No Ruling Till The 31st

That's right, Bob. They need to cut costs or increase revenue. Do you have some magic formula that allows an airline to increase revenue, say 10%-15% overnight? Because if you do, you need to shed that mechanic's toolbelt and get yourself to Wall Street. You're about to become a billionaire because there's no person on the planet that can do that. And if you don't then.......

We're back to reality. You have to cut costs down to your competitors. Since you can add 30%+25% and get 55%, you can realize that there's another 45% that can be cut elsewhere. In AMR's case it's actually 57%. Well, you can't magically make fuel prices go down, especially when you don't have cash to hedge. So that leaves 75% of your airline's costs to cover 100% of what's needed to bring expenses down. And you're saying that 30% of that 75% should fold their arms and say not me? Hmmm......

Bob, when all the other cost cutting is done, it's going to come to labor. And if you're going to fold your hands and say, "full pay to the last day," you're going to be out of a job. Just wait and see what happens to 20,000 IAM members here at UAL in a few days if they do the same. I hope for their sake their local economies can absorb 20,000 people who are really good at loading airplanes and answering the phone for $10-20/hour with full benefits because I know my local economy won't.

So you are claiming that the numbers submitted to the SEC tell the whole story?

Um, Bob. I'm telling you that if any of those numbers were made up, my CEO goes to prison. That's what I'm telling you. I'm also telling you that my union has had access to the books, and BOTH the IAM and the AFA had access to the books because they didn't "believe" the numbers either. After they got to "see," they were awfully quiet. Whaddya think, Bob? You think between those 3 unions, a creditors' committee, a bankruptcy judge, and the SEC, we just might have a insy-tinsy bit of an idea what's going on with the company's finanicals? You're not really suggesting, Bob, that the numbers are lying to ALL of us Bob, are you? Because if you are.......De Nile isn't just a river in Africa, and it sounds like it flows through Dallas.......

I'm not degrading your skills but now that they, and apparently you, are content to offer the public airplanes that are "adequately" maintained, maybe with all the sophisticated automated control of aircraft they will also settle for "adequate pilots"?

Absolutely. There's no doubt in mind that the industry will settle for "adequate" pilots as well. Part of the reason many talented people come to fly airplanes is for the END compensation level. If the END compensation level drops to the point where there are better places for smart, talented, college educated people to earn a living, especially considering the great EXTRA expense pilots have to endure in both college, flight training, and years at jobs at pay levels that would make a first year flight attendant blush, then absolutely, Bob. There will be less talented pilots in our future. Just like maintenance. Just like the lackluster management the airline industry attracts. The question is, what is the public willing to endure? One extra crash a year? Two? 150 people die every day driving their cars around on U.S. roads and highways. Maybe that will become the aviation accepted norm? The public will determine what's "adequate" and pay accordingly.

Bob, I'm done going in circles with you-this is taking way too much time. You position is basically that there's never any reason for YOU (labor) to give anything up because it's all a scam, the industry is cyclical, airlines never need to restructure because the industry doesn't change, and you're better off fighting because somehow that's going to magically keep your wages up when the low cost airlines are cutting them all around you. Good luck over there, Bob. And like I said before, if you represent your union's mentality, I hope you and your peers are saving for a rainy day. You're going to need it. And if UAL makes it out of this mess, I guess we'll have Chicago to ourselves very soon.

mrfish3726 said:
30 Past the witching hour! Will the IAM hiearchy cave???????? :shock:
[post="274413"][/post]​

Come on, Fish. You're sounding like a commercial for a new reality show. Of course they're going to cave. Striking is not an option. Management knows it and the union know it.

So your saying that all the tuff tolk on here from AMFA, AFA, and now the IAm is ALL TALK? No WAY LOL :up: You guys are all SOOOO Pathetic to let UniTED management manipulate your lives!!!!! :down: :p

Retired1 said:
Broke, you better check again on PBGC paying for health insurance.
[post="273768"][/post]​
I checked with the PBGC. It is called the "Health Coverage Tax Credit" and is equal to 65% of my health coverage until I Iam eligible for Medicare. I can elect to have this credit paid to the insurance carrier monthly or wait and collect it at the end of the year in one lump sum. If you would like more info, call the HCTC customer contact center toll free at 1-866-623-4282. :rolleyes:

Sorry Mr. Fish. You'll have to wait for your management to come to you for cuts so you can shut down an airline, because it ain't happening here.

By Erik Ahlberg
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

CHICAGO (Dow Jones)--United Airlines and its employee union
representing 20,000 ramp workers and customer service agents on Tuesday said they had reached a tentative agreement on a new, concessionary labor contract, a deal that at least temporarily eliminates the threat of a strike.

Terms were not immediately available. The agreement is still subject to
"additional due diligence" by both parties, United attorney Alexander
Dmitrief said in open court.

The new contract still must be approved by the membership of the
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, the only remaining
United union that had not reached an agreement with the carrier. The IAM had said
that it would strike as early as Tuesday afternoon if a federal court altered
its employment contract without its consent.

The deal is a victory for UAL Corp.'s (UALAQ) United and its plans to
emerge from bankruptcy this fall. The carrier has said that wringing
additional

labor-related costs from its operations was key to obtaining exit
financing from its lenders. The agreement also keeps the airline's operations running smoothly without the disruption of a strike and the bad press that would likely come as a result.

Broke@SFO said:
I checked with the PBGC. It is called the "Health Coverage Tax Credit" and is equal to 65% of my health coverage until I Iam eligible for Medicare. I can elect to have this credit paid to the insurance carrier monthly or wait and collect it at the end of the year in one lump sum. If you would like more info, call the HCTC customer contact center toll free at 1-866-623-4282. :rolleyes:
[post="274437"][/post]​

Thanks for that info, Broke. I'm going to post that info on our forum at work. I'm not sure that many people know that!