Kudos to crew during emergency landing

cls

Dec 29, 2004
I'm a semi-frequent flyer and Silver Elite member. I travel TPA/EWR at least once a month and have been for 7 years.

Flight 1419 on 1/24/06 seemed uneventful. We were watching our comedy shows, ate a nice breakfast in 1st class (thanks for still serving meals) and were ahead of schedule.

At 45 minutes prior to landing the captain comes on the intercom and announces they are having a "control" problem and he declared an emergency. He indicated we were fine now and would only possibly have a problem during landing. He also told us there would be lots of emergency equipment on the ground when we landed so not to panic when we see that. Having flown many times I felt a slight rattle at an odd time during flight, but I've learned that I know nothing about planes so I keep my paranoia in check. Anyway he said the FA's would go through the checklist and advise us how to prepare for the possible bad landing.

Since we had 45 minutes, that gave the crew plenty of time to go through the entire check list and practice our "crash" position (pardon the pun; no better word to describe it). Each member of the crew was extremely calm and very focused. Not one passenger reacted adversely nor did they try to use their phones or in anyway distract from the safety procedures.

All we had to do was wait for the signal from the crew to "assume the position" and hope for the best. At the signal, all of the FA's began shouting for us to put our heads down and kept shouting it continuously. The cockpit crew made a better emergency landing than many of my "normal" landings. Once we all felt safe, a few clapped while others laughed nervously (me). It was very quiet and I guess we all realized that the crew is not there to serve us drinks and food, but to possibly and probably save our lives.

Thanks for all of the dedicated employees on the ground and in the air. :up:

Edited by moderator- Please do not quote an entire lengthy post just to add a couple of lines, especially the post right above your reply.

Thanks for all of the dedicated employees on the ground and in the air. :up:

This just goes to show those people who think we do nothing except, serve beverages and food. True professionals!

Since we had 45 minutes, that gave the crew plenty of time to go through the entire check list and practice our "crash" position (pardon the pun; no better word to describe it).

How about "brace position?"

Latest posts