KCFLYER...Memories

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
KCFLYER. remember writing this?

A major thing you find wrong with management is giving in to labor demands. Read On!

As I said - there's more to a job than money. Yes, I could make more than what I do. The tradeoff - I'd miss out on my daughters growing up. I could make more money, but I can't buy what I'd have to give up in return. I guess you haven't read where I'm a government employee. Nope, we don't make as much as we could, although it's very competitive, but you won't find any of our management raking it in with multimillion dollar paychecks. [BR][BR]Sorry, you won't find someone here who thinks that executives are underpaid. Management salaries have gotten out of hand in all industries, and raises and bonuses paid as their companies lose money and they lay off staff are unconscionable. But....I'd be willing to bet that salary wise, the JetBlue execs make a lot less than the AA, UAL or U execs. Southwest execs make a lot less than their brothers at other airlines. When you look at who's getting the most bang for the management buck, those two airlines have to be leading the pack. [BR][BR]But what's wrong with making a wage that puts a roof over your head, food on your table, and a car in your driveway and actually liking...no...respecting management. It seems that you feel that Jetblue (and for that matter SWA employees) are being played for fools because the believe their management. They don't have a feeling that they are being used and abused by management, so why does it bother you? Some folks have actually had the audacity to say that their pilots and mechanics are less qualified because of their paychecks. Is it because their costs are lower that has caused your company all it's grief? And you're offended because they actually like their jobs? Trust me, it's more than just JetBlue that's brought the industry to it's knees...hell, they've only got 30 planes and 30 planes shouldn't be enough to bring down the giants. No, there was something more. While management did have a hand in it, a lot of their poor decisions were based on giving in to labor demands rather than facing a strike. So the industry is where it's at today. You guys can be upset at JetBlue or Southwest or any other low cost carrier all you want. The difference is, they wake up every morning and look forward to going to work. Can you say the same thing? How much would you be willing to pay to be able to do that? [BR][BR]FWIW - a lot of SWA employees who were there when that airline was only 3 years old have retired millionaires. Do you know any mechanics, gate agents, FA's or rampers at your airline who have done that? Back then, SWA wasn't leading the industry in pay. If that's being used and abused by management, then they can abuse me

Hey...hows this one for a "pro management" post:

American pulls a U AA could have pulled in a ton of disgruntled passengers from U and UAL. But apparently managment is taking the "sheep" approach. If Crandall were still there, you'd be offering double miles doing everything possible to capture a market that was being handed to you.

Your point is? Seems from reading that, it was in response to a post that somehow claims that Southwest and Jetblue were "bringing the industry down" because they weren't paid "industry leading wages (back then - today is a little difference...isn't it now?) I also believe that I was pointing out that the executives at Southwest or Jetblue make less than their counterparts at the other "mainline" carriers. And I don't believe that you cite anything where I either say you should be paid less, or where I am fawning over AA managment. Keep trying.

Yep...giving into labor demands was one of many "mistakes" made by management. How about some examples:

1. TWA mechanics refusal to accept the companies "best and final offer". Less than two years later, TWA no longer exists. You don't think this "mistake" by managment played even a tiny little role?

2. UAL's "summer from hell". The pilots got their raises. Same with the mechanics. It would appear that they are now giving those raises back.

Yep...I think that labor was a "thorn in their side". Guess that happens when you feel that those in charge are out to screw you in any way possible.

Oops.. I almost forgot...I couldn't find in there where I demanded the $99 transcon fare.

----------------
On 7/28/2003 10:52:38 AM Hopeful wrote:

KCFLYER. remember writing this?

(snip)
----------------​

Ever heard of e-mail?

Latest posts