Limited PHL-JFK service

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
It looks like US/Republic is operating PHL-JFK with E170/175 aircraft. Now, it's Sundays only. Then it becomes daily, and then in January they are off the schedule.

Is this something that may stick long term, and if so - what is the purpose behind it? The PHL-JFK leg doesn't really allow for making *A connections (ditto for the return). Is it just meant to try and gain some NY passengers who would shop on price alone and sooner fly JFK-PHL-XXX (like Florida, Carib, West coast) than another NYC-XXX nonstop option?

But Sundays only? PHL-JFK at 8am. JFK-PHL at 10am. The first one works for bringing TLV-PHL passengers to a connection, but the JFK-PHL doesn't without making them wait about 10 hours on the layover.

Then in December it goes to daily, but PHL-JFK is 928pm, and returns JFK-PHL at 648am. Neither of those work for TLV flights.

Then it goes away in January all together....

How does this make sense, and where did the slot come from if CLT-JFK is still operating it's 4 daily flights?

Who knows, the current one is good to get the TLV people to NY and maybe the return is just to get the AC back into position.
The day that I figure out how scheduling thinks, wil be the day that I hang it up.

I doubt any of this is geared toward NYC folks trying to go to or from TLV. There are plenty of option for getting from NYC to TLV without going through PHL. The El Al non-stops are almost identically priced as LGA-PHL-TLV in mid-December.

Most New Yorkers would rather use LGA than JFK whenever possible (unless one lives in close proximity to JFK.)

Maybe they're just testing the market. I think they will be sadly disappointed. If US still had enough slots, they would be better served adding the flight to LGA, rather than JFK. Maybe Delta would trade back two LGA slots a day in return for 24 DCA slots. That sounds like a deal Tempe would jump at.

I doubt any of this is geared toward NYC folks trying to go to or from TLV. There are plenty of option for getting from NYC to TLV without going through PHL. The El Al non-stops are almost identically priced as LGA-PHL-TLV in mid-December.

Most New Yorkers would rather use LGA than JFK whenever possible (unless one lives in close proximity to JFK.)

Maybe they're just testing the market. I think they will be sadly disappointed. If US still had enough slots, they would be better served adding the flight to LGA, rather than JFK. Maybe Delta would trade back two LGA slots a day in return for 24 DCA slots. That sounds like a deal Tempe would jump at.

I guess that you aren't aware of how many travel to TLV that have originated at LGA, are you? Believe me, there are many that do so.

I guess that you aren't aware of how many travel to TLV that have originated at LGA, are you? Believe me, there are many that do so.

I know there are some that do. I compete with them (at extreme disadvantage) for seats all the time. (But there are never more than a handful....the express flights can't carry more than a handful.) Why in the world those folks endure the Mister Toad's Dash 8 ride to/from PHL is beyond comprehension. The only explanation I can figure is that all the real airline seats are taken, and LCC is a last-ditch effort, or, LCC is $3 cheaper (while adding 4 hours to a fight which is already a butt-busting 12+ hours.)

And adding one flight from JFK (which only works in one direction) is pretty weak justification for saying that it is to capture TLV passengers. How to they then get to PHL for the TLV flight? The early morning JFK departure, and sit in PHL from late morning until 9:15 at night? It's an absurd explanation for the new PHL-JFK service, don't you agree?

Once again, I no clue about the JFK flight. I think that DL currently runs a few flts in the same market, and from what I understand they are ending the PHL-LGA service.

I also question where US got the slots, and what the bigger strategy is for flying the route.