Job Cuts

usa1

Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123430671597970203.html

US Airways Group Inc., anticipating flying fewer seats this spring and summer, said it plans to trim 233 airport positions at 10 airports it serves, including Las Vegas, Pittsburgh and Tucson, Ariz. That is about 1.9% of its 12,400 airport employees.

Doug Parker, chief executive officer of the Tempe, Ariz., carrier, said in a memo that affected workers will be offered opportunities to work at other airports in the carrier's network. Those who choose not to move will be eligible for severance pay, according to their labor contracts, he said.

Like its competitors, US Airways has been cutting capacity to try to keep ticket prices firm in the face of reduced travel demand, the recession and rising unemployment. Mr. Parker said loss of service contracts with other airlines and decreasing attrition rates also contributed to the decision to reduce airport jobs.

All TUS employees were told today that the entire station is being outsourced to express. Im assume that would be Mesa? What happened in TUS was that US lost their long time CO ground handling contract. CO is eliminating 737's into TUS and going all ERJ's to IAH' so they will be having ExpressJet employees handling all of their TUS ops. CO had been paying US/HP enough money over the years to subsidize having US mainline employees do the ramp work even though US has had very few mainline jets themselves into TUS over the last few years. I wish all the TUS employees the best of luck...I know a lot of them' and most are way too young to retire' but have too much time and seniority to just quit.

I swear, just when you think (hope) that the cuts are over something happens and more people hit the street. Good luck to everyone affected.

Jim

hey lynard . i see your lurking these boards. hope your well. and yes it sucks about these job cuts.

Not being the mathematician that PB is, can anyone pencil out what the actual numbers are at each station.

Thanks

Not sure about the other 9 stations, but the numbers in PIT are not pretty. From what was publicly released today, PIT is losing the following:

49 ramp/fleet service employees

8 gate/CWA represented employees

In January 2008, PIT started the year with 89 flights per day on weekdays, and as of March 1, 2009, they will have 51 flights per day. That is the stated reason for the employee cutbacks.

There will be some transfers to other cities for those affected by the furloughs, and there will be some who have had enough and will throw in the towel. It remains to be seen what will happen to PIT beyond June 2009, because that was left up in the air today in a meeting with America West HR representatives and US Airways employees.

According to this article the cuts will be in Salt Lake, Las Vegas; Pittsburgh; Los Angeles; Miami; Austin, Texas; Columbus, Ohio; and Oakland and San Jose, Calif.

Someone mentioned TUS being transferred to Express - don't know why it's not on the list in the article.

Jim

PS - TUS is on the list in this article

For ramp only layoffs

AUS 3ft, 1pt
CMH 7ft, 5pt
LAS 24ft, 16pt
LAX 4ft, 3pt
MIA 2ft, 1pt
OAK 5ft, 4pt
PIT 35ft, 14pt
SJC 4ft, 1pt
SLC 5pt
TUS 25ft, 14pt

For ramp only layoffs

AUS 3ft, 1pt
CMH 7ft, 5pt
LAS 24ft, 16pt
LAX 4ft, 3pt
MIA 2ft, 1pt
OAK 5ft, 4pt
PIT 35ft, 14pt
SJC 4ft, 1pt
SLC 5pt
TUS 25ft, 14pt

Atleast the TUS/LAS employees will be afforded the opportunity to commute to PHX to work if it comes to that.
I guess with the upcoming downsizing we won't be seeing hiring out East for a while.

Does anyone know how many FT/PT mainline ramp workers PIT has now? Also has anyone heard if they are getting rid of any RON A/C in PIT? Lastly Does anyone have any idea of what the mainline FLT totals will be now? Thanks Ed

Fleet wise I think we are at 353 or 354 and that should stay steady with about 23 aircraft coming and going this year

TUS is currently all Express' with about 9 daily flights to PHX. Most of the flights are flown with CRJ-900's. The ramp is being outsourced for sure' however somebody said that the counter/gates will remain mainline employees' then others say that Mesa employees will take over the entire station? There are 25FT and 14PT rampers at TUS which equals 39' however the local papers are quoting a US spokesperson that approx 65-70 local TUS employees will be effected by the outsourcing...so maybe the agents too.

Who's next ? One of the regional directors was quoted as saying with the reduction in capacity due this year , there will be more layoffs.Phx looks like a prime candidate because it doesn't make money. All of those small stations in California could be farmed out by years end.