las vegas hub to close

Also look at how many people on that plane are traveling on a package deal. Ya know the $299.00 weekend with air included. It's not a real money maker. With fuel as high as it is and competition from WN in LAS (about to get worse) those a/c could most likely be used elsewhere.

Yield have nothing to do with load factor. I can fill airplanes all day and night out of LAS for $19 a seat and guarantee a 100% load factor at that fare. But the yield would be quite a large negative number.

I hear you all.....you couldn't get back to hardly any east coast city that would get you back into PIT most anytime....hard to believe all those funneled Nor easters were flying free both ways.
Last time I went it was easier connecting through CLT,then LAX for a red eye.

ok, see . i know i should research things before i post but i sent an e-mail to kirby about this and he just shot one back saying this is not true . so we wil just have to wait and see.
Whatever, you love stirring the pot.

85u9nvd.jpg

So is this another case of USAir ceding competition to WN? Starting with California in the 80's/90's, USAir had purchased a wonderful airline in PSA and basically pulled it out and handed California to WN. BWI was WN's first east coast destination and at the time was a hub for US. BWI is now WN's. US pulled out of PIT, even though DoUgIe told PA's congressional leadership otherwise. PHL maybe LCC's city of choice for it's European departure's, however WN is growing PHL and PIT rapidly.

Now, LAS. Regardless of the yield's, the original HP had made LAS their second hub and marketed LAS with "Late Night Flight's." WN opened a crew base last year and the airport is nearing completion on a walkway between the B and C gate's. WN could easily go to 350 flight's when completed. Seem's to me that Tempe has taken up the Ed Colodny mantle of competition and this is to run away.

They say, that things happen for a reason. For LCC I'm beginning to believe why !
Actually, FORGET that LCC Crap, you easties have, and will always be US Air to me.

This post will sound ANTI-West, but it's not meant to be !!!
You folks will always be AW to me !

NOW, that EAST will not be merging with AA, or CO, OR NW, then the time is NOW to shape your EAST destiny.
And, I see signs that you are doing it already.

LAS is failing,........well that effects WEST, more than EAST

IMHO the BIGGEST most POSITIVE thing EAST just did, is that the poilots have their own union !!!

LCC BOD's will WAKE ...T F U..SOON and realize that these are the things that will keep EAST going as a smaller legacy, or as an ATTRACTIVE addition to a CO, or AA, or maybe a DL..down the road;

1. the shuttle
2. PHL..O+D..+ International
3. CLT

All of those things are EAST products.

I honestly believe that Parkers days are numbered(believe it or not)

IF THE lcc bod'S are Smart, THEY WILL JETTISON West AND PARKER, and Combine you guy/gals with someone like Frontier.

And as far as UAL is concerned,.............US Air needs to NOT hook up with UAL a this point, take a "wait and see" stance for the time being, and plan to revamp a smaller company that IS doing things right, especially in the 3 area's that I outlined.

Good Luck

First of all, Parker himself is the head of the BOD. Second, why Frontier? Why not Continental, they are in need of a west route structure. Thats why they were in talks with United, AWA was/is pretty large in the west, combining with a frontier wouldn't help, that's why the acquisition of USAir was so appealing, little overlap.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ite...k=49278324.blog

US Airways: We're not leaving Las Vegas
"US Airways is refuting a Las Vegas newspaper report that says the airline will close its hub there. In a Wednesday story, the Las Vegas Sun writes US Airways "has notified its workers that it will discontinue its hub operation in Las Vegas and curtail the number of flights here." But, US Airways spokesman Phil Gee tells Today in the Sky that's not entirely the case. He acknowledges US Airways will make some cuts at Las Vegas, but he says Las Vegas will keep its place as a "secondary hub" for the carrier. Gee notes the carrier has called Las Vegas a secondary hub since the US Airways-America West merger in 2005.

Gee says no job cuts are expected in Las Vegas as a result of the flight cuts there. Gee points to soaring fuel costs for US Airways' reductions in Las Vegas. "Flights that made sense even at $80 per barrel of oil don't at $120," Gee tells Today in the Sky. He says US Airways' fall flight schedule will be finalized this weekend, meaning the number of cuts at Las Vegas should be known by Monday.

Doesn't this sound like PIT? First it's a hub; no it's just a smaller hub. Now it's a focus city; it's now just a smaller focus city. Pretty soon we have; what, 10 flights a day?

So is this another case of USAir ceding competition to WN?

Now, LAS. Regardless of the yield's, the original HP had made LAS their second hub and marketed LAS with "Late Night Flight's." WN opened a crew base last year and the airport is nearing completion on a walkway between the B and C gate's. WN could easily go to 350 flight's when completed. Seem's to me that Tempe has taken up the Ed Colodny mantle of competition and this is to run away.

In all honesty, America West hadn't been much of a competitor to Southwest in LAS for a long, long time. The AWA night hub didn't truly compete with Southwest's flights since Southwest generally doesn't do red-eyes. SWA has a handful of late night flights out of LAS, but it's extremely unusual for them to do much scheduled flying after midnight.

The AWA late night hub was a notoriously low-yield operation. If memory serves, one of the big complaints about Priceline in its early days was their tendency to put people on HP flights via LAS with horrible departure & arrival times. But it worked OK at AWA with low wages and low fuel prices. With fuel prices skyrocketing and leisure travel slowing, a night hub at LAS is a train wreck. Unfortunately, once the hub is gone, it will be extremely costly and difficult to bring it back. But until the economy improves and oil prices decline, the airlines are going to have to go into survival mode, and LAS is probably the hub with the lowest possible future value for US, especially with WN already being the dominant carrier there.

I think the handwriting has been on the wall for a while, what with US pulling flying on many routes that competed directly with WN -- like DEN, IAH(HOU), ELP, ABQ, etc. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the dozen or so non-hub markets that still get reasonably frequent daytime service -- places like LAX, SNA, SFO, DFW, MSP, FAT, BOS, ORD, SMF, JFK, PDX, etc.

USAirways: We're not leaving Las Vegas

[/quote]
Tha's was they said about PIT, next week the ax :lol:

if Usairways announces to the media that they are not closing a HUB believe them. :lol: Usairways NEVER goes back on their word. Again.... :lol: It MUST be true.

So is this another case of USAir ceding competition to WN? Starting with California in the 80's/90's, USAir had purchased a wonderful airline in PSA and basically pulled it out and handed California to WN. BWI was WN's first east coast destination and at the time was a hub for US. BWI is now WN's. US pulled out of PIT, even though DoUgIe told PA's congressional leadership otherwise. PHL maybe LCC's city of choice for it's European departure's, however WN is growing PHL and PIT rapidly.

And don't forget Florida.

US handed that state to WN on a silver platter, as well.