Leaked: US and UA in merger talks for over a month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continental left open the possibility of changing or forming new alliances, "We have significant cultural, operational and financial strengths compared to the rest of the industry, and we want to protect and enhance those strengths — which we believe would be placed at risk in a merger with another carrier in today's environment," a letter from Continental CEO Larry Kellner and President Jeff Smisek today said.

"We will, however, continue to review potential alliances and our membership in SkyTeam. We are considering alternatives to SkyTeam as we carefully evaluate which major global alliance will be best for Continental over the long term."

SkyTeam is Continental's international alliance that includes Delta and Northwest. The company has strongly hinted it might look to align elsewhere. Possible choices are Star Alliance, which includes United, or perhaps the group led by American Airlines.

story here

us is not an awful airline. it's a great airline with great people. people who work hard everyday to try to make us the best it can be. management on the other hand needs a strong wake up call on how to give the employees the right tools to make that happen.
Awsome reply Right on :up: :up:

Probably being talked out of jumping off a cliff screaming NOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:
Fear not! Someone talked me back from the edge! whew!

But seriously, rather than another diatribe I'll just post here what I said on another thread...

WOW! I'm gone for a few hours and the world implodes!! I better get busy typing! :shock:

OK, first off let's get this out of the way... CO says they will not merge. No one can control what CO's board wants to do, so absent a hostile takeover (which no one was implying) if CO doesn't want to get married, then there is no marriage. Does this prove that LCC was going to merge with UA all along. NO. It proves that CO was UA's first choice, and now UA will move on to other plans.

Am I disappointed? Absolutely. IMO UA/CO deal would have been an incredible powerhouse, a (relatively) painless integration of labor, and I would have loved to had a chance to prove to the East that an equitable integration can happen without DOH and giving up career expectations. I was not wrong that a CO/UA deal was imminent. I was wrong in that no one expected CO to change their mind after having gone so far and so deep as it did with UA. Oh well. Time to move on. I'm the first to admit that this is definitely not how I believed things would unfold.

Now, on to pacemaker's comments. You are correct in stating that no one, and I do mean NO ONE will walk in and take what is ours. So there is no mistake, that comment is directed squarely at the same East pilots who thought that they would fly our 747's and 777's back in 2000. I don't know what our MEC has for contingency plans yet, but I'm sure your comments are accurate with regard to a prenup. Management will not be successful in any merger attemt that does not protect the over 8000 United pilots. UA pilots stand ready to battle to the end if need be. There is always the hope that it won't be necessary, but we have the numbers, the solidarity, and the deep pockets to defend our postion very well. Keep in mind that ALPA has a war chest no longer available to USAirways, and UA ALPA can easily outspend USAPA in any integration battle.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Just because CO decided to remain independent, doesn't make a merger with US predetermined.

1- CO could be playing a very strong poker hand, trying to get a better deal from Tilton. Remember that DL and NW scuttled their merger only to re-announce it a couple of weeks later.

2- UA might realize that it will never have labor peace and decide that taking on US is not worth it.

3- With CO remaining independent, there will only be one mega carrier called Delta. So UA could easily go it alone, since the landscape has not changed that drastically. They might even form an alliance with CO joining STAR.

4- US brings nothing but more domestic capacity to the table. (Something UA is determined to reduce) Where's the benefit? It just doesn't make sense.

5- UA might fall back on plan B and merge with US to avoid having AA grab it.

6- UA and AA could carve up US and split the spoils. (not likely.)

7- UA could cut a deal with Lufthansa for a merger with Jet Blue.

Whatever happens from here on in, it will certainly be a bumpy ride for all. Hang on tight!

Fear not! Someone talked me back from the edge! whew!

But seriously, rather than another diatribe I'll just post here what I said on another thread...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
More of Jetz's anti-US obsession. Jeez, change the record already. We get it, we get it -- you hate US Airways. Point made, point taken. Get some professional help and move on with your friggin' life! :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts