PIT now marginally profitable......

jetpiedmont79

Jan 18, 2006
US Airways chief says Pittsburgh is now 'marginally profitable'

Thursday, May 18, 2006

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- US Airways Chief Executive Officer Doug Parker yesterday said Pittsburgh International Airport was now "marginally profitable" for the carrier because of cutbacks made since last year's US Airways-America West merger and that he does not expect any more dramatic reductions in local flights or employees.

The region's largest carrier now has fewer than 200 flights and about 3,000 employees at the airport, down from more than 500 flights and 12,000 employees at the beginning of the decade.

"We feel good about where it is now,'' Mr. Parker said, adding that before the changes, the airline "lost lots and lots of money in Pittsburgh over the last five years.''

His comments came in an interview following US Airways' annual shareholders meeting at the Charlotte Convention Center.

Maybe this means more flights after the HP/US honeymoon is over? :p

Doubt it. Doug treats Pittsburgh like a red-headed stepchild. Too bad, because he seems to be missing out on what could be an excellent way to allieviate Philly Factor in the Northeast. Instead, he dwells on the "it's too expensive" mantra that he learned from previous US management.

Maybe one day, but not today.

Well, if everybody keeps saying that...maybe it's the truth...

That's my point: not everybody is saying that, just US management. Think about how much more profit could be made if PIT had more destinations to connect to with US. Pre-merger management made sure those flights went away during BK2. I'm talking about consistently full or nearly-full flights on mainline and express.

Now US pax can enjoy the wonders of PHL in all of its glory. And it only took the hiring of several hundred new employees and the "creative movement" of lots of other stations' equipment to PHL to get an extremely marginal improvement in service. At least I think they are showing some improvement. It's hard to tell with all of the AC damage that goes on there.

That's my point: not everybody is saying that, just US management.

Hmmm, so I guess we should believe every Joe Schmo from the ramp, cockpit, or his home computer, as opposed to the management of an airline. :huh:

I am sorry, but I don't know everything about this airline. You don't know everything about this airline. The people who know the most about this airline (operationally), whether you like it or not, is the management. These people aren't stupid, no matter what you read. They got to their position because they must of done something well. They know what they are doing. Need proof? Look at how many airlines made money last quarter? Last time I checked, US Airways was on that list.

Sure PIT made a great hub in the past. But this industry has changed. It is time to move on and accept PIT for what it is now.

The people who know the most about this airline (operationally), whether you like it or not, is the management. These people aren't stupid, no matter what you read.

You are so right. In fact the guy that was behind the PHL meltdown year before last is still here. Thank goodness we can still take advantage of his operational experience.

Greeter

I'm talking about consistently full or nearly-full flights on mainline and express.

Now that Pittsburgh has been right sized, you are correct. The flights are full or nearly full....hence the marginal profit. Add more capacity, say good bye to the marginal profit.