Emergency landing AA pilot told to wait or go to DAL

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
Air traffic controllers at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport recently were retrained after an American Airlines pilot declared an emergency but was told he couldn't land on the runway he requested.

The crew on the Aug. 31 flight between Tulsa and D/FW declared a low-fuel emergency and asked to land against the flow of traffic.

"We're not sure if it's a fuel leak or what, but we need to get on the ground right away, please," the captain of the aircraft is heard saying on audiotapes obtained by WFAA-TV

A controller supervisor is then heard to say that type of landing would delay other flights. The controller went on to suggest that the pilot land on a different runway or possibly go into Dallas Love Field.

story here

"American feels that its pilots need to know that when they have a fuel emergency, they will receive the appropriate help from the air traffic control in this type of situation," airline spokesman Tim Smith said. "They have to feel if they have a fuel emergency, they'll get the support they need."

The Federal Aviation Administration has retrained all of the controllers at the airport to clarify how to handle such incidents.

Air traffic controllers at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport recently were retrained after an American Airlines pilot declared an emergency but was told he couldn't land on the runway he requested.

The crew on the Aug. 31 flight between Tulsa and D/FW declared a low-fuel emergency and asked to land against the flow of traffic.

"We're not sure if it's a fuel leak or what, but we need to get on the ground right away, please," the captain of the aircraft is heard saying on audiotapes obtained by WFAA-TV

A controller supervisor is then heard to say that type of landing would delay other flights. The controller went on to suggest that the pilot land on a different runway or possibly go into Dallas Love Field.

story here

"American feels that its pilots need to know that when they have a fuel emergency, they will receive the appropriate help from the air traffic control in this type of situation," airline spokesman Tim Smith said. "They have to feel if they have a fuel emergency, they'll get the support they need."

The Federal Aviation Administration has retrained all of the controllers at the airport to clarify how to handle such incidents.
I guess those boys never heard about Avianca.
My guess is that pilots are reluctant to call an emergency unless they really feel there is one because of all the paperwork and FAA debriefing afterwards. ATC should not take it so lightly.

Absolute IDIOTS! When a pilot declares an emergency he gets what he wants. PERIOD. End of sentence.

There are no requests. There are no debates. It's called emergency authority. The controllers should be fired for this one, or at the very least given a long time off with no pay.

The only thing I can critique the captain for is not sticking to his guns. He allowed himself to get talked into a "less safe" option by a resistant controller.

If it were my flight the conversation would have gone something like this... "Approach, what part of declaring an emergency did you not understand? We are landing on 17C in 3 minutes. Get the traffic out of our way. Here we come."

Whoever it was that refused 17L should be held accountable. An incompetent FAA supervisor.....what a surprise. :blink:

Absolute IDIOTS! When a pilot declares an emergency he gets what he wants. PERIOD. End of sentence.

There are no requests. There are no debates. It's called emergency authority. The controllers should be fired for this one, or at the very least given a long time off with no pay.

The only thing I can critique the captain for is not sticking to his guns. He allowed himself to get talked into a "less safe" option by a resistant controller.

If it were my flight the conversation would have gone something like this... "Approach, what part of declaring an emergency did you not understand? We are landing on 17C in 3 minutes. Get the traffic out of our way. Here we come."
What do the ATC's do for a Lifeguard Flight? Put them in a holding pattern.

I concur. We'll never learn, it seems.

Latest posts