to compliance with our internal governance procedures, and requests a prompt proffer by the NMB.

Respectfully submitted,

James C. Little
International President

Here it is folks the game is up. What you really need to understand is that without the twu headcount from AA little will loose political influence within the twu and the people from southwest airlines and local 100 will finally have their oppurtunity to take over the international. Not only is jim little actively trying to sell out the membership by offering up a 40% osm rate at Tulsa, which by the way will be coming from laid off mechanics at the topeed out rate of osm not mechanics. Hope you like the 33% pay cut .Jim little is fighting for his political futureand control of the twu.
you missed something! please insert "since 1958 to present"

Unless of course they place a value on POSSIBLY creating goodwill among the employees that will still have jobs since the terms will be imposed by a third party.

My money is on the company refusing to agree to BA.

Place a value on creating goodwill among the employees? How precious! I find that level of naivete refreshing in someone your age. :lol: I think the company proved some time ago, that they see no value in employee goodwill.

P.S. Your money is in the right place. With binding arbitration (which by the way does not get to get voted on by you or anyone else...that's why it's called binding) the company runs the risk that the arbitrator might in fact give the employees a better deal than what the term sheets offer. Why should the company risk that? It might cut into the executive bonusses due for getting us back out of bk. We can't have that, now can we?

This asking for help is just to cover Little Jimmy and his merry band of reprobates rears. We are gonna get hosed. Now they can come back and say"Dont blame us we asked the NMB for help, it was the judge and the company that screwed you not us. But again this is all just acover to limit their exposure for their failures.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts