letter to nmb

Status
Not open for further replies.

never give up

Oct 31, 2010
Dear Ms. Dougherty, Ms. Puchala, Mr. Hoglander, and all other esteemed members of

the National Mediation Board:
I write to inform a few facts.
On Oct. 31, 2010 I left voicemail messages for all of you dear members of the NMB

Board.
APFA, the American Airlines flight attendant union, stapled about 4000 TWA flight

attendants (FA) below their 20,000 strong FA workforce in 2003.
All 4000 of us were furloughed in early 2003. Since then, the eight years have been

challenging and gut wrenching at best. Suicides, foreclosures, financial devastation,

divorces, chronic unemployment, removing kids from colleges, inability to care for aging

parents, life threatening illnesses without the cushion of insurance were some of our

hardships.
When APFA pulled the rug from underneath our feet, a lot of us were on the threshold

of retirement, hence finding employment at that stage in life was difficult.
Both AA and TWA flight attendant departments consisted of mainly the female gender,

my point being that, APFA which claims to stand up for women's rights did not even

blink after ruining the careers/lives/livelihood of TWA women.
Next came the more humane gesture from my brothers/sisters at APFA. We are

required to pay union dues while out on the street or else our right to vote is crushed.
The cherry topping on this sweet tale of union equality (or lack thereof) was utilizing our

online seniority as hygiene paper. Or simply put, a TWA lady with 43 years seniority had

to begin from scratch. Or better yet, this poor soul was stapled under a kid with two

years of online seniority.
Other AA divisions (pilots, mechanics, gate agents, etc.) rescued or even salvaged a

portion of their seniority, wages and careers. We, the ex TWA flight attendants salvaged

absolutely nothing as these groups to this day look away in silence, as they claim yet

more for themselves. True human spirit of love and sharing. I guess we do not fall under

the mantle of working families.
Our heath insurance/travel/pension benefits which were accrued for decades vaporized.

I guess that too qualifies as hardship.
An AA FA retiring today averages a few thousand dollars monthly while the TWA

counterpart is lucky to qualify for a few hundred. Hardship? I guess so.
Today APFA stages a letter writing campaign to the NMB board to describe their

sorrow. I empathize with them for averaging US $ 40,000 with basic flying and the

earning potential could easily reach 50K to 60K.
I came to America 31 years ago. It still remains the most beautiful nation on this planet.

I refuse to be a victim but I delight in striving for the truth.
So kindly view their campaign of sorrow with the love it deserves.
Or how about a sweet suggestion to these fine ladies/gentlemen about granting us back,

what rightfully has been ours all along, our online seniority.
Do, please, share this with AA/APFA management.
This message is written with zero malice and complete forgiveness because the final

mediation will be in the hands of the Board that counts most, ''The Board Above.''
I am proud of my TWA family for facing this hardship/challenge with class.
May God bless America.
Thank you for listening. I hope our communication endures. We have been listening to

'silence' for almost a decade.
Best wishes to the NMB Board, AA, and APFA.
Respecfully,
'Still here'
:)

Dear Ms. Dougherty, Ms. Puchala, Mr. Hoglander, and all other esteemed members of

the National Mediation Board:
I write to inform a few facts.
On Oct. 31, 2010 I left voicemail messages for all of you dear members of the NMB

Board.
.... We have been listening to

'silence' for almost a decade.
Best wishes to the NMB Board, AA, and APFA.
Respecfully,
'Still here'
:)

I hope this is a rough draft of the letter you are preparing. Sometimes it is best to write something, put it aside for a few days, then read it again prior to sending it.

Good luck on your cause/case.

As if the NMB cares about that "dead horse". Seriously, why haven't you moved on? Just because one uses religious undertones doesn't condone the slander or make them religious in any way. Time to worry about something you have control over and hasn't been cemented in stone years ago. The whole tone comes off as somone with an axe to grind/vendetta. I thought we were past this a few years ago. I guess they continue to sprout to the surface from time to time.

"Bitterness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."

I feel for you as I know what that cup tastes like, but it is time to move on. My prayers are with you.

Hmmm.................Delta's never stapled........................even without unions ! Guess unions are not the end all to be all after all !

Uh, what is this letter out to achieve, other than to show ignorance of the NMB's role?

Their role is to mediate between the union and the company. The union has sole reign over union seniority, and the company honors that without question.

If the NMB were to get involved in disputes *within* a union, they'd never have time to deal with union/company matters....

I've got nothing against the TWA employees. I feel their pain. Believe me, I do. But the constant whiners have got to move on. They are not the only ones who have suffered. As an AA employee I've been furloughed three times. I've had my salary and contract slashed and gutted along with everyone else. Unemployment checks didn't provide enough money to live my already meager life. I had to file bankruptcy. I couldn't afford to pay for COBRA. I ended up in the hospital with a life-threatening illness because I couldn't afford my required daily medication. AA hired me nine years ago but I just last month hit my 5-year pay scale due to all my furlough time. I would gladly trade my already junior seniority for what the TWA F/A's have: even less seniority but at the topped-out pay scale! They've had their recall rights extended and they're coming back at top pay. I'd say they're in a pretty lucky situation.

I've got nothing against the TWA employees. I feel their pain. Believe me, I do. But the constant whiners have got to move on. They are not the only ones who have suffered. As an AA employee I've been furloughed three times. I've had my salary and contract slashed and gutted along with everyone else. Unemployment checks didn't provide enough money to live my already meager life. I had to file bankruptcy. I couldn't afford to pay for COBRA. I ended up in the hospital with a life-threatening illness because I couldn't afford my required daily medication. AA hired me nine years ago but I just last month hit my 5-year pay scale due to all my furlough time. I would gladly trade my already junior seniority for what the TWA F/A's have: even less seniority but at the topped-out pay scale! They've had their recall rights extended and they're coming back at top pay. I'd say they're in a pretty lucky situation.

Hopefully American Airlines can turn the corner, grow, earn some money, keep the good pay and benefits for its employees, recall everyone, hire new employees and never have to furlough you ever again. Good luck.

I second that motion.
Really, truly, severely hurts, doesn't it?
For those of you hateful unionists, let me speak your language to clarify;
My point being, ''AA unions are demanding the 100th item added to their buffet, while blocking the doors of a soup kitchen.''
Get it?
If any financial or other gain was made on the backs of us, you'll never get to enjoy it, in any shape or form.
Or let's try this:
Elderly parens move in with their child because of hardship. After a short time, the kid throws them out. Parents appeal to the courts for justice. Legally the parents lose. Legally 100% right, morally 1000% wrong.
How can AA unions go with a bowl in hand and ask for more hen they know they have decimated careers and lives.
Not mean, not bitter, just factual.
Just like a typical unionist, asking the modeator to silence us. Really classyand very American, indeed.
Still here baby.
Karma.

I am closing this thread, not because it was asked of the team, but because this site has been down the AA vs. TW road 1000 times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.