Lakefield Urges Employees To Look Forward,

Ummm, as a rabid UAL employee defending my company I ask you: where are the hints that we will not get the loan guarantee? My advice to you is to focus on your own struggling company, and let us worry about ours.

Why would profit sharing even be an issue? Can you really see US ever making a big enough profit that it would really make a difference to the employees? That should not even be a bargaining issue because it will never do us any good. Being realistic, what do you think you would ever get out of profit sharing? Do you think you would eventually get more than you have given? I don't think so.

737nCh11:

737nCh11 said: “Ummm, as a rabid UAL employee defending my company I ask you: where are the hints that we will not get the loan guarantee? My advice to you is to focus on your own struggling company, and let us worry about ours.â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: If as a “rabid UAL employeeâ€￾ you would focus on the United versus US Airways board, you would not have to worry about what is said on the US Airways board, especially since your CEO is angry about the loan guarantee application and ATSB review.

Why? If you would stay on the United board as a “rabid UAL employeeâ€￾, you would not have to discuss these comments. It’s your choice to visit the US Airways board, therefore, maybe you should focus on the largest bankruptcy in the history of commercial aviation and not waste time on the US Airways board.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Why? If you would stay on the United board as a “rabid UAL employeeâ€￾, you would not have to discuss these comments. It’s your choice to visit the US Airways board, therefore, maybe you should focus on the largest bankruptcy in the history of commercial aviation and not waste time on the US Airways board.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
According to the general rules of this forum anyone with a registered screen name may post anywhere they choose, provided they stay within the required guidelines.

Take a deep breath and stop behaving like a kindergarten child that won't share an unusually oversized sandbox ... this place is big enough for everyone's opinion, even yours.

If your mind wasn't so closed, you would see that those comments were aimed at an editorial published in the Wall Street Journal, but getting the facts straight was never your strong suit.

PITbull said:
Funny thing is, we heard for us to forget the past from Siegel in March of 2002, when he first came on board. Funny thing again, Siegel said for us to forget the past in November of 2002 for the winter concessions, and that is was important for us to move forward.

Now its become hestarically rediculous "line", that Lakefield would say, "forget the past". Having amnesia is always good for employees, when Corporate Execs don't want to talk about "screw ups". Somehow, management was able to fulfil contracts for two execs to the tune of over $7 million, and these two Execs get to keep their stock that will be worth more millions if labor concedes again. We open our contracts in order to fulfill these Corporate execs contracts.

IMO, the past IS important to remember so that "history doesn't repeat itself".

Funny thing again, we have NEW POSTERS, but we know they are the same old posters with new names, for the new concession.
Funny thing is, we heard for us to forget the past from Siegel in March of 2002, when he first came on board. Funny thing again, Siegel said for us to forget the past in November of 2002 for the winter concessions, and that is was important for us to move forward.
yes pitbull...in fact i remember rakesh singing the same mantra many times too....
I close my eyes,
Only for a moment and the moment's gone
All my dreams,
Pass before my eyes, that curiosity

C: Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind

Same old song,
Just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do,
Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

[2]

Don't hang on,
Nothing last forever but the earth and sky
It slips away,
And all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind

MrAeroMan:

MrAeroMan said: "I just have to wonder why management is so reluctant to negotiate any sort of profit sharing with the labor groups in order to balance concessions? If their true goal is to fix this company and not just rape the employees this should be something the company is more than willing to look at."

USA320Pilot: I agree and any new accord should provide meaningful profit sharing so all employee share in the success of the company, not just management.

Separately, I was encouraged by ALPA's telephone recording yesterday that said, "Your MEC officers, Negotiating Committee, Communications Committee Chairman, and ALPA’s legal and financial staff and advisors met with senior management to receive a presentation on the many elements of the Company’s Transformation Plan. We are encouraged by the fresh thinking and aggressive marketing plan that is embodied in the strategy going forward."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Just look at Monday's USA Today article (click here for the story) where there are hints United Airlines may not receive its loan guarantee.
OK so I took your advice and looked at the article.

And you know what? I read it three times and saw nothing of "hints that UA may not receive its loan guarantee." Sure there are a few quotes from competitors that they don't WANT UA to receive the loan guarantee (kinda like you), but that is far from hints that the ATSB is considering not giving UA the loan guarantee as you imply. Maybe UA will end up not getting it (who knows? Certainly not you), but I see nothing in the article indicating what the ATSB is thinking.

Could you please cut and paste the exact words from the article "hinting" that the ATSB is thinking of not giving UA the loan guarantee? Because I sure can't find anything to that effect.

I would hate to accuse you of being intentionally misleading or biased or anything, so thanks for clearing this up for those of us who don't appear to have your great powers of reading (mis)comprehension!

Thanks!

bobcat said:
Why would profit sharing even be an issue? Can you really see US ever making a big enough profit that it would really make a difference to the employees? That should not even be a bargaining issue because it will never do us any good. Being realistic, what do you think you would ever get out of profit sharing? Do you think you would eventually get more than you have given? I don't think so.
If US won't make enough money to make profit-sharing meaningful, then what will keep RSA, GE, others invested in US if they won't make meaningful profits? What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander ...

Also, don't underestimate the power of incentives. Bethune at CO, when faced with scepticism about bonus payments to everyone ($50 if I remember right) for each quarter that CO was in the Top 3 of the DOT stats said something like "if a VP saw $50 in the street, don't you think they'd stop to pick it up"? Even if it's not a 50% bonus, a 5% profit sharing bonus can be meaningful.

Given the low price of US shares, if the unions believe that there was a greater-than-zero chance of surviving, they should be negotiating like crazy for options or share grants at the current price ...

USA320Pilot said:
MrAeroMan:

MrAeroMan said: "I just have to wonder why management is so reluctant to negotiate any sort of profit sharing with the labor groups in order to balance concessions? If their true goal is to fix this company and not just rape the employees this should be something the company is more than willing to look at."

USA320Pilot: I agree and any new accord should provide meaningful profit sharing so all employee share in the success of the company, not just management.

Separately, I was encouraged by ALPA's telephone recording yesterday that said, "Your MEC officers, Negotiating Committee, Communications Committee Chairman, and ALPA’s legal and financial staff and advisors met with senior management to receive a presentation on the many elements of the Company’s Transformation Plan. We are encouraged by the fresh thinking and aggressive marketing plan that is embodied in the strategy going forward."

Regards,

USA320Pilot
USA320Pilot:

That quote you used is not attributable to me. That quote is from OldieButGoodie and I was quoting him. My comments were below his quote.

Thanks

Well gang,

Gotta get ready to go on a 4-day trip (where's El Gato - it's all hard time). I'll leave you with this:

"Is the glass half full or half empty?" - USA320Pilot

My glass used to be full, now it's half full. Will it soon be one third full?

Jim

Sorry Bruce...I am one who cannot and will not forget the past. Does that mean that I will not listen with an open mind after Friday???? I will listen and make my choice no matter what that is after the presentation of how much the company wants. But I do have to be very honest...everytime that I have bought an apple from the company and have taken a bite out of it, it was rotten. I can only assume the same here, but will do my best with an open mind.

MrAeroMan said:
How do you know they are reluctant to negotiate profit sharing if the negotiations haven't even begun yet?
I just know that in the last two rounds of givebacks that any sort of snapbacks or profit sharing (other than the stock plan) were specifically off limits by management. In fact, in his pre-resignation webcast, Siegel made references to making long-term commitments rather than short term "concessions", which looked to me like he was telling the employees not to expect many returns for this round of concessions. That was purely my own interpretation of what he said. :blink: