Low-wage Delta workers in NYC set for raise

southwind said:
Dude, spin it however you want but the National debt was at 8 trillion when the annointed one took office.
If by the "annointed one" you mean Barack Obama, then your numbers are incorrect:

On January 20, 2009, the total debt was $10.6 trillion and excluding the intra-governmental debt (the debt held by other parts of the federal government) leaves publicly-held debt of $6.3 trillion.   

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/search?startMonth=01&startDay=20&startYear=2009&endMonth=&endDay=&endYear=

FWAAA said:
I have a strictly mechanical/legal question:   This order applies (primarily) to the employees of various third-party contractors (Airserv, Globe, etc) as the employees of the airlines themselves are probably already above minimum wage.    So how does DL enforce the wages that its contractors pay those employees?   What if DL sends those companies a strongly worded letter demanding that those companies pay their employees more and the companies respond with a polite "go pound sand, Delta?"

Great question! Maybe the government is dealing with the vendors directly?

WorldTraveler said:
not really...
Yes really. If you can effectively tie mechanics and outsourcing amongst various carriers with a boost in pay for customer service (or "ground") functions more power to ya.

probably the same way the US government requires certain conditions of its contractors. If they don't provide, they lose the contract.

There is no reason that DL or any private employer can't require the same thing of its contractors. Of course DL has to be willing to pay higher contract costs or demonstrate its contract already is "rich enough" to provide for such minimums.

DL, like other airlines, already have performance minimums related to meeting corporate goals like on-time that most certainly result in higher costs to the contractor.
I doubt it. I haven't seen any of these particular contracts, but usually they will only cover paying "X" for services "A/B/C/D." There may or may not be a wage clause in there, but I'd be surprised. Performance guarantees are their own animal, and are separate from this.

What is basically being asked here is for AirServ, Globe, & co. to absorb more of the labor cost. Or to look at it another way, redistribute the wealth being created with those doing the creating...

Maybe NYC is enacting something like a Davis Bacon Act for all contracts/contractors at the airports under their jurisdiction? Forgive my ignorance on this, I have not taken the time to study the issue in depth. I know in Federal Contracts:

Davis-Bacon and Related Acts
Overview
The Davis-Bacon and Related Acts, apply to contractors and subcontractors performing on federally funded or assisted contracts in excess of $2,000 for the construction, alteration, or repair (including painting and decorating) of public buildings or public works. Davis-Bacon Act and Related Act contractors and subcontractors must pay their laborers and mechanics employed under the contract no less than the locally prevailing wages and fringe benefits for corresponding work on similar projects in the area. The Davis-Bacon Act directs the Department of Labor to determine such locally prevailing wage rates. The Davis-Bacon Act applies to contractors and subcontractors performing work on federal or District of Columbia contracts. The Davis-Bacon Act prevailing wage provisions apply to the Related Acts, under which federal agencies assist construction projects through grants, loans, loan guarantees, and insurance.

You may be right. That would seem to make the most sense. Maybe it ties in with your earlier thoughts of any airfield receiving AIP funds. Just a WAG...

the letter from the Executive Director of the Port Authority is here

http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/documents/lettertoairlinesand32bj.pdf

and says that they will (not could) enforce changes to airline use agreements.

As much as someone might want to argue the legality of it, unless only the 4 large carriers are targeted, everyone else is equally affected. Yes, the cost of doing business will go up in NYC but as longas everyone incurs the same increases, there is no advantage.

There are usually clauses in contracts that allow a contractor to pass on government imposed charges.

Reactions: 1 person
mighty nice of delta to raise their pay from $9.00 an hour to $10.00 an hour. there's a ground breaking move to beat the competition!

dfw gen said:
mighty nice of delta to raise their pay from $9.00 an hour to $10.00 an hour. there's a ground breaking move to beat the competition!
but the competition hasn't done it. Can you tell us why?

Reactions: 2 people
outstanding.

somehow I bet B6 can only be dragged in since they are already facing significant pilot raises.

And of course UA needs to do the same at EWR, law or not.

but the good news is for those workers who will benefit via the actions of AA and DL.

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts