LAX Terminal 3, TWA, and the movies

TWA NEVER had "stews". Both TWA and then Continental used the term "hostess." TWA and Coke had the most recognized brand names in the world and that did not go away with the Connies. TWA is now a very important part of aviation AND American's history so don't be so fast to discount the bits and pieces that you hear from proud employees and former customers.
I had the honor of working for PanAM and TWA when being a flight attendant WAS considered "glamorous" (only by others-lol), at a time when they were the only designated "flag carriers". We have earned a pride in our past from our reputation of excellence, despite external financial challenges, highjackings, terrorists, bks, greedy corporate raiders, labor disputes, and hostile takeovers. We NEVER lost our reputation for superior service to our customers.
Maybe some "old school" is just what this industry needs. Celebrate our history because it IS now your history too.

Well said....

TWA NEVER had "stews". Both TWA and then Continental used the term "hostess." TWA and Coke had the most recognized brand names in the world and that did not go away with the Connies. TWA is now a very important part of aviation AND American's history so don't be so fast to discount the bits and pieces that you hear from proud employees and former customers.
I had the honor of working for PanAM and TWA when being a flight attendant WAS considered "glamorous" (only by others-lol), at a time when they were the only designated "flag carriers". We have earned a pride in our past from our reputation of excellence, despite external financial challenges, highjackings, terrorists, bks, greedy corporate raiders, labor disputes, and hostile takeovers. We NEVER lost our reputation for superior service to our customers.
Maybe some "old school" is just what this industry needs. Celebrate our history because it IS now your history too.
:( If there was "any" offence in my use of the term "stew", as an exTWA employee of 30+ years, I do appologize! I have nothing but respect for the Ladies,and Gentalmen, who worked to keep the customers of TWA safe, and confortable, year in, and year out!

:( If there was "any" offence in my use of the term "stew", as an exTWA employee of 30+ years, I do appologize! I have nothing but respect for the Ladies,and Gentalmen, who worked to keep the customers of TWA safe, and confortable, year in, and year out!

No, just a little history..... It was strange when we first arrived at AA and were invited to join Stewpot, one of the AA f/a bbs. For us, using the word "stew" was like being in SFO and calling it "Frisco".

<_< The last Connie flew for TWA in the latter part of 1967! I think! :unsure: Than came the jets: 707's, and 880's!

the 707s and 880s (and even 727s and DC-9s) were flying for TWA well before the last Constellation service in April 1967.
707: March 1959
880: January 1961
727: June 1964
DC-9: March 1966

It was the delivery of these DC-9s that enabled TWA to retire the last Constellations, thus becoming the first US trunk line to go "all jet'.

the 707s and 880s (and even 727s and DC-9s) were flying for TWA well before the last Constellation service in April 1967.
707: March 1959
880: January 1961
727: June 1964

It was the delivery of these DC-9s that enabled TWA to retire the last Constellations, thus becoming the first US trunk line to go "all jet'.

Thanks for the interesting figures. Got any similar dates on AAL?

[quote name='mga707' date='Jan 16 2006, 01:34 PM'

[/quote]

I worked in rez at the time and I remember having to say
TWA, the all-jet airline in my opening and closing. I also recall working at AA during the 1966 strike!

Thanks for the interesting figures. Got any similar dates on AAL?

Sure!

AA jet service introductions:

707: January 1959
720: July 1960
990: March 1962
727: April 1964
BAC-111 ("400 Astrojet'): March 1966

AA's last piston-powered DC-6 was retired from service in December 1966. They continued to fly turboprop Electras for two more years, until December 1968 or January 1969.

Sure!

AA jet service introductions:

707: January 1959
720: July 1960
990: March 1962
727: April 1964
BAC-111 ("400 Astrojet'): March 1966

AA's last piston-powered DC-6 was retired from service in December 1966. They continued to fly turboprop Electras for two more years, until December 1968 or January 1969.

Was the 12-66 the DC-6 date for its retirement from passenger service or service period? I remember they flew as freighters after they were replaced on passenger routes, but can't put any dates on the memory. Got any dates for the Convair recips?

They continued to fly turboprop Electras for two more years, until December 1968 or January 1969.
I recall flying Eastern Electras well into the seventies. They were used on the shuttle flights to BOS and DCA and we would often get them when deadheading up to BOS to do the LHR and CDG flights.

MK

I recall flying Eastern Electras well into the seventies. They were used on the shuttle flights to BOS and DCA and we would often get them when deadheading up to BOS to do the LHR and CDG flights.

MK

Correct recollection. EAL kept a few Electras active as Air-Shuttle backup aircraft until 1977.

Was the 12-66 the DC-6 date for its retirement from passenger service or service period? I remember they flew as freighters after they were replaced on passenger routes, but can't put any dates on the memory. Got any dates for the Convair recips?

The last AA CV-240s were retired in 1964.
While AA did order some DC-6A freighters back in the fifties, it was the DC-7 fleet that was converted to DC-7BF freighter mode after they were retired from passenger service.
The first '7' conversions took place shortly after the 707s replaced them on the transcontinental services in 1959-60. The last DC-7 passenger services were in 1963.
The '7' freighters had all been replaced by new 707-320C airfreighters by early 1967.