Judge Tells United To Mend Fences--or Else

Mar 26, 2004
Judge tells United to mend fences--or else
Advertisement

By Melissa Allison
Tribune staff reporter

August 21, 2004

A bankruptcy court judge warned United Airlines on Friday that he will let outsiders bid for control of the troubled carrier if management does not improve deteriorating relationships with its unions and others.

The airline's unions have been outraged at United's decision to stop paying into pension plans. They were further agitated this week after the carrier said it would "likely" terminate all four of its plans.

Judge Eugene Wedoff said a communications breakdown between workers and management seems to have occurred after United lost its bid for a federal loan guarantee nearly two months ago. He gave the airline until the end of September to repair relations with its increasingly bitter workforce.

If that does not happen, Wedoff said, he is prepared to "go the other route. I just hope I don't have to."

Throughout its 20-month bankruptcy, United's management has had the exclusive right to reorganize the airline.

Two United unions already had asked the judge to revoke the carrier's right to exclusivity, saying they no longer trusted management and wanted other investors, which often bring their own executive teams, to come to the table.

Despite the animosity, Wedoff approved United's new $1 billion financing package on Friday, which it needs to continue operating during bankruptcy.

Union leaders and the federal agency that insures pensions opposed the package because United indicated that the financing arrangement was the reason the carrier could no longer make contributions to its pension plans. Those plans are underfunded by $8.3 billion, according to government figures.

The carrier acknowledged Friday that the financing package included no such provision regarding pension payments. United said it had not included the payments in the business plan it presented to lenders.

Wedoff said it was "unfortunate that the message went out" that the financing package prohibited the carrier from making pension contributions.

Another "unfortunate communication" was the way United told its unions that it probably will terminate pension plans, Wedoff said. Union attorneys made it clear during the hearing that they were blindsided by the decision.

After the hearing, a spokesman for one of those unions said it hopes to work with United in finding "less drastic solutions" to the termination of the airline's pension funds.

"We have not been included in the process," said Joseph Tiberi, a spokesman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

Also Friday, Wedoff granted an injunction United sought against two lawsuits the machinists union filed against the airline's executives in other courts.

Wedoff said his court is the place to hear questions about how management has handled its duties.

"One of the unions has recognized that and has a pending motion for an independent trustee," Wedoff said of a machinists union motion scheduled for a hearing in September.

The union wants a bankruptcy trustee to whom current management, including Chief Executive Glenn Tilton, would have to report.
Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

"We have not been included in the process," said Joseph Tiberi, a spokesman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
Maybe because YOUR dipsh*t on the board hasn't gone to any of the meetings..... :shock:

The union wants a bankruptcy trustee to whom current management, including Chief Executive Glenn Tilton, would have to report.

Just great!!!
Is Peterpaul out of coke and hookers?

View attachment 1838

'IAM' + 'Trustee' <NE> Trust!!!

:p UT

UNITEDS PLAN

Pilots-" I want 203k/yr even though people are only paying $99 coast to coast"

Management-" Has anyone seen my left shoe?"

F/.A's-"I want to you to run the airline, pay us, and pay all the retirees even if you don't have the cash"

Management-"Anyone seen my right shoe?"

Mechs/Gnd Support-" I want you to pay me full pay, 7 weeks vacation, full sick pay, and don't fire anyone for fraudulant industrial injury claims"

Management-"Anyone seen my socks?"

Judge-"Can't you guys get along?'

Everybody-"They started it....it's their fault"

Management-"I know I put those shoes and socks somewhere"
:up:

United will never mend fences. That would be the same as saying "I'm sorry". They have always used the command & rule approach to mechanics and I'm sure the same with other employee groups. I would bet that from the VP level up they have no idea how incompetent the management team is. Most managers & foremen have never spent any time working on an aircraft or just figured they could keep their hands clean by becoming a kiss a**. What is really funny is they have no management skills at all. If they did we wouldn’t have so many of them.

Tilton was just a fresh name out of the hat. None of the airline execs wanted to come to UAL. The same old gang is still calling the shots at UA. You can't have 20 or 30-year-old thinking in today’s market.

I would like nothing more than to retire from United in the future. That isn't going to happen. I have kissed my retirement good bye. If all they have, as a business plan is to go after the employees then we deserve to go CH 7.

I am done venting now.

gatemech

I am sure that Tilton, Brace, and McDonald could give two S*#@$ about what the BK judge tells them. They only want government or official intervention when it weighs in their favor. But as time goes by they will see that the government knows that they don't have a plan to turn UAL around. He will eventually allow outside intervention and or takeover bids to take place. It would even be better in the end if they held some of these folks accountable for the loss of the pensions and the former ESOP that employees counted on from the last employee give backs.

Things are just getting warmed up! Wait till UAL finally starts to pressure the unions for MORE cuts. It is truly going to get VERY ugly AGAIN at UAL HELL.

I think Tilton and Bush come from the same school. Let's play a game, lie, and let the s**t fall on someone else. These people don't care, they have already made themselves and their friends rich, why would they care about us ?

In todays world you can't get by with the lies that Tilton has made. The judge says to mend fences. Gee, I wonder which side of the fence he has been on for the last 20 months. This company had a chance a while ago, I think it will be much harder now that we have more losses, an ugly balance sheet and unhappy people working. You can't lie and expect us to embrace, it just doesn't work like that.