AMR PROFIT

I've noticed it. More and more, and I fly AA a lot in the Latin markets. Some flights I've been on I was not aware they made that much duct tape! Everything from bathroom ceiling panels being taped up, overhead bins taped shut, arm rests wrapped and wrapped. Seat cushions taped, carpet runners taped (and covering emergency lighting). Just last week I pulled down a windowshade (in F mind you) and there it was staring me in the face, Duct Tape covering a hole in the plastic shade.

I'm beginning to wonder, if I bring my own duct tape, will I get a discount on my ticket?

You can't blame maintenance, they can only do what they are given time to do (which isn't much on a quick turn) or do as they are instructed by management to do - passengers be damned.

What you are seeing in the picture is not duct tape but speed tape. Often used in temporary repairs.
duct_tape.jpg

We were robbed of 7 dollars an hour, sick time, a week of vacation, injury time, double time, holidays longevity pay, shift differential and more over 4 years ago. We were also insulted with one and a half percent raise a year since then. Not even enough to keep up with inflation. Then we had to watch our white collar crookes reward themselves over and over with our win together money we saved but recieved none of. Our equiptment is in deplorable condition and we have no parts on hand. They have cut our work force in half and want us to do twice as much for less pay! This is why our airplanes are in by far the worst shape that I have seen them in for my 20 plus years. I am ashamed to wear my uniform home and ashmed to be on the jetbridge with duct tape and a placard. I am AAshamed of my airline. And it will stay this way as long as the white collar crooks keep getting thier money. I would have to say that at least 85 percent of the mechanics now go by the same modo....

THEY PAY ME JUST ENOUGH NOT TO QUIT
SO I DO JUST ENOUGH NOT TO GET FIRED!!!

It also isn't AA. However, when you look at the full photo and the actual video, you'll see the duct tape.

It's quite comical!

What's the big deal with speed tape.I assume we are confusing "duct" tape to "speed" tape. FAA says it's legal. AA engineering has issued many a CDL and SMMR authorizing the use of "speed" tape.

What's the big deal with speed tape.I assume we are confusing "duct" tape to "speed" tape. FAA says it's legal. AA engineering has issued many a CDL and SMMR authorizing the use of "speed" tape.

Good for them. However, just how many passengers on planes or about to board them do you expect know the difference? It's all duct tape to them - and the aircraft they are about to go 32,000 feet into the air on is loaded with duct tape inside, and what appears to be, outside. As far as the passengers are concerned, AA is holding it's planes together with tape; not a real confidence builder and the fact that AA's fleet is falling apart is making it's way through the net and major publications.

It isn't a good feeling when the headlines are telling about Arpey's 12 million in bonus money while watching employees use duct tape because what appears to be a mis-managed airline, doesn't give two shits about passenger safety and that is exactly how it looks to a lay-customer.

Employees are the ones being frowned upon in the moment when things like that are seen, not the un-seen over-compensated CEO spending a nice quiet weekend with the family at their condo in PVR.

Good for them. However, just how many passengers on planes or about to board them do you expect know the difference? It's all duct tape to them - and the aircraft they are about to go 32,000 feet into the air on is loaded with duct tape inside, and what appears to be, outside. As far as the passengers are concerned, AA is holding it's planes together with tape; not a real confidence builder and the fact that AA's fleet is falling apart is making it's way through the net and major publications.

It isn't a good feeling when the headlines are telling about Arpey's 12 million in bonus money while watching employees use duct tape because what appears to be a mis-managed airline, doesn't give two shits about passenger safety and that is exactly how it looks to a lay-customer.

Employees are the ones being frowned upon in the moment when things like that are seen, not the un-seen over-compensated CEO spending a nice quiet weekend with the family at their condo in PVR.

Oh you mean the same people who only care who has the cheapest fares and don't have a clue that their ticket price came mainly at the expense of employees? You mean these people would really care that there's some duct tape on the aircraft?

So march into a major NEWS station and tell the world what you know about aircraft maintenance practices.

Oh you mean the same people who only care who has the cheapest fares and don't have a clue that their ticket price came mainly at the expense of employees? You mean these people would really care that there's some duct tape on the aircraft?

So march into a major NEWS station and tell the world what you know about aircraft maintenance practices.
The same passengers that are happy to pay $75 to get into Disney World, with $5 sodas and $10 cheeseburgers, but don't ask them to pay more than $99 to fly them their. ;)