LUVs take on the AA BK

Besides cleaning the plane, I can't thing of any work rule that we flight attendants have that are more restrictive then WN that wouldn't allow better aircraft utilization. We went to FAA minimums in 2003 and it took us a letter of agreement to get 8 hours behind the door again.

I don't think that is the message AMR takes into the bankruptcy process. Link below shows there are major areas to address in F/A contract.

http://www.aanegotiations.com/documents/FANegotiationsNewsletter2.pdf

So SWA doesn't have hubs and point to point? Then what do you call OAK, BWI, MDW, STL, DAL, ATL, PHL, PHX etc..?

The biggest thing AA wanted out of this deal was the increase in aircraft utilization. The thing holding them back was various pilot and FA work rules. Now, that does not appear to be an issue.
I didn't say that... I was saying that most network carriers have largely moved away from point to point except for the transcon markets in favor of hub flying. The primary exception is DL that does alot of point to point flying with RJs.
Yes, WN's hubs do serve large amounts of point to point and flow traffic... but their model simply will never serve many of the cities that a network carrier can serve with large hubs such as DFW and ATL etc.
What AA will be doing is taking the WN part of its model and flying it side by side with its network operation, if those reports are true.
And it could allow AA to recapture alot of business it has lost.
>
Whether WN knows about AA's plans or not, it is true that a strong, rejuvenated AA makes it a whole lot harder for WN to continue to grow as it has in the past few years. Despite what alot of people want to believe, WN has really only grown where network carriers have given it a lot of room to do so because of their own financial issues... that is why WN has not largely gone after DL or NW before that who both did a good job of defending their markets - and had low enough costs to do so.
AA would still be in STL and other of its shuttered hubs if it had low enough costs.

Reactions: 2 people
Besides cleaning the plane, I can't thing of any work rule that we flight attendants have that are more restrictive then WN that wouldn't allow better aircraft utilization. We went to FAA minimums in 2003 and it took us a letter of agreement to get 8 hours behind the door again.

Doing turn around from the east coast to the west coast like
JetBlue does is one example where I can see improvements
to flight attendants utilization. We currently do not fly turn arounds on transcons. Can you imagine the amount of money the company can save in hotel rooms. I also feel that the trip might be somewhat desirable because you can get a lot of hours in a single day and have more days off thought the month.

In case anyone was wondering if this is authentic, it is. I just confirmed it with people who got confirmation from WN Corp Comm earlier today.

E.

I think the issue of the SA FA's flying north of MIA might be due to US labor laws. Dunno about SA to NYC.

keep in mind this letter was written in the context of a merger between WN and FL that isn't going as well as WN mgmt expected... this could be another shot across the bow to labor to get accords or WN will dismantle the pieces of the FL acquisition... flying the network w/ existing WN and new hire resources has alot more potential to make money than if they have to bring in costly employees.... WN might have ended up paying a couple billion dollars for 30 or so LGA and DCA slots and some int'l operating capabilities for now but WN realizes they cannot shell out money to buy labor peace and if the labor aspects of the merger won't work, they'll dismantle the FL side and bring WN resouces to keep what is of value.
It is still true that a reorganized AA is a threat to WN's growth plan since AA has provided alot of WN growth in the past but you still have to look at the labor context.

Reactions: 2 people

If you posted the Snoopy dance because you have friends at AT, you might want to reconsider. WN can be quite ruthless when necessary. Shutting down AT, and serving the routes (that they want) with WN equipment and people is doable and possible. Dear Boeing would provide airplanes to their best customer in a split second if asked, and tell you that your order has been delayed because they accidentally knocked your airplane off the table while dusting. :lol:

If you posted the Snoopy dance because you have friends at AT, you might want to reconsider. WN can be quite ruthless when necessary. Shutting down AT, and serving the routes (that they want) with WN equipment and people is doable and possible. Dear Boeing would provide airplanes to their best customer in a split second if asked, and tell you that your order has been delayed because they accidentally knocked your airplane off the table while dusting. :lol:
That was in response to WT's response regarding how LUV has to now deal with this as well as the ATL Delta competition.

I wish no ill will on any on the AT or LUV operation. They need to stop eating their own before someone else eats them.

I don't think that is the message AMR takes into the bankruptcy process. Link below shows there are major areas to address in F/A contract.

http://www.aanegotiations.com/documents/FANegotiationsNewsletter2.pdf
This info is from the company..... got my drift!!! Really??

A lot of hand wringing and a shot across the bow to SWA employees. Will be interesting to see how things play out over at SWA over the next few years.

The airline industry without airfare price control is a race to the bottom. The bottom in every category... That's that.

Reactions: 1 person