Letter To The Editor In Today's Star Telegram

orwell

Advanced
Nov 21, 2003
Hey - check out this retiree dude's letter. I can almost picture him at breakfast, eagerly pouring over the business section in the morning paper in search of bad news about AA as he drools in his oatmeal....

As a retired American Airlines captain, by way of the takeover of TWA, I'd like to comment on the Feb. 22 Page One story "A new flight plan." The sentence that prompted me to write was: "In the cockpit, Capt. Byron Smith keeps a closer eye on fuel conservation by carefully monitoring the airplane's altitude and airspeed."

Been there with TWA. Inept management is the cause of declining airline profitability, and it tries to impress on the working stiffs the need to economize -- except in the boardrooms and corporate offices.

In 1986, I and all other TWA captains, except those in management, took a 40 percent pay cut to save TWA. It didn't work, of course, and I knew it wouldn't, so I retired the following year.

Corporate raider Carl Icahn took over TWA with junk bonds and turned it into a junk airline. He sold gates throughout the system, making TWA uncompetitive and a target for acquisition by American Airlines. Meanwhile, Icahn -- the savior of TWA, according to company propaganda -- pocketed $61 million for himself.

I decided to give the passengers something. I offered complimentary liquor on every flight I flew for a year. The passengers were delighted.

Management finally noticed after 10 months, and I was asked in November why I had given away about $82,000 worth of liquor in October alone. My answer was simple: As captain, I was authorized to do so. I retired two months later after 30 years with TWA.

Others scrimped and saved, took minimum fuel and tried to save TWA from itself, which of course was to no avail.

So, all you good, loyal crews, keep doing your best for dear old American Airlines: Forget the lessons of TWA, don't dare point a finger at management as the real problem, and good luck.

It's great to be retired. I hope you make it, but don't hold your breath.

Ed Toner, Brick, N.J.

Link

orwell said:
Hey - check out this retiree dude's letter. I can almost picture him at breakfast, eagerly pouring over the business section in the morning paper in search of bad news about AA as he drools in his oatmeal....
Orwell, aren't you being a little unkind here? Someday you will be old and retired and apprehensive about your financial future. You might even drool, too.

Actually, he makes a pretty good point.

And, BTW, it's "PORING over the business section", not pouring.

Wretched Wrench said:
orwell said:
Orwell, aren't you being a little unkind here? Someday you will be old and retired and apprehensive about your financial future. You might even drool, too.

Actually, he makes a pretty good point.

And, BTW, it's "PORING over the business section", not pouring.
Good catch on the "poring" bit, although his dribble could be said to be pouring in the li'l vignette I posited - mayhap that's what tripped me up.

If you think dropping 80K a month on free booze is a "good point," then I hope you stick to correcting usage problems rather than making decisions of financial import for AA.

Thanks for the grammar correction, though.

Maybe his point was to try to remember that airlines are in the service business, and that with out a little goodwill towards them, airlines are nothing. I think it's safe to assume that just about every legacy carrier's board room has lost site of that.....Or maybe he was just PO'd at having to give up 40%, and decided to to screw the company over. :rolleyes:

Kev3188 said:
Maybe his point was to try to remember that airlines are in the service business, and that with out a little goodwill towards them, airlines are nothing. I think it's safe to assume that just about every legacy carrier's board room has lost site of that.....Or maybe he was just PO'd at having to give up 40%, and decided to to screw the company over. :rolleyes:
I think you're probably right on both parts. Still, let's say there are 5,000 active pilots, (of course there are more) and they all take it upon themselves to give away 80 grand a month in free liquor. That would be 4,800,000,000 or $4.8 billion a year - which is simply ridiculous, I'm sure you'd agree.

To openly "sabotage" a company like that and then whine in your oatmeal (sorry, still stuck on that image) about what an evil company AA is (a company that had nothing to do with the evil Icahn and his pillaging of TW) strikes me as someone who is probably not playing with a full deck or is simply rooting for bad news to befall AA out of bitterness, as I originally suggested.

Granted, there's no excuse for mgmt. blunders, but giving away the store to the customer ain't the way to register your discontent.

orwell said:
To openly "sabotage" a company like that and then whine in your oatmeal (sorry, still stuck on that image) about what an evil company AA is (a company that had nothing to do with the evil Icahn and his pillaging of TW) strikes me as someone who is probably not playing with a full deck or is simply rooting for bad news to befall AA out of bitterness, as I originally suggested.
What is also conveniently forgotten here is that at the time (1986), Uncle Carl was seen by most if not nearly all TWAers as the (slightly) lesser of two evils, the other being Lorenzo/Texas Air Corp. There was no way of escaping one or the other.
The feeling was that either one would rape you, but hopefully Ichan would at least smile at you and tell you you're pretty...

The story sounded familiar to me, so I did a quick search.
See?

Might want to think about what you say on a public board...never know who's reading.

AAAAHHH.....now I know why TWA failed...........They were paying way too much for their liquor, and upper management was accepting kickbacks from the supplier.

Has anyone run the numbers on $80,000 per month? How many trips did he fly and how much booze did TWA carry on one flight and what did they pay for it?

You are assuming those "minis" actually cost $5 (or $4 then)...they don't. They cost about a quarter. So actually, he was probably not giving much, they (mgmt) just wanted more........sounds familiar. God forbid they encourage the customers to enjoy themselves and want to fly the airline again! :blink:

I have to admit that we were pretty generous with the free drinks, we even raffled off bottles of wine and champagne. $82,000 is pretty much over the top and probably an exageration but I personally think the loss in "a little" liquor revenue couldnt compare to how happy we made the passengers. Warm vs Cold...what a concept.

TWAnr Posted on Mar 4 2004, 08:44 AM
QUOTE (mweiss @ Mar 3 2004, 09:28 PM)
The story sounded familiar to me, so I did a quick search.

A quick Google search on Ed Toner, Brick, NJ, is a real eye opener.

:ph34r: Yikes...I guess he won't be inviting me for tea.

Wow...Mr. Toner has a lot of time on his hands! :blink:

--Fly...what the ___ did that guy throw at the gal? That's funny!

Latest posts