Less 757s At Mia...

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Word is that, with the winter schedule, we MIA will be seeing a lot less 757 flying and more 738s. As many may know, the San Francisco 738 pilot base is closing, and all those pilots are moving to Miami. AA is simplifying its pilot bases and aircraft flying, and the rumour is MIA will be seeing the bulk of 738 flying once again, with 757s going more to point-to-point routes with LCC compietition (which they already used on some routes, like JFK-LGB/PHX; FLL-LAX/LGA) and to O'Hare, to prepare more capacity for what will be a potential cut in frequencies.

Anybody here know more?

I'm hearing the S80 will stop flying in/out MIA and be replaced with the 737.

It's really not a bad idea since S80 pilots aren't based there.

I disagree that MIA will see the bulk of the 738 flying again. It may see more, but not enough to make a sizable dent in ORD's flying. In the winter, MIA is a leisure market for a lot of the USA, and 757s make sense for that kind of flying. AA's 738s are ideal for business-heavy routes, and I suspect that plenty of ORD business-type routes will still see 738s.

AA only has to cancel or move 17 arrivals that currently fall between Noon and 2000; that's only 2 per hour, so I think the rumors of upguaging ORD aircraft are premature.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/040818/airlines_ohare_flights_3.html

But, historically, you have been correct much more often than I have, so the rumors you have heard may be correct (unless you're talking about AAFA's rumor on that other board). :)

MAH4546 said:
Word is that, with the winter schedule, we MIA will be seeing a lot less 757 flying and more 738s. As many may know, the San Francisco 738 pilot base is closing, and all those pilots are moving to Miami. AA is simplifying its pilot bases and aircraft flying, and the rumour is MIA will be seeing the bulk of 738 flying once again, with 757s going more to point-to-point routes with LCC compietition (which they already used on some routes, like JFK-LGB/PHX; FLL-LAX/LGA) and to O'Hare, to prepare more capacity for what will be a potential cut in frequencies.

Anybody here know more?
[post="170590"][/post]​
To my horror, for bidding purpose's The number of 757 lines already for SEPT has gone way down. The number of 737 is way up.

FA Mikey said:
To my horror, for bidding purpose's The number of 757 lines already for SEPT has gone way down. The number of 737 is way up.
[post="170611"][/post]​

So I'm assuming that means that the less 757/more 738 @ MIA thing is true?

MAH4546 said:
So I'm assuming that means that the less 757/more 738 @ MIA thing is true?
[post="170654"][/post]​

My personal feeling is they can get rid of the S80 trips with out-of-base pilots and use the 737 for MIA-based pilot turns. Hopefully, it means 88 forced-transferred MIA F/As can finally come home.

The communications we in STL have received from the Western Division Manager seem to indicate this. He stated that the way they are flying S80's out of MIA is very inefficient and they would like to get us home but they are unable to build more lines on the S80.

I was shocked that they would shift the 737 (a newer airplane) to MIA and the S80 to ORD because of the business traveler. Then I thought about it and realized that what our premium travelers truly care about is expanded overhead bin space, an aisle seat, and a powerport. They are working, they are not watching "CBS Eye on American". With the S80, the probability of an aisle seat (if you have to sit in Main Cabin) is much greater.

So the leisure traveler purchases the headsets and there is a simplification of operations and utilization...sounds like a win-win to me.

I am scared to see what the 73's will look like in 3 years after the MIA effect though! They are so pristine now!

Coop

As I am doing the bid sheet I see that the main reason at least for now, there is so many 737 lines is that they are mixed with 757. I am sure though we will see an increase. I hope in overall flying. Since they are over selling all over the place I dont see how they plan to reduce the number of seats.

FA Mikey said:
As I am doing the bid sheet I see that the main reason at least for now, there is so many 737 lines is that they are mixed with 757. I am sure though we will see an increase. I hope in overall flying. Since they are over selling all over the place I dont see how they plan to reduce the number of seats.
[post="170741"][/post]​

Mikey,

I swear, suck it up and go to 737 training...imagine the same galleys with an S80 pax load...it is WORTH IT. Y/C has the same galley as the 757 (with about 40-50 less paxs...that's where F/C sticks their garbage...literal garbage, I meant).

F/C galley sucked initially with 20 paxs but now it is down to 14-16 (I'm not sure now, I am in the S80 ghetto now).

Do you think with the "mixed" lines, they might be trying to force people to qual on the 73?

Coop

Coop makes some excellent points.

Several years ago, when many ORD-West Coast flights were flown by MD-80s, AA added 6 F seats to a bunch of them to give more upgrade opportunities to business travelers.

Then the 738s showed up, AA configured them with 20 F seats, and they gradually replaced most (all?) MD-80 ORD-West Coast flights. The MD-80s all go back to 14F/125Y.

Last year, AA cuts the 738s back to 16 F seats, adds two more rows of coach, and suddenly the 738 and the MD-80 aren't all that far apart in the percentage of seats devoted to F. F seats comprise 11.27% of the total on 738s, and 10% on the MD-80s.

Of course, the F seats are narrower on the MD-80 than on the 738, but the coach seats are wider on the MD-80 (plus the much higher probability of not being in, or being next to, an occupied middle seat on the MD-80).

So if MD-80s replace 738s on lots of business-heavy routes out of ORD, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But for God's sake, please don't start flying a bunch of LRTC 757s out of ORD on business-dominated routes. B)

FWAAA said:
be the end of the world.

But for God's sake, please don't start flying a bunch of LRTC 757s out of ORD on business-dominated routes. B)
[post="170762"][/post]​

If they do that, I will have some real problems ( I tend to work F/C). I think they know what they are doing...I hope to God this is so.

Coop

p.s. the 75's should be reserved for Las Vegas, New Orleans, Orlando and any other FLA destination.

flydcoop said:
I was shocked that they would shift the 737 (a newer airplane) to MIA and the S80 to ORD because of the business traveler. Then I thought about it and realized that what our premium travelers truly care about is expanded overhead bin space, an aisle seat, and a powerport. They are working, they are not watching "CBS Eye on American". With the S80, the probability of an aisle seat (if you have to sit in Main Cabin) is much greater.

[post="170725"][/post]​

I wouldn't underestimate business traffic out of MIA. Those that look for a bargain in Miami are flying out of Fort Lauderdale. Miami caters to the business travelers in the area, and with AA having LCC compietition on only two MIA routes (LAS and ATL; and indirectly to MDW), fares aren't cheap. Even though MIA is very expensive for airlines to operate into/out of, yield margins are very high.

Though what you say is very true. I personally perfer the 738, but the points you make regarding the S80s' business-passenger friendliness make sense.

I wouldn't worry about seeing 757s on much ORD flying. I think you will be seeing it dominating flights out of Ft. Lauderdale, Vegas, Orlando, and Tampa, and with heavy LCC compietition.

flydcoop said:
If they do that, I will have some real problems ( I tend to work F/C). I think they know what they are doing...I hope to God this is so.

Coop

p.s. the 75's should be reserved for Las Vegas, New Orleans, Orlando and any other FLA destination.
[post="170773"][/post]​

================================================

Coop,

Hang in there "kid".
I forsee the day that your workin' F/C on the 777, and 7E7 :up: :D :up:

NH/BB's

Latest posts

Back