Known Scheduling Problems

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Here is the flifo entry online for flt 228 today.

This flight is estimated to depart from Tampa, FL at 4:45pmDue to weather conditions moving through the Tampa, FL area some flight departures from Tampa, FL have been delayed.

This is our PHL flight with all of our 8pm and later international passengers. Summertime in Florida = thunderstorms. Our manager said he has talked with scheduling about moving this flight to an earlier time since 430pm is prime thunderstorm time with an East wind and he didnt seem to think they were interested. We have also mentioned in the past about restricting international connections on this flight, but marketing nixed that idea as noncompetitive. Well, if someone would look at the track record of this flight since the summer started (approx June 1) until now, they would see that this flight is continually delayed either due to local weather at this time of the day, or ATC kicking in at PHL (usually about 4pm) and the loss of international passengers and associated revenue for the entire summer season must be tremendous. Some days we have 25-40 pax or more making international connections. The agents and management have identified this flight as a critical flight in the daily operations and yet no one seems interested in taking action to either correct the timing of the flight or change the connections to protect the associated loss of passengers, revenue and the added loss of good customer relations when they cant get home for another day since there are very limited international flights. (Before anyone speaks about the bad PR, yes it is noticed on a daily basis and those at the counter can attest to that. Ever been cussed at in German?) I understand that there are constraints in making the schedule with connections and marketing, but when a problem is identified with various solutions offered, I thought management at CCY and those in the know would ATTEMPT to PROTECT REVENUE and CORRECT THE PROBLEM. This unfortunately is not a new problem. This particular flight has been a problem for 3 or 4 years now and each summer it is allowed to continue as if nothing is wrong. Can someone give us some answers?

tadjr,
actually it has been much longer than 3-4 years....the same concerns were echoed
as far back as the rein of Ron R, Ron F. and Anita.....all called marketing/international regarding same, especially since at the time there was a 2p daily phl flt....seemed to have fallen on deaf ears....

what they dont seem to grasp is the fact that most of the international pax leaving are going home....and that 2-3 hr connections are not a big deal across the pond.
but as you noted, they will continue to press the hr and 15 min international connection and you will continue on a daily basis to give away the ship.

good luck.

Tad, THEY DON'T CARE!! The same has been true for years with flights into LGA scheduled at 10 minutes before the Midnight Curfew. Ben doesn't care about any of that stuff. Plain and simple, WE NEED A MARKETING DEPARTMENT!

tadjr said:
I thought management at CCY and those in the know would ATTEMPT to PROTECT REVENUE and CORRECT THE PROBLEM. This unfortunately is not a new problem. This particular flight has been a problem for 3 or 4 years now and each summer it is allowed to continue as if nothing is wrong. Can someone give us some answers?

Tad, don't you know?

It's one those "big picture" things. :D

Another day of Intl losses. There were 37 Intl pax scheduled today....
GROUND DELAY PROGRAMS

ARPT START END FACILITIES REASON MAX AVG AAR PR

PHL 1944 0059 NoWest+CZY_AP WEATHER, TSTMS 100 49 36 36

US Airways Flight 228

Friday, August 29, 2003
Departure Arrival
Airport: Tampa, FL (TPA) Airport: Philadelphia, PA (PHL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Time:
4:30pm Scheduled Time:
6:59pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actual Time:
5:46pm Estimated Time:
8:04pm

:down: :angry:

This company is run throughout by charades.
Although most policies and operational decisions partly and purportedly exist with our customers in mind, thereby creating a positive travel expierience, increasing customer loyalty and their repeat business.
Unfortunatly and all too often, management may say the customer's experience is important but in reality management all over, in every department, operates by their desire to look good to their superiors, while those they oversee know how things really are.
Example: CS Traning pumps what are really very well produced newsletters concerning many topics. This may look great to their superiors. But do these superiors realize that when these newsletteres arrive at my stations, no follow-through exists to ensure the agents have read the material and understood the contents. I often discover recently arrived dumped on a table and strewn among the day's newspapers.
Training produces a wonderful newsletter, surely impressing many. If only the training were as good as the newsletter.
How may times have those at ATO upon hearing some member of upper management would soon be passing through, and suddenly everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off, dealing with the station's appearences in a way our customers never merited.

Yet again, another day of International misconnects! Way to go CCY! PO all those customers who book on our short connections to remain competitive, meanwhile.... you arent getting home til tomorrow again. How's that for a nice long layover? Real competitive move there.

US Airways Flight 228

Wednesday, September 3, 2003
Departure Arrival
Airport: Tampa, FL (TPA) Airport: Philadelphia, PA (PHL)

Scheduled Time:
4:30pm Scheduled Time:
6:59pm

Actual Time:
5:13pm Actual Time:
8:23pm

Gate:
Not Available Gate:
B10

Aircraft:
Boeing 737-300 Baggage Claim:
A
Comments: This flight arrived in Philadelphia, PA at 8:23pm. Flight delays are now in effect to maintain a consistent flow of air traffic into Philadelphia, PA. A new takeoff time has been estimated by the FAA.

Thanks for reminding me to change my BOS/CDG flights. The only options I could seem to get on the website gave me connecting times of a little more than an hour both directions. Obviously not enough. The CP folks were glad to fix them for me, to something more realistic.

Thank you Tad and Mark for your comments and insights. As one who is frequently affected by PHL and its problems (it's likely again today as I sit here in ROC), I usually try to schedule longer layovers (at least 75 minutes), because I know that is being realistic. During the past 2 or 3 weeks, I have not had one flight operate on time, the closest being about 30 minutes late. I had my boss and HIS boss waiting for me at ROC the other night for an hour or so (my flight was about 40 minutes late).

To me it's just the cost of flying through PHL--it doesn't make it right, but I tell you I can't wait for RJ's to go ISP-PIT!!!! (Perhaps another dream??)

The agent at the ticket counter offered me CO through ALB, but I am not brave enough to fly on B-1900's right now. I will just wait it out and see what happens.