Letter To The Editor - PIT Post Gaz.

Regarding US Airways potentially leaving the PIT airport.

Isnt Pittsburgh getting exactly what it wants? For literally years we have all heard the moaning and complaining from the residents of this city regarding the stratospherically high cost of flying out of the Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.

Time and again the newspaper and other media outlets, dismissed the benefits of being able to fly virtually anywhere in the country non-stop, and complained about spending a few extra dollars for the privilege. The mayor would not even support the hometown airline. Instead he drove to Cleveland to fly America''s favorite cattle-car airline.

Pittsburghers are quick to remark that Southwest would most certainly open a large PIT operation should US Airways close up shop and move away. Some seem to think they might even open a vast hub providing the citizens of the Burgh'' with an armada of $99 fares to cities throughout the land. After all, why wouldn''t they? Pittsburgh has a half-dozen stadiums and a tunnel which works...some of the time.

Dont buy into the hype folks. Pittsburgh is a hub BECAUSE of US Airways, not in spite of it. If US Airways were to leave tomorrow the Pittsburgh airport would be left a great white elephant in Findley township. You would have unrestricted access to the hubs of almost every other major airline -- Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Memphis, Cincinnati -- but you would not have the vast nonstop service that you enjoy today. Indeed even if Southwest were to come to Pittsburgh they would serve only a handful of cities. But Southwest isnt coming. They have no fear of US Airways -- if they thought they could make money in Pittsburgh they would have been here long ago.

Unfortunately the goose that laid the golden eggs and provided this region with thousands of jobs and valuable links to business centers throughout the country is on life support. The Pittsburgh airport is a beautiful facility, no question about it, the finest in the country, but it isn''t a hub without US Airways.

So the same city that builds Stadiums as if money grew on trees and who balked at the idea of building a maintenance facility to keep jobs in the community will finally get its wish. It will price itself out of the market and the largest employer in the area will leave -- taking all of its service and all of its employees with it.

Pittsburgh will be left with the hope that Southwest finds it convenient and profitable to start service to Baltimore and Nashville for $99 one-way. I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Seems like a fair trade.

Furloughed US Airways Employee
Coraopolis, PA

AMEN AMEN..Stated so beautifully.....Somebody finally had the guts to REALLY tell it like it is. Pittsburgh never supported US..i''ve been here for 22 years and can VIVIDLY remember when Ed Colodny was trying to get the city fathers to "pitch in" for the airport.,they stalled for a year..He threatened to move the whole operation to INDY...ohh 20/20 insight, but INDy - pre SouthWst invasion- would have been a great alternative!....So whats next, will PIT acquiesce and FINALLY support US.??. I highly doubt it.... So Dave, whats next...shrink to a regional... Lets see USAIRWAYS...the biggest regional airline in thw world!!!!

I landed last night at 6:45 pm at the Pittsburgh Airport. I am a Captain, and what I beheld was breathtaking. Everything, I mean everything was shut down. At 7pm, there was only 1 departure left leaving for Charlotte. The terminal was deserted, the vendors were shut down, and it looked like someone had nuked the place.

Even on the drive home, the roads were empty.

The spillover effect of USAirways leaving Pittsburgh will make beleivers of those of you who doubt the validity of "trickle down economics".

With no airport traffic, even the fast food joints in Robinson were empty. Something to consider.....

As a resident of North Fayette township, I didn''t support paying for the stadiums. And I also don''t know what fast food joints you are going to, but all the ones I see are doing fine. I don''t support propping up USAirways either. It will be unfortunate when my neighbors lose their jobs and the effect ripples through the rest of the economy, but the better analogy is we put all our eggs in one basket before (Big Steel) and we are still trying to ''reinvent'' ourself as that dinosaur went away. We need to not make the mistake with the next dinosaur (USAirways) and just let it go. It''ll be hard times, the airport will suffer and I won''t be surprised to see half or more of it unused (as I hear happened to other secondary airports). A lot of employees will have to retrain and get other jobs, and I would support providing them government assistance. But enough of this corporate handout to the equivalent of a dying, elderly man on an IV feed.

A letter to the PG is nice and fine but I would suggest writing the County Exec.. give the opposing opinion to my letter:
Jim Roddey
101 County Courthouse
436 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

PS, For the record I don''t think Southwest is coming to Pittsburgh any time in the near future, with or without USAirways. I think if USAirways left or downsized further, I would expect more niche airlines like ATA to show up rather than a Southwest.

PIT has always been the "sacred cow". I''m glad to see that it too is vulnerable to the axe. If PIT wants a RJ hub they may get it, if not...
I guess we really do have businessmen running U for once.

----------------
On 4/9/2003 7:48:53 PM pitflyer wrote:

As a resident of North Fayette township, I didn''t support paying for the stadiums. And I also don''t know what fast food joints you are going to, but all the ones I see are doing fine. I don''t support propping up USAirways either. It will be unfortunate when my neighbors lose their jobs and the effect ripples through the rest of the economy, but the better analogy is we put all our eggs in one basket before (Big Steel) and we are still trying to ''reinvent'' ourself as that dinosaur went away. We need to not make the mistake with the next dinosaur (USAirways) and just let it go. It''ll be hard times, the airport will suffer and I won''t be surprised to see half or more of it unused (as I hear happened to other secondary airports). A lot of employees will have to retrain and get other jobs, and I would support providing them government assistance. But enough of this corporate handout to the equivalent of a dying, elderly man on an IV feed.

A letter to the PG is nice and fine but I would suggest writing the County Exec.. give the opposing opinion to my letter:
Jim Roddey
101 County Courthouse
436 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

PS, For the record I don''t think Southwest is coming to Pittsburgh any time in the near future, with or without USAirways. I think if USAirways left or downsized further, I would expect more niche airlines like ATA to show up rather than a Southwest.

----------------​
I really worry when local residents make this type of statement. When the hotels and "fast food joints" start to shut as a result of a major employer leaving this will cause a ripple effect through out the area. It may not effect you at first but when the real estate tax base starts to erode and the real estate markets gets flooded, your taxes go up and the value of your property goes down, then you may begin to care. Just be careful what you wish for......Many communities would love to have Usair and the employees.

----------------
On 4/9/2003 3:25:18 PM Furloughedagain wrote:

"Regarding US Airways potentially leaving the PIT airport."

Isnt Pittsburgh getting exactly what it wants? For literally years we have all heard the moaning and complaining from the residents of this city regarding the stratospherically high cost of flying out of the Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.

Time and again the newspaper and other media outlets, dismissed the benefits of being able to fly virtually anywhere in the country non-stop, and complained about spending a few extra dollars for the privilege. The mayor would not even support the hometown airline. Instead he drove to Cleveland to fly America''s favorite cattle-car airline.

Pittsburghers are quick to remark that Southwest would most certainly open a large PIT operation should US Airways close up shop and move away. Some seem to think they might even open a vast hub providing the citizens of the Burgh'' with an armada of $99 fares to cities throughout the land. After all, why wouldn''t they? Pittsburgh has a half-dozen stadiums and a tunnel which works...some of the time.

Dont buy into the hype folks. Pittsburgh is a hub BECAUSE of US Airways, not in spite of it. If US Airways were to leave tomorrow the Pittsburgh airport would be left a great white elephant in Findley township. You would have unrestricted access to the hubs of almost every other major airline -- Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Memphis, Cincinnati -- but you would not have the vast nonstop service that you enjoy today. Indeed even if Southwest were to come to Pittsburgh they would serve only a handful of cities. But Southwest isnt coming. They have no fear of US Airways -- if they thought they could make money in Pittsburgh they would have been here long ago.

Unfortunately the goose that laid the golden eggs and provided this region with thousands of jobs and valuable links to business centers throughout the country is on life support. The Pittsburgh airport is a beautiful facility, no question about it, the finest in the country, but it isn''t a hub without US Airways.

So the same city that builds Stadiums as if money grew on trees and who balked at the idea of building a maintenance facility to keep jobs in the community will finally get its wish. It will price itself out of the market and the largest employer in the area will leave -- taking all of its service and all of its employees with it.

Pittsburgh will be left with the hope that Southwest finds it convenient and profitable to start service to Baltimore and Nashville for $99 one-way. I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Seems like a fair trade.

Furloughed US Airways Employee
Coraopolis, PA

----------------​
I was furloughed about 10 years ago from U. Took the opportunity to work for Southwest Airlines in BWI. I Still live in PIT and commute. I would love to see PIT follow BWI''s lead. Although I choose to commute. There''s a lot of native Pittsburghers here waiting for them to make that move so we all can come home.
Southwest is a Dallas rooted Company but they care deeply about their employees and the communities they work in. This ethic makes us successful anywhere. PIT needs Southwest. It shouldn''t be held hostage by those who are busy padding there pockets at the expense employees/customers.

I''m new here to post but could not help but throw in this observation. If U is wanting to renegotiate PIT factilites as they are too costly, why would anyone expect a low cost carrier such as Southwest or ATA to be ready in the wings to step in and take over PIT?

I highly doubt that other carriers (especially low cost ones) are beating down the doors of Allegheny Co Airport officials as if they are ready to step in and pay the same rates that U has been paying.
The industry is changing. Continue to hold, please!

If U leaves Pit some people are under the impression that a LUV or JetBlue will come in and make it a hub....Wrong! Yes we could get them to come into Pit, maybe the combined carriers will have a total of about 20 flights a day..max! Each will have a full time manger and 30-40 part time employees. Gone will be airport vendors, hangars, training centers and resevervation centers. One walk up and down C or D concourse will give you an indication of what the new Pittsburgh International Airport will resemble!

----------------
On 4/10/2003 8:01:53 PM A&P Tech wrote:
I really worry when local residents make this type of statement. When the hotels and "fast food joints" start to shut as a result of a major employer leaving this will cause a ripple effect through out the area. It may not effect you at first but when the real estate tax base starts to erode and the real estate markets gets flooded, your taxes go up and the value of your property goes down, then you may begin to care. Just be careful what you wish for......Many communities would love to have Usair and the employees.

----------------​

I''ve heard this song and dance before, if the sports teams leave, we are all going to hell in a handbasket. If the steel mills leave, we are all going to hell in a handbasket. BFD. No doubt it''ll be a hard time for all (for the record, I work as a consultant so very rarely work in Pittsburgh; I just chose to live here) but I am willing to take that chance to stop being a one-horse show. Not being diversified has always been PIT''s major problem and to change that will require some tough decisions and some tough times. We already have had mass exodus of people from Pittsburgh and the bleeding has not stopped, so drastic times require drastic actions.

PS, My property taxes have already been raised dramatically due to reassessment, and now I''m expecting state taxes to rise dramatically (see Rendell budget) so it''s already all happening, might as well get rid of the knife in our back when we have the chance.

----------------
On 4/15/2003 4:15:33 AM flyin2low wrote:

It''s a BAC-146 on Mesaba
----------------​
Actually, it''s the Avro RJ85 that Mesaba operates for Northwest. The RJ85 is an updated version of the BAe 146 (which is currently flown by Air Wisconsin/United Express and was briefly operated by USAir subsequent to its purchase of PSA in the late 1980s). And Mesaba''s RJ85s are configured in a very comfortable 16F/53Y seating arrangement to stay within Northwest''s 69-seat RJ scope limitation. Not a bad way to travel -- it''s probably the most spacious RJ seating configuration currently in use in this country.

It''s also the front or coach of an MD-80 to DFW or a 737/A319/A320 to ORD or a MD-xx to ATL.

I''m US1 and AA GLD and DL GM. You learn to adjust. Millions of people connect to get to where they are going each and every day.

PITflyer is spot on. The only way that Pittsburgh is going to get any kind of long term stability is to stop being a one trick pony. There is very little point in bankrupting the city/county/state in order to please US.

Call the bluff and seal up A&B at PIT.