Layoffs Are Coming

No word out of LAX yet on how things will work with the mechanics. I do know they will be training them on the ETOPS 757s in the near future.
We were renting hangar space from AA at LAX, but are now moving into the US hangar...which is saving the company about $50,000. a month.

Breath_of_Fresh_USAirways said:
:disguise:
The techs in BWI knew this was coming -- HP is not doing as many checks in BWI as it used to -- the 757's are being modified for ETOPS and are moving to the Hawaii routes and HP won't have as many RON in BWI anymore -- It's not related to the merger -- and the techs were offered other positions -- but, yes, they'd have to move...

:eye:
[post="304609"][/post]​
They would have to move on their own dime, and that alone upsets a lot of people.
People have had enough of chasing after jobs.

acmech said:
They would have to move on their own dime, and that alone upsets a lot of people.
People have had enough of chasing after jobs.
[post="304726"][/post]​

The good folks at HP are novices at this....and I'm trying to discount what took place at CMH or BWI for a nano-second. U mechainics have been relocated out of damn near everywhere with a three digit code assigned to it at some point.

Hmm, Lets give it a whirl. SAN , SYR , ALB , IAD , EWR , ATL , ROC , BUF , UTC, IAH , GSO , INT , ROA , and a number of others that my memory can't serve at this point. The loss of TPA as a base maintenance station in 2002 alone sent a riple through the system that would cross your eyes and boggle your mind. The reductions in the cities that happened to remain were staggering on its own accord.

By and large..HP's Mechanics know nothing about chasing a job....as HP has nerver before been involved in a merger situation. Remember ....US was built from Allegheny, Mohawk, Lake Central , Piedmont , PSA and Empire ....and this is just off the top of my head in regards to a quick response.

Phantom Fixer said:
The good folks at HP are novices at this....and I'm trying to discount what took place at CMH or BWI for a nano-second. U mechainics have been relocated out of damn near everywhere with a three digit code assigned to it at some point.

Hmm, Lets give it a whirl. SAN , SYR , ALB , IAD , EWR , ATL , ROC , BUF , UTC, IAH , GSO , INT , ROA , and a number of others that my memory can't serve at this point. The loss of TPA as a base maintenance station in 2002 alone sent a riple through the system that would cross your eyes and boggle your mind. The reductions in the cities that happened to remain were staggering on its own accord.

By and large..HP's Mechanics know nothing about chasing a job....as HP has nerver before been involved in a merger situation. Remember ....US was built from Allegheny, Mohawk, Lake Central , Piedmont , PSA and Empire ....and this is just off the top of my head in regards to a quick response.
[post="304728"][/post]​

You're so correct Phantom. IMO all the folks at HP are going to go through a complete nighmare in teaming up with U. I know its not their falut and I hope the best for them however in being with U one can't make chicken soup out of chicken crap.

I was at U just after the Peidmont merger, YIKES!! My whole 6 years at U was nothing more than chasing my job....BWI Line, BWI GSE, DCA line, DCA GSE, PHL Line, PHL GSE, CLT Heavy, then back and forth between them all several times. None were because I wanted to move.

U would do a seasonal change of RON a/c in BWI for example, knowing that they would bring back the a/c in a couple of months. Do you think they would just leave the employees there since they would be adding the positions back in short order? Nooooo, lets bump 2 or 3 mechs out....let them bump someone in another station and create a whole freaken mess of peoples lives.

Hell, I guess if U could care less about taking folks retirement that have worked for the company for 30 years why would they care about bumping somene?

I really, really wish you guys at HP the best of luck...sadly I think you're going to need it, sorry.

pitguy74 said:
I thought U needed MECH in BOS and DCA. I am not positive, But I will try to find out.
[post="304750"][/post]​

pitguy74,

I've heard to BOS was short staffed due to a number of retirements...and what seemed to be a wholesale exodus of U Mech's switching over to JetBlue. BOS has also been running unusually lean on stock clerks too.

I have no idea where DCA stands? , but the cost of living in either area would have to be nerve racking while working for a company with so many uncertanties still ahead.

I know a lot of people are thinking that everything is going to be OK....and God knows I'd like to feel that way too...bu the reality of the reduction in U's B737 and Airbus Narrow Body fleet is bound to have a profound impact on staffing levels without any changes or modifications to how U does its contracted work Vs. how Doug Parker may want to have things once things are officially combined.

At its peak U had like 38 mtc stations.When I left 2 years ago they were down to 14.What do they have now?

757fixer said:
At its peak U had like 38 mtc stations.When I left 2 years ago they were down to 14.What do they have now?
[post="304969"][/post]​

(1) CLT
(2) PHL
(3) PIT
(4) BWI
(5) DCA
(6) LGA
(7) BOS
(8) PVD
(9) BDL
(10) LAX
(11) SFO
(12)TPA
(13)MCO
(14) FLL

I believe this about sums it up.

Phantom Fixer said:
(1) CLT
(2) PHL
(3) PIT
(4) BWI
(5) DCA
(6) LGA
(7) BOS
(8) PVD
(9) BDL
(10) LAX
(11) SFO
(12)TPA
(13)MCO
(14) FLL
I believe this about sums it up.
[post="304982"][/post]​

Hey Phatom Fixer, I see you worked RF4Cs? I worked the RF4B's in the USMC, you were AirForce?

Phantom Fixer said:

[post="304728"][/post]​

Not really. By and large, many of the folks AWA hired in recent years came from other airlines who laid off by the thousands in 2001. So the job chasing would be nothing new to many of the mechanics hired after 2001.

airlinedivalish said:
They laid off some people in Corporate Office too in Phoenix ! It's happening in several departments. So much for protecting HP employees!

Our flight passes got reduced too! They reduced our buddypasses from 40 to 8 a year. Not good! :down:

Does anyone know if the buddypasses have expiration ?

[post="305118"][/post]​

:censored:

How many and in what departments were let go at HP corporate in Tempe? Were they offered anything? Severance pay? Other job(s)???

THIS IS BIG NEWS :shock:

airlinedivalish said:
They laid off some people in Corporate Office too in Phoenix ! It's happening in several departments. So much for protecting HP employees!
[post="305118"][/post]​

WNjetdoc said:
"You're so correct Phantom. IMO all the folks at HP are going to go through a complete nighmare in teaming up with U. I know its not their falut and I hope the best for them however in being with U one can't make chicken soup out of chicken crap.
[post="305118"][/post]​

The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling! Everyone run for cover!

Good grief people! This is not a nightmare. It's reality. Reality of the situation is this: The domestic Airline industry is in a tailspin (save one or two airlines). The new US Airways management understands this and has vision to give the combined airline the BEST chance to survive. Will all the components that we start with be in existence 1, 2 or 6 months from now? Who knows, but probably not! Bottom line is DP will do what he thinks will save the MOST jobs AND make the new US Airways a Viable airline. So stop spreading pandamonia. If it's too hot in the kitchen GET OUT! Leave us rationale people to fight the fires. We prefer to fight the fire with a cup half full and not half empty! These attitudes are just getting in the way!

:D Layoffs?....Cutbacks?.....Hee Hee.....is this anything new? We've been going through this now for how many years? Just another day at work! ;)

Latest posts

Back