NO MERGER MAYBE LIQUIDATION.......

zflygrl

Advanced
Oct 7, 2005
May 29, 2008
Fitch Ratings on Thursday cut US Airways deeper into junk, citing the growing likelihood of a cash shortfall later this year or in early 2009 due to rising crude and jet fuel prices.

Fitch also said it revised its outlook on United Airlines to negative from stable, which means the likely direction for its rating over the next one or two years is down.

Both actions have been driven by deteriorating operating margins as US airlines struggle to cut costs after fuel prices have more than doubled since the start of 2007.

Fitch cut US Airways rating to "CCC," the eighth lowest junk rating, from "B-minus." The outlook is negative.

"Given the dramatic rise in energy prices and limits on the amount of additional domestic capacity that the airline can remove to respond to the fuel challenge, Fitch believes that the potential for a liquidity squeeze in late 2008 or early 2009 has increased significantly," the agency said.

The downgrade also reflects US Airways' limited flexibility in raising additional cash through asset sales or new financings, it added.

Rising crude oil and jet fuel prices will also put increasing pressure on United's profit margins and its ability to generate cash this year, potentially forcing the carrier to consider asset sales or new financing to shore up liquidity.

Fitch said each 10 cent increase in the average price of jet fuel increases US Airways' annual mainline operating costs by USD$120 million, and its cash position will erode by the first quarter unless fuel prices decline.

Fitch said US Airways had USD$2.1 billion of unrestricted cash and investments at the end of the first quarter. It also has a USD$1.6 billion secured term loan with a minimum liquidity covenant of USD$1.25 billion.

The rating agency said it could further downgrade US Airways in the coming months if a continuation of adverse fuel price trends and weak unit revenue growth increases the likelihood that the airline will breach its term loan liquidity covenant.

The chief executives of both carriers were expected to meet on Thursday to discuss progress in merger talks and address key issues, a source familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.

(Reuters)

May 30, 2008
United Airlines and US Airways said on Friday they would not merge, a decision that experts said effectively kills the chances of further US airline consolidation this year.

The two carriers, the second and sixth largest in the United States, declined to say exactly why they ended the talks that heated up last month after Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines said they would combine to create the world's largest airline.

After racking up USD$35 billion in losses and finally emerging from a five-year slump in 2006, record high fuel costs have plunged US airlines into a new crisis. Some industry leaders had hoped consolidation would lead to capacity cuts and fare increases as a way to offset fuel costs.

US Airways Chief Executive Doug Parker and UAL CEO Glenn Tilton announced their decision in separate messages to employees.

"After a considered review by our board of directors, United has determined that it will not be pursuing a merger at this time due to issues that could significantly dilute benefits from a transaction," Tilton said in the message.

Sources have said union opposition and integration costs torpedoed the deal. Others say UAL shied away from a merger because US Airways lacks a strong international presence.

"It just wasn't the scale of a deal that really solves the problems," airline consultant Robert Mann said, referring to excess capacity in the industry and the dire need for cost cuts and new revenue streams.

Despite mounting pressure to overhaul the industry, carriers are increasingly unlikely to attempt mergers ahead of a US presidential election for fear a new administration could get tougher on antitrust questions and reject some deals that might have got the blessing of the current government.

The whole process would also likely be slowed by related turnover in senior officials at the Department of Justice as they got to grips with the subject matter.

United, however, remains in the spotlight as speculation brews that it soon will announce a comprehensive alliance with Continental Airlines.

Tilton said on Friday that UAL is evaluating other options and would take steps to "size the business appropriately, leverage our capacity discipline to pass on commodity costs to customers and accelerate development of new revenue sources."

Tilton and Parker -- both vocal advocates for consolidation -- left the door open to future deals, but their decision not to proceed seems to erode the chances of broad industry consolidation in the near term.

"It is simply unlikely that anything will happen in 2008 as our industry continues to struggle with how to function in a world with USD$130 a barrel oil prices," Parker said.

Merger speculation has been rampant since Delta and Northwest announced their deal in April. Nearly every possible combination of major airlines was discussed, but United remained front and center on reports that it sought a deal with Continental.

Attention shifted to US Airways as United's most likely merger partner, after Continental said it would not merge with United. Some experts believed a United/US Airways merger would prompt other mergers among the biggest airlines, although the only other two major airlines - American Airlines and Continental -- appear less inclined to merge than their rivals.

"If no one's going to initiate and push, then it's not going to happen," Mann said. "It appears that Parker is pushing, but it's like pushing rope. You have to have a partner that will pull."

(Reuters)

There will be NO liquidation. Didn't you hear that flight attendants will be armed with handheld units to charge you for everything but inflight oxygen? Rest assured my friend that Usairways will soar into the skies on top of the world and light years ahead of the competition. :lol:

US Airways is among vulnerable airlines
Small size, limited assets put company at risk, experts say
Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 1, 2008 12:00 AM

When their efforts to buy Delta Air Lines failed 14 months ago, US Airways executives returned their attention to a long list of challenges, from union negotiations to a new reservations system.

Those may turn out to be minor compared with the looming financial crisis the Tempe-based airline faces as it moves on after the collapse of merger talks with United Airlines last week.

An unprecedented spike in oil prices, combined with a weak economy, threatens to send several carriers to the brink of bankruptcy or liquidation by the end of this year or early next year, analysts say. advertisement

US Airways is seen as among the most vulnerable of the major airlines, given its relatively small size, route network and limited assets to sell to raise cash.

One analyst last week listed US Airways among three carriers with "very large" losses forecast for this year and next.

Last month, another rated US Airways as having the highest bankruptcy risk among the major airlines.

Chief Executive Officer Doug Parker saw a merger with United as both airlines' best chance of weathering the storm, given the flight cutbacks, cost cutting and new sales opportunities that come by combining two airlines.

US Airways and America West saw early financial success and a soaring stock price after their 2005 merger.

With the United deal out as an option and no other merger talks on the horizon, US Airways now must move quickly to prepare for the unforeseen reality of exorbitant fuel prices.

"They need to batten down the hatches and look to do some of the same things everyone else is doing," said Jim Corridore, airline-equity analyst for ratings agency Standard & Poor's.

American, for example, recently announced that it plans to cut seat capacity by 11 to 12 percent and ground planes after the busy summer travel season, a move likely to impact thousands of employees. It is also the first airline to start charging for the first checked bag, effective June 15.

Hardly a day goes by without an airline's announcing a cost-cutting or money-raising move to offset the staggering impact of fuel.

In addition to flight cutbacks, airlines are deferring aircraft orders, increasing fees on everything from pets in the cabin to unaccompanied minors and adding new fees such as American's first-checked-bag charge.

US Airways executives, who declined to be interviewed, have already trimmed the airline's flights in the second half of the year but nothing to the extent of American.

They have started selling prime window and aisle seats and today stopped serving pretzels and snack mixes on U.S. flights.

The airline has repeatedly told employees in recent months that the fuel crisis dictates a new way of doing business.

Parker reiterated that again in a memo to employees Friday confirming the end of merger talks.

"We are working a number of initiatives, and you'll hear more about them in the weeks and months ahead," he said.

On the revenue side, US Airways is said to be seriously considering charging for soft drinks ($3) and pillows and blankets ($5 apiece.)

United CEO Glenn Tilton sounded similar, although more ominous, themes in his message to employees Friday announcing that a merger was out for United.

He said the U.S. airline industry is facing a $20 billion increase in its fuel bill, with United's portion $3.5 billion.

"It's clear that the status quo is not sustainable," Tilton said. "The magnitude of the challenge the industry faces demands unprecedented change."

He said the airline had already taken significant steps, including grounding 30 aircraft, and reducing capacity by 9 percent in the fall.

"That said, we must do more, and that work is under way," he said.

Corridore said the industry needs to shrink the number of available seats by about 25 percent if oil prices stay where they are.

Ray Neidl, airline analyst with Calyon Securities, puts the figure at 20 percent of domestic seat capacity and notes that that's the equivalent of all the seats US Airways, Continental and Frontier have in the United States, combined.

Parker doesn't paint as bleak a financial picture for US Airways as analysts do. He has repeatedly said the airline is sitting relatively pretty, given its $2.4 billion in unrestricted cash at the end of the first quarter and refinancings that pushed its major debt repayments into the future.

"We have more cash relative to size than most of our peers and have fewer obligations coming due in the next few years," he told employees in the memo Friday.

Still, others are concerned.

Credit ratings agency Fitch Ratings last week downgraded the airline's debt ratings, among other airlines'. The firm said US Airways is more sensitive to swings in the price of jet fuel because its trips are shorter than many of its competitors, estimating that each 10 cent change in the per-gallon price represents another $120 million in annual operating costs.

Fitch said the airline has less flexibility in its pilot union contracts to cut capacity this year.

Others say US Airways has fewer options for raising money. According to JP Morgan airline analyst Jamie Baker, US Airways' biggest assets are Embraer regional jets (estimated at $65 million to $70 million) and airport landing and takeoff slots in the Washington, D.C., area (less than $75 million).

Many moons ago I said..."don't mess with the management of USA......" they have made their money and quite frankly they don't give a hoot about you. You can post all the flippant responses you want...BUT don't underestimate DP and his merry band of thugs. They learned from one of the best tyrannical CEO's in this industry. They have become the new
"deviants of the business world". Beware of apathetic attitudes. :ph34r:

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another "THE SKY IS FALLING" thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeezus people......... It's pathetic already.

There will be NO liquidation. Didn't you hear that flight attendants will be armed with handheld units to charge you for everything but inflight oxygen?
Now that was a good one. The oxygen must be payed for before departure, and is set up by the trusty "oxygen desk!"

I wonder how much they charge if some one has a heart attack? Charging per jolt for the automatic defibrilator is soon to follow!

One thing I've noticed about US is that it doesn't seem to die! No matter how bad it gets its still around. lol

Many moons ago I said..."don't mess with the management of USA......" they have made their money and quite frankly they don't give a hoot about you. You can post all the flippant responses you want...BUT don't underestimate DP and his merry band of thugs. They learned from one of the best tyrannical CEO's in this industry. They have become the new
Can you please include a link to anything you have posted that would reflect this warning. Researching the history of your posts I could only find evidence of your cheer leading in regards to doug parker and his management team.

So..umm..what's your suggested behavior then, for all the insignificant little employees? Have heart attacks?.....actually...umm..what's your point, if any, overall? = "Auntie Em..It's a Twister!!"? :rolleyes:

My best suggestion to any/all is to be prepared for this place to become history, should it ultimately fail and become such, and never trust to a "career" in aviation in any case. One might as well try Hollywood or politics for "stability" these days. Seems simple enough. Why get all bent outta' shape fretting over "what if" issues otherwise? Doing that kind of BS's just a prescription for health issues and insanity. Airline folks (at least the line workers), aren't morons....and will survive regardless.

And your point is what. ????

I can't completely guess as to another's thinking..but: I'll take "Wanton Hypocrisy" for a $1,000. It seems that AWA was the One True Messiah for all of US..and now?.."The Sky is Falling!..Oh Dear!"

zflygrl: '"...one, you us airways pilots should be happy AWA wanted to grow....and one other thing....if not for this merger...you would all be out working for the likes of mesa..ryan..omni..etc. I have told my husband if he gets screwed be this merger I shall get all the wives together and sue ALPA for not protecting his seniority or his future...."

And now? = There's apparently....no "future"? :shock: No matter = I've got to admit that the funniest part was "you would all be out working for the likes of mesa"..as if the employees here aren't already ;)

No matter, I've no desire to hijack any thread, and enough of the "pilot stuff". The point I have is that all should be flexible with future expectations, and strive to set up conditions wherein they can be ok...regardless of this place.

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another "THE SKY IS FALLING" thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeezus people......... It's pathetic already.

Go back to watching Dancing with the Stars. No need to concern yourself with anything happening in the real world.

Before you know it oil will be back to $50 a barrel.

Go back to watching Dancing with the Stars. No need to concern yourself with anything happening in the real world.

Before you know it oil will be back to $50 a barrel.

Traderjake...I've given it some thought.and..well..you're right. No sarifice is too great, nor any paranoia misplaced. I'm going to actually start paying the company so that I can come to work, volunteer for 30 hour "days" just like during wartime...and I've even hired a shrink to teach me how to fear every possible future event, or even small shadows...and he gave me your number for "counseling" along those lines..I hope you don't mind sir :lol: Meanwhile..before the prescribed drugs, shock "therapy" and induced FEAR sets in...It's back to Dancing With the Stars..thank you very much for the suggestion ;)

There, there trader..just take a breath...it'll be ok...no matter what..you'll probably even survive ;)