Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Oil Leaks, Labor Costs Soar
by Harold Maass
Utility Links

Printable ViewEmail this PageMonday, August 14, 2006
NEWS AT A GLANCE

Spike in labor costs threatens profits

Surging labor costs might snap the longest U.S. profit streak in more than 40 years. (Bloomberg.com) The price of labor has jumped 3.2 percent over the past year, up from 0.8 percent a year between 2000 and 2005. Declining consumer demand means companies won't be able to recoup those costs through price increases. As a result, earnings will tumble. Standard & Poor's 500 earnings growth will drop to about 5 percent in 2007 from an estimated 11.4 percent in 2006, according to Henry McVey of Morgan Stanley in New York. U.S. profits have increased more than 10 percent in 15 of the last 16 quarters, the best showing since at least 1960.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, no! Labor rates up 3.2%!!!!!!!!
We better open up the contract before AA comes after us again!

All I know is that I got a $.42 an hour raise in May and this is gonna hurt AA's profits???????????????

He failed to mention Arpey's 23% increase....Oh, I forgot that doesn't count..

I don't know who's labor costs are soaring....it must be the proposed minimum wage increases that I thought failed.

Now we all know management costs are soaring. I saw last night on the news that stock options are getting some Silicon Valley companies management in hot water with the SEC. Apparently greedy management has been "fudging" the dates to increase the stock value. I guess $10 million in cash isn't enough, it's got to be $15 million. :down: :down:

The price of labor has jumped 3.2 percent over the past year

Business Week says, "Over the past year, hourly wages and benefits have grown 5.7%"

FULL ARTICLE

Additionally, AA's labor costs have gone way down since they canceled prescription drug coverage for all employees and retirees over 65. Arpey's wage is a tiny fraction of the amount they took away from us on that.

"Over the past year, hourly wages and benefits have grown 5.7%"

Except at AA where wages and benefits are at a 15 year low
:down:

unless of course you are part of the gang of greed club where a 23 percent pay increase is the norm
:down: