Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

townpete

Corn Field
May 30, 2008
God rest his soul. 

This is really bad. 

Condolences to his family

And condolences to our country when Obama appoints someone unqualified, and tips the balance of the Court to a majority of Constitution-hating liberals.

Reactions: 1 person
Doubt anything will go down until a new congress and admin is seated.

Or we could cut an EO.  
obamadance.gif

Kev3188 said:
So if corporations really are people, are they in mourning right now?

Welp since people are the ones that create corporations (shareholder's) etc., im sure they are.

Or are you still under that idiotic liberal ideal that corporations are something other then that?

If so then what does it look like?

Have you seen one?

Union = An organized association of workers.

Corporation = A corporation is created (incorporated) by a group of shareholders who have ownership of the corporation, represented by their holding of common stock. Shareholders elect a board of directors (generally receiving one vote per share) who appoint and oversee management of the corporation. Although a corporation does not necessarily have to be for profit, the vast majority of corporations are setup with the goal of providing a return for its shareholders. When you purchase stock you are becoming part owner in a corporation.

Essentially the same thing.

Like i told one of the resident dunces over on the DAL forum.

There's no way in hell Obama is going to get another liberal in.

Why?

The President nominates someone for a vacancy on the Court and the Senate votes to confirm the nominee, which requires a simple majority.

Who holds the simple majority in the senate?

114th Congress (2015-2017)
Majority Party: Republican (54 seats)
Minority Party: Democrat (44 seats)
Other Parties: 2 Independents (both caucus with the Democrats)
Total Seats: 100

townpete said:
Like i told one of the resident dunces over on the DAL forum.

There's no way in hell Obama is going to get another liberal in.

Why?

The President nominates someone for a vacancy on the Court and the Senate votes to confirm the nominee, which requires a simple majority.

Who holds the simple majority in the senate?

114th Congress (2015-2017)
Majority Party: Republican (54 seats)
Minority Party: Democrat (44 seats)
Other Parties: 2 Independents (both caucus with the Democrats)
Total Seats: 100

Just a dumb question, but if a supreme court justice is supposed to interpret the law as it applies to the constitution, why does liberal or conservative matter?  I can't find abortion anywhere in the constitution, but it seems that the biggest things we want supreme court justices for is to ban abortions and gay marriage.  

delldude said:
Any takers on the first Muslim appointment and a down vote will be a racist based issue?

They'd better not get a Muslim constitutionalist....if they do, they are likely to interpret that all MEN are created equal and take away a womans right to vote. Sharia law and all that. 

KCFlyer said:

Just a dumb question, but if a supreme court justice is supposed to interpret the law as it applies to the constitution, why does liberal or conservative matter?  I can't find abortion anywhere in the constitution, but it seems that the biggest things we want supreme court justices for is to ban abortions and gay marriage.  

Because we live in the real world.

KCFlyer said:
Good point. Can't find abortion or same-sex marriage in there, but the freedom of speech is pretty obvious (Citizens United), the right to bear arms is inartfully and clumsily written, but it's in there, and it's beyond dabate that capital punishment by hanging wasn't considered "cruel and unusual punishment" in 1791.

Reagan campaigned in 1980 with the promise that he would nominate justices who would overturn Roe v Wade and Hillary Clinton has written extensively this year that she will do the same to Citizens United and various other decisions with which she disagrees. Both political parties wallow in that sewer and merely pay lip service to blind justice.

On the topic, Rest in Peace, Justice Scalia.

In the death pool, I had chosen Justice Ginsberg, not Scalia. Looks like I have to go to the ATM.